• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laura678
    Empress of Randomness
    • Feb 2006

My First Interview/Job

So im going for my first interview for my first real job on Thursday morning...

I'm really nervous....Has anybody got any advice or tips?

Thanks

Laura

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• DMof2
    most magical vaca ever
    • Sep 2005

Re: My Fist Interview/Job

Just be yourself... don't let them see you nervous and have a good hand shake

Good Luck !!!
    ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

• NeverNeverland
      Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Don't forget to breathe!!

and prepare... Look up common questions interviewers ask.
      THey usually ask what are your strengths/weaknesses... Turn yioour weakness into something positive!
      Good morning, son
      In twenty years from now
      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
      And I can tell you 'bout today
      And how I picked you up and everything changed
      It was pain
      Sunny days and rain
      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• poohnpiglet
        • Apr 2005

So I have the what not to do example. At my last job I sat in on the interviews for the front desk job. The interview was going well at the end we had some routine questions.
        So we asked "Seeing as how nobody is perfect what would you say is your biggest weekness?"
        To wich she answered "Well, I am not very reliable."
        What, we almost fell out of our chairs.

Good luck to you on you interview.
        "You can't judge a book by its cover."
        "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

Comment

• ieffectfor_disney
          • Oct 2005

I don't really have any tips because well.. I'm 19 and haven't had to interview for a "real" job before that isn't working at a restaurant. I'm here to offer you well wishes though! Good luck

Comment

• Mr.DooDah
            there's always my way...
            • May 2005

Im the interview king, I ace them like crazy, here is what you do. First greet with a smile and a hand shake, Smile, thank them for taking the time to do the interview, SMILE, never never speak slang, SMILE, be yourself, know your company,be prepared, take a pen, for weakness question say " Im a workaholic" never be negative. and last but not least ask questions and not about money, you ask that at the time of offer. any more advice let me know, I pride myself on xlnt interviewing.
            Last edited by Mr.DooDah; 06-26-2006, 07:59 AM.
            Come to the dark side,
            we have cookies.

Comment

• Laura678
              Empress of Randomness
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ieffectfor_disney
              I don't really have any tips because well.. I'm 19 and haven't had to interview for a "real" job before that isn't working at a restaurant.
              OK well im 16 and im being interviewed for banqueting staff in a hotel...i called it a real job because my previous job was stripping beds and cleaning dishes in a bed and breakfast!

Thanks for all of your advice and if you have any more please tell me....im really nervous!!!

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Comment

• Max Fischer
                That Guy
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mr.DooDah
                ...for weakness question say " Im a workaholic" never be negative. .

With all due respect, that answer is super played-out. When I am on an interview panel and I hear that answer, I roll my eyes. Also, if the company is at all aware of reality, they wouldn't want a 'workaholic' working for them, as workaholics are typically unbalanced and work excessively to avoid problems they should be facing.

Here is the best 'weakness' I have ever heard during an interview.

"My weakness is that I do not speak another language. I know how valuable it would be to be able to communicate effectively in another language, but I have had a hard time learning."

Ka-blam!! Talk about a neg into a pos!

Comment

• Max Fischer
                  That Guy
                  • Apr 2005

Laura,

Also, do some research on the company you want to work for. It is good in an interview if you can provide some information on the employer. Remember, you're interviewing THEM also.

Another thing to remember. You can teach a monkey how to do most jobs, but you can't teach good people skills and customer service. Let them see your personality and that will go a long way. It is 100% okay to smile, laugh if appropriate, etc. Remember they are stuck sitting in chairs all day, hearing the same answers to the same questions... ZZZzzzzzz

Also, always try for the earliest interview in the day. The WORST slot is right after lunch. You almost have to set yourself on fire to be noticed then, as the panel is tired from lunch.

Good luck, you'll do great.

Comment

• Laura678
                    Empress of Randomness
                    • Feb 2006

[quote=Max Fischer]

Also, do some research on the company you want to work for. It is good in an interview if you can provide some information on the employer. Remember, you're interviewing THEM also.
                    Well the hotel just reopened in May after a 6 month revamp...it has 4 stars now...I made my communion there...i used to go there every sunday for dinner...i was a member of their leisure club for 2 years...but i've only been there once since it was re-opened and wasnt that impressed...anyway i know a lot about the hotel...i know there was a fire there 5 days ago...not a big fire though...it was in the extension thats still not finished....what can you really know about a hotel?

Also, always try for the earliest interview in the day. The WORST slot is right after lunch. You almost have to set yourself on fire to be noticed then, as the panel is tired from lunch.
                    My interview is at 10am...i handed my cv in 2 weeks ago and i didnt hear anything back from them, which i thought was quite rude...even if they were'nt interested they could have rang and said we have received it, all positions are full, we'll keep it on file etc....so I rang them today and asked had she received it and then she asked me to come in for the interview...

Thanks for all your good luck...please keep the advice coming!!1

Comment

• Morrigoon
                      insufferable know-it-all
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Max Fischer

"My weakness is that I do not speak another language. I know how valuable it would be to be able to communicate effectively in another language, but I have had a hard time learning."

Best answer I have ever heard to that question.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• Morrigoon
                        insufferable know-it-all
                        • Jan 2005

Laura: First of all, dress up for it. I'm always shocked at what some teens think is appropriate interview wear (man, you should see the TDA waiting room these days! I think I saw one girl in flip flops last time I was there!)

Basically dress as you would for church, not a date.

And smile.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• Laura678
                          Empress of Randomness
                          • Feb 2006

Im going to wear basically the same outfit i wore to my brothers confirmation....

Its a nice pair of jeans that arent "bell bottoms...or flares", a white v-necked t-shirt that has a collar...and a liht green zippy jumper... shoeswise either deck shoes/boat shoes...or my new clean runners, or converse...

Comment

• Hyperbole
                            I'm your huckleberry.
                            • May 2005

Be sure to sent a "Thank You" card to the interviewer as soon as you get home! In the card, mention something specific that you discussed in the interview a la:

"I was very interested to hear of your plans to update the banquet scheduling system. Innovative company's really have an edge, and this is one of the reasons I would appreciate the opportunity to work for xxxxxx"

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Laura678
                              Empress of Randomness
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hyperbole
                              Be sure to sent a "Thank You" card to the interviewer as soon as you get home! In the card, mention something specific that you discussed in the interview a la:

"I was very interested to hear of your plans to update the banquet scheduling system. Innovative company's really have an edge, and this is one of the reasons I would appreciate the opportunity to work for xxxxxx"
                              Oh right...ive never heard of anybody sending a thank you card to an interviewer....

my dads has done business with the manager before so hopefully if he (the manager) finds out about the interview he can put in a good word for me!!!

Comment

• Hyperbole
                                I'm your huckleberry.
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by Laura678
                                Im going to wear basically the same outfit i wore to my brothers confirmation....

Its a nice pair of jeans that arent "bell bottoms...or flares", a white v-necked t-shirt that has a collar...and a liht green zippy jumper... shoeswise either deck shoes/boat shoes...or my new clean runners, or converse...
                                NO JEANS!!!! If I were an interviewer, I would never hire someone who came into an interview in jeans. And absolutely no tennis shoes either! Slacks and a nice blouse and dressy shoes.

Oh, and keep the jewelry and perfume to a minimum. In fact, its sometimes better to leave the perfume off altogether.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                                Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Laura678
                                  Empress of Randomness
                                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hyperbole
                                  NO JEANS!!!! If I were an interviewer, I would never hire someone who came into an interview in jeans. And absolutely no tennis shoes either! Slacks and a nice blouse and dressy shoes.

Oh, and keep the jewelry and perfume to a minimum. In fact, its sometimes better to leave the perfume off altogether.

Ok, Well deck shoes it is then....but jeans...everybody wears jeans...And they are nice jeans...they cost me 89 euro!!! which is like $112!!!

Jewellery...i have little pearl earrings, and a pearl necklace that are the same size pearls as the earrings...they are really nice actually...and pearls are 'in' here

Comment

• Mr.DooDah
                                    there's always my way...
                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                                    With all due respect, that answer is super played-out. When I am on an interview panel and I hear that answer, I roll my eyes. Also, if the company is at all aware of reality, they wouldn't want a 'workaholic' working for them, as workaholics are typically unbalanced and work excessively to avoid problems they should be facing.

Very true, good call, I also say i do not like to leave until my work is done, I guess you can say Im obsesive over my work. which to others may seem negative. what ya think?
                                    Come to the dark side,
                                    we have cookies.

Comment

• Mr.DooDah
                                      there's always my way...
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Laura678
                                      Ok, Well deck shoes it is then....but jeans...everybody wears jeans...And they are nice jeans...they cost me 89 euro!!! which is like $112!!!

Jewellery...i have little pearl earrings, and a pearl necklace that are the same size pearls as the earrings...they are really nice actually...and pearls are 'in' here
                                      Jeans no mater what price are not the right thing to wear for an interview.
                                      Unless its a construction job. First impression say it all.
                                      Come to the dark side,
                                      we have cookies.

Comment

• Laura678
                                        Empress of Randomness
                                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mr.DooDah
                                        Jeans no mater what price are not the right thing to wear for an interview.
                                        Unless its a construction job. First impression say it all.

I hear what ye all are saying and im taking it into account...but im 16...what else does a 16 year old reall wear other than jeans...

What do ye suggest i wear...i have vlack trousers but they arent nice...and thay have pink on them so id have to wear a pink top and i havnt got one that matches nicely....

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X