Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever play "amusement park" as a kid?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you ever play "amusement park" as a kid?

I did I did!

I used to build amusement parks in my backyard all the time for the neighbor kids.

There is an alley behind my moms house, so when a shopping cart miraculously ended up in the alley, I immediately turned it into a ride. A kid would get in, and I'd push them around the alley following a "track" that I made up in my own head. I'd spin them around and go up a neighbors driveway because there was a small hill there. They loved it!

The backyard was chock full of rides. The tire swing became a "rocking ship" ride a-la Buccaneer at Magic Mtn. The tree from which it hung turned into the "SkyTree" where you could climb up and view the surrounding area. The wheel barrow ended up being a roller coaster going over ramps and curves made with wood. The red wagon became a monorail garden and trasportation tour (my dad had the yard totally pimped out with beautiful flowers all year long) and I'd turn the hose on and let the water go through the flowers like a stream (much to my fathers dismay as I usually flooded the area therefore killing many flowers with too much water :lol: ). Plus I'd have an arcade with some of my games and a food stand with juice and chips.

Am I the only one out there that did this as a kid?

Re: Did you ever play "amusement park" as a kid?

Oh. My. God.

Creepy isn't it. I did this too. I used to stage 'scenes' like a dark ride and then have my friends jump out as I pushed another in said cart.

One Halloween, my grandmother took me to the library and we studied Hollywood makeup we could do at home and then we sewed costumes. We then made a haunted house--once in the basement, once in the attic--for family and friends to walk through.

I am not alone. It is a good feeling.

Yep, a snack stand at the door to the attic or basement too.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

My 7 yr old daughter plays going to DLR all the time. She packs a suitcase and turns chairs and such into a car and all sorts of rides. She sets up her dolls and pretends she is in IASW which is her favorite ride.

Comment

We would make haunted houses in the garage. I do remember stuffing clothes with newspaper and putting a scary mask on the body and hanging it from the rafters. Pretty fun stuff.

Comment

Yea, my friend Rob and I never really outgrew it. So in 1988 when we were 21 we built a haunted garage in his folks house and did it annually (at different locations like my sisters house and at a parks rec center and a church hall) until they moved to AZ and built it "for real" in 2004.

At one point as a kid, I had a friend around the block and he had a park and I had a park and we made it very WDW with a "bike monorail" between the parks (basically you got on your bike and followed a specific path between yards). He was on a small farm and had geese and chickens and so of course it was an animal park with a roller coaster through a giant wood pile (caverns) and a giant teeter totter ride, among others.

Comment

When I was young, we had a small, soft chair that spinned around. Atleast two or three other kids could fit in it at the same time. So at night, they would sit in the chair, we would cover it with blankets and start spinning it around, shaking it, etc. We would play scary music too and pretend that it was zombies who were shaking the chair. Sometimes we would shake it to simulate a ride vehicle coming to an instant stop or tilt it fowards as if you were on a coaster going down a drop.

Fun times .

Comment

We didn't get really elaborate but my siblings and I would stand on the rocking chair pretending it was the Merry go round at Disneyland. It was all fine and dandy until my parents moved the chair towards the wall and my sister nearly lost part of her finger (her hands on the top, went back into the wall, and her finger was squished.). I would make bike ramps that we would name after roller coasters we knew about. They were made out of the stuff we found in the field behind our house, totally unsafe. We made one that was like 4 feet high, with bricks standing horizonatally... My sister went off that one and as soon as her bike went off the ramp, it fell apart.

Comment

Nope.

We did have a really great time sliding down the stairs on my Mom's Jazzercise mat though. We also had a tire swing, but we didn't pretend it was a ride -- we just enjoyed it for what it was! We also used to ride on my Dad's back like he was a horse... my poor Dad.. after a long day of working, I'm sure the last thing he wanted to so was get on his knees and give his three kids a ride around the living room. That's love!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

We used to do haunted house type stuff, not amusement park. But we would go all out and decorate the entire alley way with cobwebs and scary bugs and have people jump out.
                  Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I don't think the thought ever crossed our minds to play amusement park. We were too busy chasing each other around sticks pretending they were either swords or lightsabers (depending on the day).

Comment

Not amusement parks, but I used to make miniature golf courses in my backyard. My brother and I would also make haunted houses all the time; at any time of the year, too!

Comment

When I was a kid we lived in Indiana and my parents owned a 3200 sq ft house with a basement. Well the basement was of course, the entire size of the house. So frequently I would go downstairs and play. Some of the things I used to do were:

1. Created a ride through attraction with my hot wheels car, using different "junk" found in the basement as scenes in the attraction.
                        2. A roller skating rink.
                        3. A bumper car attraction. (The cat used to hide a lot when I did this one.) :evil:
                        4. An obstacle course again using the "junk" my parents used to keep in the basement. (I almost lost my finger playing this one, my fingernail on my right hand grows in three pieces, to this day, because of that obstacle course. LOL)

What was really cool was my parents owned a bunch of vinyl and we had a record player AND an 8 track player down there so I got a nice variety of music. My favorite song when I was a kid was "Puttin on the Ritz" :lol:

Great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by xalesa View Post
                          Not amusement parks, but I used to make miniature golf courses in my backyard.
                          Yep, did this too. I even took the lawnmower and mowed the grass REALLY short for the greens. Dad wasn't too happy with me about that.

Comment

O. M. G. - YES! :clap:

My brothers and I would build rides from scrap lumber, old wheels & tires, fabric, plastic - you name it - anything we could find in our garage or dig out of the neighbor hood trash cans. Anything that moved, spun or slid was a 'ride'. :lol:

Depending on the day, we would alternate the name of our park, from POP (a blast to the 60s past), to Knotts, or of course Disneyland. Our star attraction was my brother's decorated go cart, run by an old lawn mower engine. We had a spinning teeter toter and swings that were decorated too.

We'd also make exhibits like sea monkeys, neon growing rocks in water, bugs in jars. My brother would perform experiments with his chemistry set. And contests to see who could blow the biggest Wham-o Super-elastic Plastic bubble. :thumbup: The memory I have of the smell of that stuff is enough to make you high. :yuck: inch:

I ran the snack stand selling snow cones, bags of popcorn, easy bake oven cakes and lemonade. I had a hand crank, clown snow cone maker, with the rotating, metal ice shaver cylinder in his stomach. His face was scary, with a pointed, polka dot clown hat.

Another summer, we opened a 'restaurant' in our back yard called the Chuck wagon. We BBQ'ed burgers and dogs along with chips and cookies. We thought for sure we'd make a million bucks!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ya know in looking back, we played with some pretty dangerous toys that were probably loaded with lead paint, chemicals and god knows what else.

Awww, what great memories. Thanks Matt for stirring them up again. :thumbup:
                            ~~Jodi~~
                            Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas. :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by xalesa View Post
                              Not amusement parks, but I used to make miniature golf courses in my backyard. My brother and I would also make haunted houses all the time; at any time of the year, too!
                              Haha! I used to make mini golf courses in my backyard too. Also built a bmx track in my back yard.
                              I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
                              Gas For Car- $60
                              Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X