This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like to keep score?

Back when I first started listening to basedball games in the mid-60's, I remember Vin Scully saying a lot, "if you're not keeping score with us, the Dodgers have Wills, Davis and Parker coming up next..."

Then my grandfather and Dad taught me about "keeping score".

And I've kept score of almost every game I've attended, and many I've listened to or watched ever since.

Lateily, when I keep score at a game, it looks like I'm the only one. Last year in Anaheim, an older man sitting next to me said, "good for you. That's becoming a lost art".

Do you keep score? Ever?

I sure wish I had kept some of my scoresheets from games of the past.

American League games make for neater scorecards. Most scorecards and books don't provide enough spaces for N-L games, what with all the maneuvers and double-switches along with the pitching changes.

I'm always on the lookout for a good scorebook or even scoresheet I can find here on the net.

Thoughts?

-- Barry

PS...when I'm home, or even at the station working the technical parts of our Ventura Dodger broadcast, the modern-day website "gamecasts" sure come in handy to help me keep up my scorebook! And now if I attend a game, and miss part of it, all is not lost. I can ressurect it in the same manner.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Do you like to keep score?

I've kept score ever since I was six, I'm 19 now and I still enjoy it as much as I did back then. My dad taught me while enjoying many Padres games.

I still have scoresheets of historic games that I've been to. The last game at Qualcomm Stadium (AKA Jack Murphy Stadium, AKA San Diego Stadium) being one of them. I have the Game 3 of the 1998 World Series, the last time the Padres have ever been there.

What always got me excited about the games when I was little was the PA announcer, when announcing the starting lineups would say "OK sports fans, get your pens, pencils and scorecards ready, it's lineup time!"
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

I've scored every game I've been to since the mid 1990s, and grew smart enough to use a Scorebook in 2000. Now I have 4 full Scorebooks full of games, and am working on Scorebook V. The latest entry in that was the 2009 World Baseball Classic Finals.

My scorebooks are also where I keep ALL my autographs I get from baseball stadiums. So far my 'graph collection includes all-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, former Dodgers Tommy Davis & "Sweet" Lou Johnson, current Dodgers James Loney & Matt Kemp in their rookie season, Hall of Fame announcer Pepe Yniguez, Jeff Suppan in the year he won the World Series, among others.

One day I hope to have a written record from all baseball games I attended this century, from 2000 through ????.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

I've kept score at every game I have attended, except one. The NLCS game I went to last year. I wish I had though.

My goal is to teach my son to do it this year.

Comment

Oh hell no. That's what the scoreboards at the stadiums are for. I can't concentrate on the actual game if I'm scribbling something down every few minutes.

Comment

I learned how to do it when I was 9..I try to do it every game, but sometimes I'm just not able to. I taught my wife (g/f at the time) how to do it and she loved it. She'll take over for me when I go grab food or take a break from the action. I agree that it is a lost art. I remember before there would be lots of people doing it. Now I see very few people with scorebooks in front of them. Very sad.
            Out of the NIGHT....
            When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
            Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
            ---------------------------------------

Comment

I would...except that I don't know how to

Comment

If I'm interested, I'll save the play-by-play from the story online. I rarely keep score when I am at a game, but once or twice a year, only during day games for some reason, I'll keep score in my program.
                Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

Always. For me, somehow, it's an integral part of going to a game, and I miss those days of my youth when I would listen on the radio and keep score.

It's rather sad to think of it as a lost art, though...

Comment

Only at Little League games. I've never even thought about it at a major league game.
                    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

Comment

Originally posted by brand42 View Post
                      I would...except that I don't know how to
                      It's not that difficult. If you buy a scorebook at a sporting goods store they usually have instructions. Sometimes the game programs at the ballpark do, and nowadays there are websites...We can teach you some of the basics at least here as well if you like.
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I used to keep score for my sons' Little League team, and later for my grandson's. I admit to not doing it the conventional way. There's a system, that uses numbers. By looking at it, you can tell who touched the ball, after it was batted. I used a very simple system that just told you what the batter did. I was never efficient enough to do it the professional way.

When my son played on the same team with his cousin, my brother (who managed the team) was happy enough knowing what each player had done each inning of the game. I kept score for both sides.

K - struck out.
                        1B - single
                        2B - Double
                        3B - Triple
                        HR - Home Run
                        FC - Fielder's Choice
                        LO - Lined Out
                        FO - Flyed Out
                        PO - Popped Out
                        BB - Walked
                        1E - reached base on an error
                        SO - Sacrifice Out

My memory escapes me as to others that I used.

I would draw an arrow to the bases that the player reached in the inning. If he scored, you would then see a diamond for him.

It was a pretty simple system, and it worked fine for Little League.

I do know a lot of managers that kept their own scores and did it the professional way. They were baseball saavy enough to keep great records, and keep track of player's batting averages, and fielding averages.

I could figure out the batting averages, but I was more concerned about having fun, and helping out.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Its funny how strike out used to be "SO" at least if I remember correctly but then it switched to "K" . And of course its "K" for struck out swinging and the backwards K for struck out looking. I'm sure everyone has there own system though.
                          Out of the NIGHT....

Comment

Dodgers broadcaster Charley Steiner once talked about Phil Rizzuto's scorecards and how sometimes they would have "WW" on them. And once he inquired about what "WW" stood for he responded "Wasnt Watching".
                            Out of the NIGHT....

Comment

I am not observant enough to use the number system.

I do like the WW, though. Who doesn't get distracted at a ballgame?
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X