This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you become a monorail pilot?

I've always wondered how one becomes a monorail pilot at Disneyland.

I've read some ancient accounts about how being a monorail pilot was sort of a coveted and dare I say, elitist position in the park. Is that still the case?

I'm sure they don't just hire someone and put them behind the wheel (or throttle) of a monorail. How do they determine that you are one of the chosen ones? Do you take a test, swear an oath, sacrifice a duck on the monorail beam?

Where do these people come from?

Re: How do you become a monorail pilot?

i believe that you need to hire into tomorrowland attractions, and then cross train onto it, but as i hear, you dont really drive it all that much, as you only drive it as you rotate from position to position.

but i am in ODV, so i may have it totally wrong. Good luck with whereever your monorail path may lead.

Comment

They check your driving record and whoever among the candidates has the highest number of points gets picked.

Comment

Originally posted by DLDCALVR View Post
        Good luck with whereever your monorail path may lead.
        Oh, I'm not looking for a job. I'm just curious.

As far as being a cast member goes, been there, done that.

Comment

I heard it's be managers' recommendations!!

Comment

You have to sleep with Mickey on the casting couch.
            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
              You have to sleep with Mickey on the casting couch.
              HAHAHA)
              Class of 2005...

Comment

It used to be cross-train only, by manager recomendation. Such is not the case anymore, since we've lost quite a few of our pilots and Monorail always seems to ride the line between short-staffed and a-ok.

Anyhow, when I became a pilot, I was recommended by a Trainer, Lead, A-Lead and TL manager. So, I went through the process that was supposed to be in place to be trained at Monorail.

Oh, and...we drive the train plenty. There are 3-4 positions at each station and we rotate through them all. We rotate each train, or when someone clocks in for work...when we have 2 trains, we are rotated rather quickly...with 1 train, not so much. I'd say that with 1 train, we only drive the train about once or twice before we are up for break.

But I have to say...it's nice to have a break from driving the train. Have you any idea how awkward it is to have 5 weird people staring at you in the nosecone? I mean, we have our amazing nosecone guests, but still....those select few that enjoy staring at you and not out the window...lol
                sigpic

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

Comment

They check how good you are at duck hunting

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X