This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am filled with so much pride today!

20 years ago two wonderful women, Bev Bailey and Elinore Trotter had a dream. A dream of a school for special needs children. They started small with a pre-school that for 19 years was hosted by a local Lutheran church. 10-12 years ago the Primary school was begun in a small building and eventually moved into a house across the street from the library here in Lawrenceville, GA. Eventually the dream was extended as the school expanded to Middle School. Than a long battle with the county to buy a piece of property began. During that period of time the school graduated it's first class of middle Schoolers into High School. Last year we finally secured and built on the new land and this year started classes across from the county fairgrounds. There is now a program for young men and women with Special Needs teaching them living skills that they need after going as far as they could in the public school system.

Ten years ago my mom started working with the school, first as a Kindergarten parapro, and now as the Office Manager. I immidiately fell in love with these children as I felt a special bond with them as I am also handicapped and definitely have "special Needs". I immidiately began volunteering any time I had to give to the school. Whether it was fundraising, helping out during the Summer camps and programs, or just coming by the school from time to time. I knew that one day that the school would have it's first High School graduation and that day has finally come!

Tomorrow night Rebecca Parkman becomes the very first High School Graduate of the Special Needs Schools of Gwinnett! With all the time and love I have invested in the school I am filled with so much pride to say and write those words. A dream that started 20 years ago has been fulfilled. You definitely don't know Rebecca, or the school that I speak of but I wanted to share my pride and joy with all my friends. It is truly a day of celebration.

Thanks for reading. Have a blessed day.
    Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: I am filled with so much pride today!

That's awsome BD .

Comment

Thats wonderful!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

What a great story! I'm so happy for you and your mom and everyone!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

BD -- your pride and love for this school shows through the words you type. I got chills and happy tears as I read this. Thank you for giving us a happy start to our day!
          I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
          then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

Okay, that's really awesome

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story Brian.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X