• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callifornia Earthquake Could Be the Next Katrina

-----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Re: Callifornia Earthquake Could Be the Next Katrina

I read this today in the LA Times too. I thought I was prepared fairly well, until Northridge. Now I have all my wallhangings stuck to the walls, lots of extra water, my gas valve has an auto shut off but there's a wrench nearby just in case (let me tell you, after you smell gas in your home after a major earthquake you never forget that smell and the thoughts of "oh my god" rushing through your head), my shelves are arranged so that the heavy stuff is at the bottom, lighter at the top, big wall units are attached to the walls, I keep a pair of old shoes right under my bed with a flashlight inside of one. You just cant be prepared enough.

Comment

Lightbeers Earthquake Emergency Kit:

One box of Tic Tacs

When the big one hits I find the sexiest woman around and give her a deep passionate kiss, then I look into her eyes and say "Did the earth just move, baby?"

But seriously remember on the gas meters everyone 1/4 turn with the wrench. Unless ya wanna be fancy with it, then 3/4 turn works as well.
      I find it hard
      It's hard to find
      Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Comment

I just got one of those "crank radios", and have plenty of water and other supplies at home, and have also stocked my Girlfriends place...

When a Disaster hits, the FIRST line is YOU!!!! You need to be prepared, and stock up, have tools and supplies, and can't expect a Limo to come to your front door and pick you up...

Also, you need to listen to the warnings, and while there are no warning for Earthquakes, other types of disasters can provide warning, and when they tell you to move and get out... DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Please take a few minutes and think about your future safety!
        Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
          But seriously remember on the gas meters everyone 1/4 turn with the wrench. Unless ya wanna be fancy with it, then 3/4 turn works as well.
          The Gas cutoff is simple to understand, if the "Knob" is running with the length of the pipe, it is ON, if the "Knob" is opposite (90 degrees), or looking like it is blocking the pipe, then it is OFF!
          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

I purchased an Emergency Preparedness Kit 2 months ago just in case, and I have extra food and water. Plus, I've got camping equipment just in case.

The last big quick in L.A. proper was 94. It's now 2005.

To quote Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this". :unsure:
            Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
            http://www.ericedunn.com/

Comment

You can Build a very nice Kit for around $100. For those of us who pay over $100 per month for insurance, just think of this as your OWN Insurance.
              -----------------------------------------------
              DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

Luckily, my school is pretty far from a fault line, and our buildings are all very sturdy. (Which can make it hard to get wireless, but that's a relatively small price to pay.) I don't really have an earthquake kit or bottled water or anything like that, mainly because I don't have anywhere to put it, but I feel fairly confident that with a $1 billion endowment, Pomona will be able to take care of its students.

At least, I sure as hell hope so. I might just give Campus Life a call tomorrow and ask just how prepared we are for something like this...

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

The standard is be prepared to spend 72 hours on your own before the city, county, state, etc can mobilize. You might get lucky and have help sooner but don't count on it.

Make a menu for three days, to know how much food you'll need. A gallon of water per person per day, more if you have dehydrated food and for sanitation. First aid kit, copies of important papers, money, change of clothes, blankets, soap. Everything you could possibly need for three days. Keep it in a secure location and rotate anything that needs to be fresh. The big thing there is water. Change it every 6 months or so.
                  I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

It is very good to be prepared. Back in 1989 our city distributed door to door and delivered a booklet titled "Community-wide Earthquake preparedness and winter storm workbook." At the time I was a newly divorced mom with a handicaped daughter and a one and a half year. I went through that workbook and studied and got prepared. Six months after the booklet was left at my doorstep the Lome Prieta Earthquake hit. Our home was a shambles (the gas oven flew out of the wall!), but I had what we needed to for three days until the power was restored.

I think it would be important for those of us traveling to Southern California to be mindful of the possibility of an earthquake. We should pack emergency supplies in our car. Actually, having supplies in your car is a good idea in case you are not able to get back to your house, or if your house is collapsed.

I heard on the news (last night or this morning) that something like 85% (I think) of Californias are not insured for earthquake damage. Our family does carry it, yes it's expensive, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

MeiMei
                    Boo!

Comment

My dad determined that given deductibles and how much he'd have spent on earthquake insurance, the Northridge earthquake was basically a wash, damage-wise. And we lived IN Northridge!

So uh... earthquake insurance is too expensive.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Emergency response and recovery to the Northridge quake was stellar. FEMA was on the scene instantly, the city was back to near-normal operation within a matter of days.

The key is for officials to learn what lessons they can from Katrina, for individuals to take the responsibility to be prepaired themselves, and move forward. Anything more than that, or trying to predict a disaster equal to Katrina is unproductive fear mongering.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                          Insurance by definition is a gamble. Our house required $100,000 worth of repairs plus property loss plus lodging costs while we were displaced for the repairs. My parents' deductible was $20,000. The insurance was clearly worth it.

Of course, since Northridge, basically the only earthquake insurance available is the state program which doesn't cover much. But it doesn't take much to leave you with nothing. And while the premiums in the long run might end up costing you more than you ever get back, it's much easier to pay those premiums over the years and only have to pay the deductible in an emergency than to try to come up with $100,000+ all at once at the time of a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                            My dad determined that given deductibles and how much he'd have spent on earthquake insurance, the Northridge earthquake was basically a wash, damage-wise. And we lived IN Northridge!

I felt that way, too, but for $43.00 a month, I sleep a bit better at night.

I would like to add, the insurance company business is such a tangled web. I find nothing as confusing as reading my declarations page! It is a foreign language to me. There is nothing, absolutely nothing clear cut, except the premium due!
                            Boo!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon
                              Insurance by definition is a gamble.

No kidding. My mom had around $12,000 in damage, nothing compared to so many folks and pretty darn good for only being 3 miles from the epicenter. Her deductible was $10k. Luckily she got an SBA loan that she's still shelling out like $67 a month on.

And I'd like to 2nd the way FEMA handled the quake in '94. Granted we were out of power for I think 3 days and gas wasn't turned on for a week and we had to treat the water for a week or so they did a really good job IMHO at the time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X