No announcement yet.

The Mile-Long Yellow Ribbon Project

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mile-Long Yellow Ribbon Project

Some of you may have heard of this- it got a clip on the local news in SoCal.

It's called the Mile-Long Yellow Ribbon Project- I'll quote an article here to better explain it:

When Bush arrives at Los Angeles International Airport Tuesday evening, he will present the President's Volunteer Service Award to Matt Cook. Cook, 17, is the founder of the Mile-Long Yellow Ribbon Project, which was created with the goal of building support for the military among youngsters.
    Cook has traveled to 25 states to collect 10,000 signatures on a mile-long yellow ribbon that will be sent to the troops serving in Iraq.
    The Chadwick School senior is also the founder of the Matthew Cook and Friends Dolphin Research Fund to support research at Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute in San Diego.
    You can read the rest of the article at the link above. By the way, this project is not about whether or not you support the war- its about supporting our troops for fighting for freedom, and about taking the time to consider what freedom means to each of us.

This project is very special to me, because I actually know Matt Cook. I've known him for about two years now; we both are members of a club for young magicians (really) and we met there. We see each other at the monthly meetings. He had been absent a bit this year, and at our last meeting this past weekend, he told us all about the project, and that he would be meeting the President this week (today).

Anyway, Matt is a great guy and I'm happy for him on a great idea and project. Matt has also promised to bring (a part of) the yellow ribbon to a meeting so we can all sign it.

Very cool!

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.