This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Do You Pay Babysitters?

I asked this in the Gold club but I thought I'd ask here too...

I'm looking to get into (hourly) babysitting again and am wondering what to charge. I live in So Cal.

I have TONS of expirience, but I haven't sat since I moved here over 3 years ago, which also means I have no references.

Based on that, what do you think I should charge? I have no idea what the going rate is anymore

and if you're looking for a babysitter, PM me
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Re: How Much Do You Pay Babysitters?

The lady who used to watch my daughters charged $50-60 a day for both kids.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

I posted this a few months ago asking the same thing :lol: Mt daughter started babysittlg and I asked how much she should charge.
      She charges 5.00 an hour and she gets it to. that kid always has money :lol: She babysits tomorrow again, and usually this sitter gives her a straight 20.00 for 2 hours, or 35.00 for 5 She is a nice gal, and lives 2 houses down.

Comment

Yeah, I know karla, but I didn't want it to be buried in an old thread

I'm more interested in an hourly rate - since I can't afford to do it full time, at least not yet. Thogh probably never in L.A.!

$5 is definately too little - I DO have expirience and I was charging more than that before

bUt I am glad to see that she is raking in the dough!!!
        Good morning, son
        In twenty years from now
        It was pain
        Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

you get more then 5.00 ? thats cool. so do you have a job yet, or just trying to figure out a price yet?

Comment

I was making $8/hour in Colorado.
            I'm just saying that since I have more expirience, I would get paid more And I'm thinking that the pay is higher out here. But who knows. $5/hour would barely cover gas!

no jobs yet. Trying to figure out a price before I advertise more i'm hoping to start around here, where people know me, to get over the "no references" hump.
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
              I was making $8/hour in Colorado.
              I'm just saying that since I have more expirience, I would get paid more And I'm thinking that the pay is higher out here. But who knows. $5/hour would barely cover gas!

no jobs yet. Trying to figure out a price before I advertise more i'm hoping to start around here, where people know me, to get over the "no references" hump.
              I hope you get some great jobs Loriebeth!!you are such a sweet person I wish you were my baby sitter, and my friend here. Sending you big hugs hon and lots of prayers that you make good money and you are in great demand!!!

Comment

I wouldn't do anything for less than $10/hr. Granted I haven't babysat in over a decade so I'm just guessing here. I'd tell em you charge $10/hr for the first kid, second kid is free, third kid is an extra $2/hr. 2-hour minimum.

Figure typical parent evening out might be 6-11pm, that's 5 hours. I guess the question to pose to parents is, would you pay $50 for an evening free?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

I think $5 buck an hour is good, But you if have more then like 8 kids then ya you need to jack up the price. I guess it depends on how many kids there is . when I babysat as a teen I got paid like $40 bucks for about 6 hours witch to me was a lot as a kid ya know? but times have changed. I hope i was of some help?!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
                  MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

Comment

We live in a really nice urban neighborhood and hiring a babysitter (even a teen) for less than $12 is unheard of. Esp. for three kids. We used to pay a moonlighting nanny $15/hour to watch the girls when we went out.

Now that my daughter is almost twelve, we'll run out to happy hour, or dinner, never usually more than 2.5 hours and she'll watch our 8 and 5 year old for $5/hour.

She asks for $6/hour from my friends and they usually give her a bit more than that. I go with her and read a book and help with diaper stuff. I'll do that until I'm confident she's ready to be on her own.

There's a popular service that's based in our neighborhood that charges $11/hour during the day, more at night for three kids. My friend and I have used them--she has a 3 and 5 year old and I'll drop my 5 year old at her house, then she and I head out to lunch or shopping and split the sitter. It's been really nice! They do housework while they're there and although it's hard to get the same person twice, they've all been pro's.

In short--$10 minimum, $15 more likely!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
                      We live in a really nice urban neighborhood and hiring a babysitter (even a teen) for less than $12 is unheard of. Esp. for three kids. We used to pay a moonlighting nanny $15/hour to watch the girls when we went out.
                      I'd say $5/hour per kid sounds reasonable for babysitting.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                      Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

$10 for 2 kids, $12 for 3 and $15 for 4. I live in Nor cal and that's what I make.

Comment

Aside from your experience are you certified for CPR?

If you are then maybe that will help get you a liitle bit more money.
                          Originally posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair)
                          Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

Comment

I used to be cerified in CPR and First Aid but i'm not anymore. Good idea, though, I will look into getting that up to date!

I was thinking $10/hour.
                            Good morning, son
                            In twenty years from now
                            It was pain
                            Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                              I was thinking $10/hour.
                              In all honesty, I think that's really high. You can hire a nanny from a service for less than that.

I know you're older and have experience, etc., but keep in mind, for a job like babysitting, you're competing against 13 year olds who will work for MUCH less.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                              Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                              Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X