Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing anything special on Earth Day (April 22)?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing anything special on Earth Day (April 22)?

Doing anything special on Earth Day this Thursday?

Doing anything "green"?
    Doing anything with a focus on environmental sustainability?

I'm hoping to catch a show of Oceans in the evening.

Re: Doing anything special on Earth Day (April 22)?

It's my mom's birthday. So yeah we're doing something special, maybe just not green.

Comment

funny coincidence, it's my boyfriend's birthday on that day too! and i'm gonna end up eating fish. yuckity yuck.
      Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
      You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
      Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
        and i'm gonna end up eating fish. yuckity yuck.
        Eat fish... then see Oceans. )

Comment

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
          Eat fish... then see Oceans. )
          or watch Oceans then eat fish, that would be hard to do )

Comment

not really, in opinion this day is nothing but preachy. although it is a nice concept though.

Comment

I have to work....so neither green or special.

Although, I DO make sure to cut up the soda's plastic thingies!

Comment

Buying Avatar on Earth day.
                "You are watching FOX"

Comment

School.

Maybe I'll go see Oceans over the weekend. I never saw Earth but, eh, why not?
                  -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

I'm taking my hummer out to the dunes to spend the whole day test driving it. I got new seats put in it, so I need to break them in. After that, probably some nice fast food for dinner. Other than that, nothing.

Comment

I'm gonna be green by driving 20 minutes away to get a free hat from the Disney Store lol Unless I am too lazy
                      Good morning, son
                      In twenty years from now
                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                      It was pain
                      Sunny days and rain
                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Going to go on my annual Rachel Carson Drive Around Town For No Particular Reason tour
                        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

I think I'll burn a bunch of plastic in the stove, dump some used engine oil out on the driveway, and maybe take a bunch of glass bottles out in the desert and target practice on them. Then I'll leave the shards where they lay. lol.

Seriously, I just cannot get into the 'green' thing. I tried to a few years ago, but it didn't work out any too well.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I decided to 'do my part' at cutting back on my carbon footprint, and began saving money to buy a solar system to put on my roof. In a few years, I had enough saved up to get a system that would generate enough electricity to cut my electric bill to almost zero.

I had already installed a few such systems for the company I work for, (don't be fooled by all the techspeak, they're incredibly simple to design and install), so I designed my own. I got a few quotes that would meet my budget for material from several different suppliers.

I called the power co. (since my system would backfeed their system, they have to approve it), no problems there. The person I talked to was knowledgeable and helpful.

Looking good so far.

Then I called the city building department. I was told that I'd need an engineers stamp on the drawings (that should have been a huge red flag, but....), so I had one of the engineers at the company I work for stamp it. So I submitted my drawings in order to get the building permit.

I got a letter from the building department a few weeks later, it had a list of demands that had to be met before they'd issue the permit. The list had about 8 or 9 items on it, each item had 2 or 3 requirements.

One or two items on the entire list actually had anything to do with my system. The rest were nothing more than a display of arrogant incompetence by the building official.

I decided that I really didn't want my simple little $35,000 three weekend solar project to be turned into a $200,000 six month nightmare at the hands of yet another overbearing incompetent government agency.

So, that was the end of my attempt at energy independence, and also very likely the end of anything 'green' that I'll ever do again.

Rob

Comment

i see this thread has gotten sarcastic )

but i may do something green, or more green

Comment

I've been spending the day hugging trees, eating soy granola, walking around in Birkenstocks (with and without socks!), singing folk songs, and, um, uh, volunteering to feed homeless animals some vegan leftovers.

Oh, all right, who am I kidding? I haven't done anything special. Hell, my A/C is still on at home, full blast. I like it chilly when I step in the door.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X