This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help From Music Fans, Please

Hey all! My eleven year old daughter has a friend who is a major guitar fan. For the spring talent show, he played Ironman on his electric guitar, so he knows about Black Sabbath. They both love the Ramones and I know he likes Zeppelin.

His birthday is next week, and since my daughter is at camp, she put me in charge of getting together a list of albums to copy for him. We want to make him a CD collection of classics, or just great music in general.

I figured I would throw it out there....I need some help!

Any guitar fans out there who have a favorite guitarist, a favorite performance? What bands should I look into? Which albums?

All I know is the Guitar Man by Bread, and I'm thinking that's not quite something he'd be into.....

Re: Help From Music Fans, Please

First ones that come to mind for me are, early Van Halen, Hendrix and Ozzy but only the Randy Rhodes tunes.
    Sounds like a fun project

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Jimmy Hendrix! Amazing guitarist.

Comment

Tina's list is really good. Metallica has some good guitar solos and riffs. My favorite guitar player was Dimebag Darrell from Pantera...... Shot in the face on stage for no reason. Pantera was WAY heavy, so he might not like them......wuss. Tom Morrello from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave is really really good as well. Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden all have great guitar players. OH and I could come over and play guitar for you guys if you want.
        I find it hard
        It's hard to find
        Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Comment

Gutar you say?

Clapton, Clapton, a million times Clapton.
          St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
            Pantera was WAY heavy, so he might not like them......wuss.
            Um, he's eleven. Get off his back, dude. :lol:

Thank you....keep em coming!!

Any particular Audioslave or Hendrix albums?

I like Foo Fighters and have two Foo albums....would those be good? Or uncool. I burned him a Gorillaz CD that he admired when he was over here, that's how I got the idea.

He invited Court to see Bowling for Soup tomorrow night, and I volunteered to go in her place since she's gone to camp....and all I got was uncomfortable silence. :lmao: So BfS is a possibility, too.

Comment

I <3 Gorillaz! Also, my mom kinda raised me on Bon Jovi and Ritchie Sambora is terrific!

As for cool music... I like Postal Service, the KILLERS! and Gnarles Barkley!

OhhHhhhh.. there is a really cool song from Coheed and Cambria called Welcome Home.. It gives me chills!! The end vocals are to DIE for and the guitar in the begining!! AWESOME! I actually recommend everyone to at least listen to this song once through. Here is a myspace page with the song on it.... the song should play when you click on the page! http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=102231059

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Missviolet; 08-21-2006, 12:14 AM.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

I know that this comes from the Stone Age, but if you want to expose him to some great guitar regardless of era, it's hard to go wrong with Dick Dale or Duane Eddy from the 60's surf era.

I also recommend ...Stevie Ray Vaughn...

(Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn - Big Trouble 1 and 2...classic)

Along the Watchtower by Hendrix (song, not sure of album)

And among others...Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing)

Hope this helps a little at least

--Barry
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell
                  Any particular Audioslave or Hendrix albums?
                  Audioslave has 2 albums, pick one! It doesnt matter which one.

Hendrix, For Albums I'd say "Are You Experienced" "Axis: Bold as Love" and "Electric Ladyland" Also he has a song called "If 6 was 9" from the "Easy Rider" soundtrack. Best song ever!

.....Little Wing. Best Hendrix solo.
                  I find it hard
                  It's hard to find

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
                    I also recommend ...Stevie Ray Vaughn...
                    Yes!! Its twangy blues, Stinks fav. But seriously SRV was one of the best guitar players ever. He played Jimi's songs better than Jimi sometimes.
                    I find it hard
                    It's hard to find

Comment

You cant go wrong with AC/DC the Back in Black album, Yngwie Malmstien what a killer guitarist he is and some Dio.
                      Come to the dark side,
                      we have cookies.

Comment

I agree with DMom about Van Halen, Eruption alone is worth the price of the Album.
                        What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Already some greats mentioned, but I''l add Queen for the guitar god that is Brian May. From the sounds of where his preference has been thus far, i would sayay seek out some of their harder rock songs as opposed to the more popular tunes.

Comment

I have to agree with everyone...the best: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen, and Jimi Hendrix.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
                              Yes!! Its twangy blues, Stinks fav. But seriously SRV was one of the best guitar players ever. He played Jimi's songs better than Jimi sometimes.
                              The Stevie Ray - Dick Dale CD's are classic. Included is a cover of the classic "Pipeline" which features some of the best guitar that I've ever heard.

--Barry
                              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X