This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Living in California

My boyfriend and I are thinking aobut moving down to California in the near future. I want to audition for Disneyland and he has some interests he wants to persue as well.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the approxiamte cost of living is in the Anaheim area? Such as the avarage cost of a one bedroom apartment etc.

Thank you for any help!!!!

Re: Cost of Living in California

Here's a calculator to help you with cost of living differences for various areas of the country: http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

Also, look at Craigslist to see what kinds of apartments are currently being advertised to get a better idea of how much an apartment down here costs.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Here's another COL calculator with more detailed information: http://www.moving.com/Find_A_Place/Relosmart/rs.asp

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
      Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

My roomie and I have a 2 bedroom 5 mintutes from the park for 1240 a month , shes been here longer and says this is cheap but don't let that deter you, I moved down here and followed my dream of working at disney and I'm making it on a disney income.
        Originally posted by LlamaLover
        Okay I just have to derail this thread one more time because JCG that was not a bad joke, it was high-lar-e-us! It is a good thing I was not drinking something because it would have ended up all over my screen. This image of your cat, fully dressed, requesting a photo shoot (in an English accent mind you) just really got to me. Wow, I need to go catch my breath and maybe see what was in that bottled water I was drinking earlier...

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Cruise Gal View Post
          My roomie and I have a 2 bedroom 5 mintutes from the park for 1240 a month , shes been here longer and says this is cheap but don't let that deter you, I moved down here and followed my dream of working at disney and I'm making it on a disney income.
          Let me also add that utilities in Anaheim are publicly owned and dirt cheap. I work from home and during the 2 summer months, the AC was pretty much on 24/7 and yet the total for 2 whole months of electricity and trash (the rest of the utilities are paid for by the apartment complex) was only $120, which means only $60/month. The only other monthly expenses I have here are internet bills. And gas is probably the cheapest in most of So Cal. The gas station down the street is already down to about $2.15/gal
          Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
            Let me also add that utilities in Anaheim are publicly owned and dirt cheap. I work from home and during the 2 summer months, the AC was pretty much on 24/7 and yet the total for 2 whole months of electricity and trash (the rest of the utilities are paid for by the apartment complex) was only $120, which means only $60/month. The only other monthly expenses I have here are internet bills. And gas is probably the cheapest in most of So Cal. The gas station down the street is already down to about $2.15/gal
            $2.15? Where?

I have lived here my whole life and my family owns the house we are in now. I'm not sure how much we pay but with 3 brand new cars we dont have much left to spend.
            sigpic
            KAC @ OCC

Comment

the biggest difference i've noticed in my trips back down to so cal...the food prices!

things i pay 2$ for here run anywhere from 3-4$ down there, so expect to pay quite a bit more for your groceries... I would reccomend Food 4 Less, they tend to run a bit cheaper.
              Will there be screams when the sun sets,
              -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
              elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
              Originally posted by pratt55
              Elly is adorkable.

Comment

when we lived in fullerton, ca (about a 10 minute drive from DL) we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment for $1250 a month, we had to pay all utlities including water.. all i can say very very expensive, this is why we moved to vegas

Friends for life

Comment

also your car insurance premiums will jump quite a bit unless you are coming from some other equally large metropolitan area
                  Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                  -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                  elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                  Originally posted by pratt55
                  Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatTK View Post
                    $2.15? Where?

I have lived here my whole life and my family owns the house we are in now. I'm not sure how much we pay but with 3 brand new cars we dont have much left to spend.
                    The AM/PM down on the corner of Euclid and La Palma actually. I personally don't mind too much because I drive a 2006 Toyota Prius, so I only put gas in about every 2 weeks and even then I'm only spending a little over $20 on gas even though I drive into downtown LA at least twice a week.

BTW, I :love: Ichigo Mashimaro. For some reason the cuteness overload of those lolicon shows just does it for me. Bottle Fairy was my previous obsession.
                    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

wow thanks you guys!! all very helpful! I am going to look into all of this some more...hopefully I can make it all work out!

Comment

The AM/PM down on the corner of Euclid and La Palma actually. I personally don't mind too much because I drive a 2006 Toyota Prius, so I only put gas in about every 2 weeks and even then I'm only spending a little over $20 on gas even though I drive into downtown LA at least twice a week.

BTW, I :love: Ichigo Mashimaro. For some reason the cuteness overload of those lolicon shows just does it for me. Bottle Fairy was my previous obsession.
                        I spend about $25-$30 ($2.25/g) a week on gas in my car. But I do a lot of local driving. Quite different from last year when I was going up and down from the San Fernando Valley all the time. When it comes to shopping for groceries I tend to go to Target, Albertsons and a place called Value+ (only for meat products).

I scoff when ever I see people pay 2-3 times as much for something when they can just hop on the bus for $1.25 and head down only a few minutes to a supermarket.
                        sigpic
                        KAC @ OCC

Comment

OK, I'm officially jealous! Up in the Pasadena area, in an apartment having no central air (just window ACs), the utility bill for ONE month over the summer was well over $200! And that was just having it on in the evenings and some overnights!

We've noticed the same thing about gas, so we try to gas up the car whenever we're down there. It's not too bad here, though... I think $2.30+ or so.
                          "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer )

Comment

I pay about $550/month for one of three rooms in a townhouse in a mediocre part of Anaheim... get by just fine on a CM income, but there's not much to spare beyond basic living expenses.

The comment about car insurance is a serious one, my rates went up by over $500/year just by moving 150 miles south into the real LA area. Food is a little more expensive than some places, but nothing like Hawaii or the truly pricey areas, and there are a lot of places aimed at low income people so it's not too bad.

Comment

this all sounds somewhat manageable. Our change will be huge becasue we are moving from Vancouver Canada... so I believe housing is somewhat comparable....but I odnt even understand gallons (we use litres) and there is the excange rate to consider too....but we will find a way to make it work!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X