This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Fingers

When I was little I never really noticed it, but cartoon charters have four fingers. Then one day dad noticed it, ever since then I have pondered why. By the way, why do cartoon charaters have four fingers?

Re: Four Fingers

I am a cartoonist and the reason why is because it is easier and cheaper. I mean think of all the lead that is saved over the years and all that saved lead means saved money

And when you are doing a film that takes 24 frames per second or a 30 minute show such as the simpsons that has been around for years, all the money saved from simple things like saving lead by drawing four fingers, not five, can definitely be beneficial in the long run

There is also the case as to how attractive a character would look with four or five fingers.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 12-28-2005, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The usual rule of thumb is: more realistic human characters have 5 fingers, cartoony characters have 4.

Take a look at Snow White for good examples. While the dwarves all have 4 fingers, and normal-sized human characters have 5.
      -Tim

Comment

Easier to animate. The simpler you keep the character forms, the quicker and cheaper you can work. The savings isn't so much in materials as it is in labor hours.

If you watch your middle and ring finger, they often work in tandem anyway, so from a visual standpoint, it's highly unnecessary to animate the ring finger, as it would just do what the middle finger does anyway.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum
          The usual rule of thumb is...
          Rule of thumb! HA HA!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Pacha
            Rule of thumb! HA HA!!! )
            I figured somebody would find it funny....
            -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Difrnt_Daughter
              When I was little I never really noticed it, but cartoon charters have four fingers.
              :ot: HEY KID - 13 is still little. The Dad. :ot:

Everyone else: Thanks for being so nice to my kid. These answers are really great!

Comment

Thank you for the answer I would of never thought of them.
                Thank You,
                Difrnt_Daughter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X