This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is freaking out!

The 4th of July is just the absolute worst time of the year to own a pet. My dog (a big St. Bernard) just hates it! I let him in the house to try and calm him down and he's just been pacing. 2 years ago, he actually dug out of our then chain link fence and took off.

Anyone else have a pet that gets neurotic this time of year?
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: My dog is freaking out!

I used to. My first dog, Pokey, was this short chubby cockapoo mutt thing, loved her to death. She was quiet, well behaved, until July 4th, then look out! She used to somehow manage to scale the 6' tall brick fence and run away. No matter what we did, she would always get out. One time she was gone for 2 weeks and I was so heartbroken, until one day she was magically just sitting on her usual perch on the patio table, muddly with a couple cuts, but healthy none the less.

My coworker has to give his dog a tranqulizer. Poor thing literally goes berzerk with fireworks.

Comment

yes, my dog does not stop whining and barking at all! she just cant stand loud noises, nor vacuum cleaners, nor spray bottles, or fake trees... she's a weird dog but fireworks scare her most.

Comment

If you can't get anything from the vet to help, most petsmarts have the treats that are made with natural calmers. They work on the cats and our neighbors large dog. You might what to check those out. Also if you can find music that has the beat/sound as the firerworks and you play it and they won't notice the noise as much. This does work better if it is done a few times before the noise but I do it all day for the cats. I started giving them just a few treats on friday, and tonight I will give then more thur tomorrow night.
        Goodluck
        aka Sara

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

One of my children
        isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating :sleep:

Comment

The dogs we have now aren't to bad with the fireworks. Now wind... thats another story. One of our dogs has gone through our bedroom window, and torn up the chain link fence more than once because of wind.

One of the dogs we use to have however, WAS afraid of noise. On the 4th she would run to our bedroom and bury herself under the bed. Thankfully she was a small dog.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Tanner just gets really clingy. He moves so that he's always between me & something (like a wall, a desk, the couch, etc.) You'd think he'd be used to it since we hear the DL fireworks every night, but I guess the 4th of July fireworks do sound different.
            <o>

Comment

Poohdog just hangs out by the back door. He has a breezeway type area that his dog house is in. He will stay there for the entire night.

I have noticed that the rats seem to react to the noises outside. We have had some fire crackers going off around us tonight...they aren't very happy girls right now.

Comment

Wow. Rats?

Comment

Yeah, my old dog did not like July 4th. The last straw was coming home one July 4th and finding out that apparently that he was scared enough to try and hide inside the oven.
                  Afterwards, every year thereafter we just tranqed him, and he happily slept like a baby through all the explosions. Poor little guy.
                  The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Our little schnauzer is scared to death of fireworks, she'll run and hide under whatever she can find, and we'll find her curled up shaking. I've held her, to calm her and she was shaking so bad, and her nails dug into my shoulder, leaving deep red marks. Poor baby.
                    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

My cats tend to go hide under the bed but nothing major usually happens with them.

My mothers old dog Lady used to run back and forth from the front door and the back door because she couldn't keep up with all the booming, it was the funniest thing I ever saw her do.

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen
                        The 4th of July is just the absolute worst time of the year to own a pet. My dog (a big St. Bernard) just hates it! I let him in the house to try and calm him down and he's just been pacing. 2 years ago, he actually dug out of our then chain link fence and took off.

Anyone else have a pet that gets neurotic this time of year?
                        Two of our dogs FREAK out during the 4th. We don't even let them outside at night in their own yard with being on a leash for fear they'll bolt off and get killed on the busy road at the end of our block.

Personally I prefer my fireworks over the castle right where they belong.
                        IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto
                          Wow. Rats?
                          Actually "domestic" rats can make really interesting pets. Our son had one for 5 years and we all actually got very attached to her.
                          IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Comment

Our cat is the biggest chicken. Any noise, especially t-storms, he'll run and hide under the stairs in the basement, and watching him run is so funny. But fireworks, you'll never find him, he's so far under those stairs.
                            Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

My annoying neighbors will light the freegin things off for weeks prior and after--right in the alleyway behind our house. Tonight, they'll stay out there, drunk, lighting the noisemakers until 3 in the morning.

However, the unexpected benefit is that Penelope (the dog) grew up with it, so she actually handles it pretty well, but, like Pixie Chick's pup, she gets a bit clingy.

The cat? She just goes to her window and chainsmokes and kvetches all night. She's the one I worry about, she's older and grew up in farm country and doesn't like it.

Peace and a happy Fourth!
                              Roo
                              husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X