This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for boarding my cat?

I've had my kitty Julie for quite a few years now. In the past when I've traveled, we've either had friends, family or a professional pet sitter come in to visit and take care of her. She would usually also have "accidents" on the sofa or on the bed.

We've been thinking of taking her to a pet resort next time as we're going away for two nights next weekend (to WDW). Maybe she will be happier around other cats and people instead of being alone all day, except for a short visit from someone.

I've even thought about taking her with us, but we'd have to plan way ahead for that.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for boarding her? I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Any tips for boarding my cat?

Cats are ALWAYS more comfortable staying in their own home. Being around other cats won't be a treat. If at all possible, the best way is to have someone she knows come and feed her, etc.

It is so hard to leave animal babies! I worry about ours all the time when we are away.

Comment

I have to agree, all 3 of my cats would probably prefer staying home. Dogs don't have as much trouble with the boarding I think but cats have such distinct personalities, I can see where it might be more harmful leaving them boarded.

That isn't to say that people haven't had success with their cats but if you can leave her at home or with relatives, I would do that.

Comment

I say go get some plastic drop cloths and cover your furniture and leave her at home.

Comment

I have to agree with the other posters...cats would rather stay at home. Not only are they happier to stay in their own territory, you don't have to worry about kitty picking up any nasty bugs at a kennel.

Now, I've had the problem that my kitties get angry at me for leaving them. They have punished my unacceptable travel by pooping/peeing on the bed. So, I purchased a waterproof mattress cover from Walmart and use it as a drop cloth. Keep some extras on hand to change out in case there is an "accident". They are even cheap enough that you could just toss them if you want.
          Originally posted by All4dISNEY
          Words hurt.

Comment

^ aww, I understand that though. My Mimsy likes to put my socks in the water dish if I'm gone for too long. She also likes to give me a good cat yell when I get home if I've been gone for more than 2 days. :lol:

Comment

Cats HATE change... any kind of change. And just leaving kitty alone for a couple days isn't a big deal really. Just make sure she has more than enough food and water and clean the litterbox right before you leave. When I went to WDW for 3 days/2 nights the other weekend, both my boys were fine, but I did have the BF check on them on his way home from work the 2nd day I was away.

The only time I boarded was when JT wasn't even a year old yet, back in 2001, but I was going out of state for 10 days. Poor thing was totally freaked and was screaming and crying when I left him (which got me bawling too). He probably thought I was abandoning him. I did leave an old t-shirt of mine so he had something with my scent on it to comfort him to a point. After I was gone for a few days, I called the boarding place and they said "Oh after he stopped hiding under the litterbox, he's been fine!" LOL! He seemed soooo happy, yet pissed off when I came to pick him up. He was like "You're back! Don't EVER do that to me again!"

Comment

Boarding cats? Follow this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwK0WZ0Uqg
                WDW - 1987 & 1991
                DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                DLR - October 2011

Comment

Never waterboard your pets.
                  "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
                  1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012