Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like your thoughts on my website.

Hi,
    So just finished building up my website and would like your thoughts on it. The address/url is Ryan-Philipp Valle and is pretty much designed to be an online portfolio. It was/is being made for a school project and at this stage, I'm trying to see how I can improve upon it from a visitors point of view.

Also trying to do a quick "stress test" on this new server I chose while i still have a 30 day money back guarantee. Thanks.

-Ryan

Re: Would like your thoughts on my website.

i like the layout as a whole.

especially like your HDR images.

my critiques:
    • not a fan of the basic bevel for the title graphic banner. it's very rare to see just a simple bevel nowadays because it comes off a bit amateurish.
    • i notice you're trying to go for a grunge look for the text. i'm not sure if grunge type works with the relatively clean layout... but if you do want to stick with grunge, i'd advise using an actual grunge paintbrush (you can find a lot with a quick google search) rather than the pixel-spraycan look. unless of course it's part of the font which is possible because i notice that repeated letters have the same grunge markings.
    • i like the mouseover-color effect at the homepage, but you might want to increase the saturation/contrast for the 1st, 2nd, and MAYBE the 4th images to match the vibrancy of the 3rd image.

hope it helps!

PS: notice you've done some work for some PCN's for Katipunan and csunFASA. which P/FASA's have you been associated with?
    -plagued

Comment

I agree with plagued.

Overall, nice job.
      MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
      (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

Originally posted by plagued View Post
        i like the layout as a whole.

especially like your HDR images.

my critiques:
        • not a fan of the basic bevel for the title graphic banner. it's very rare to see just a simple bevel nowadays because it comes off a bit amateurish.
        • i notice you're trying to go for a grunge look for the text. i'm not sure if grunge type works with the relatively clean layout... but if you do want to stick with grunge, i'd advise using an actual grunge paintbrush (you can find a lot with a quick google search) rather than the pixel-spraycan look. unless of course it's part of the font which is possible because i notice that repeated letters have the same grunge markings.
        • i like the mouseover-color effect at the homepage, but you might want to increase the saturation/contrast for the 1st, 2nd, and MAYBE the 4th images to match the vibrancy of the 3rd image.

hope it helps!

PS: notice you've done some work for some PCN's for Katipunan and csunFASA. which P/FASA's have you been associated with?
        Like the suggestions. I won't be taking off the bevel since I have it on my business cards and I want to maintain the consistent look, but when I do update my cards, I will surely consider the bevel.

Thinking about it, I think you're right about the grunge lettering so that's gone for good and replaced with the common courier new font (i did apply a bevel to it, but that's just for it to stick out more from the bw photo.)

And loved the point about the difference in saturation levels. They were all "recycled" photos from my work in the past so I didn't have a mindset of making them try to match with each other, but just be representative of the content they will lead to.

As far as the PCN FASA stuff, I'm not really part of any one of them. I have friends who were in CSUN's Filipino Club and they knew I did videos and hired me to do their event. From there, word branched out and got hired to do UCR and Troy High School's filipino cultural night presentations. Are you associated with any of them?

Comment

Mani Page:
          Following items are not loading correctly
          1. bgmain.jpg
          2. homepage_logo_02.png
          3. homepage_btn_03.jpg
          4. homepage_btn_05.jpg
          5. homepage_btn_07.jpg
          6. homepage_btn_09.jpg
          7. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
          8. buttons_selected_09.jpg
          9. homepage_button_sel_03.jpg
          10. homepage_button_sel_05.jpg
          11. homepage_button_sel_07.jpg
          12. homepage_button_sel09.jpg
          13. There is an image missing for the link to your blog. It is a text link when the rest are images and the mouseover is not working.
          The missing images are making your main page act very funny when mousing over the various sections. This could be as simple as misnamed images
          In your code on the main page, you are using absolute urls to refer to the image locations. This is necessary and actually can slow down load times. Use a relative path like "images/homepage_btn_03.jpg" instead of "http://ryanphillip.com/images/..."

The Story:
          portrait_4.jpg is loading rather slowly. I think this may be because you saved the jpg at really high quality. With an image that size you can get away with a much lower quality setting without sacrificing the visual quality. This improves load times drastically.
          Missing items for this page:
          1. bgmain.jpg
          2. buttons_blog_10.png
          3. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
          4. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
          The Resume:
          Missing Items:
          1. bgmain.jpg
          2. buttons_blog_10.png
          3. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
          With this page I would suggest that you add some more styles. The title of each section is bolded, but it isn't standing out enough. If I had to suggest something I would say keep the titles white, but make the body text a medium grey. Make the titles 18 - 20 px instead of 16px. The links you provide also don't stand out as being different. The italics aren't enough. A 3rd color would also help here (an actual color this time) or bolding them and padding them top and bottom could also help.

In your skills list, instead of using bullets, use an unordered list so that the skills that run longer than a single line are indented properly.
          <ul>
          <li>skill #1</li>
          <li>skill #2</li>
          </ul>

The pdf and doc downloads are a nice touch.

Services:
          Instead of doing very small side-by-side boxes, I would lay this page out just as your resume is. Vertically with titles of Videography, Phtography, etc. In each section make the bullet points unordered lists like above. It will keep the site visually consistent.

There is also a large "Services" page title under the header navigation. This does not appear on Resume or Story pages. You should either have it on all three pages, or none of them for visual consistency.

The Archives:
          Files not loading:
          1. bgmain.jpg
          2. buttons_blog_10.png
          3. archives_photo_A.jpg
          4. archives_web_A.jpg
          5. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
          6. archives_video_A.jpg
          7. archives_photo_B.jpg
          8. archives_graphics_A.jpg
          9. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
          10. archives_video_B.jpg
          11. archives_web_B.jpg
          This is causing the page to look and load really poorly.
          Videos:
          The description under the video... maybe decrease some of the title sizes so that you can avoid having a scroll bar

Photography, Graphic & Web Design:
          These pages looks really good. Same missing files as other pages though

The Calling:
          The <div> containing your form is too wide and is pushing calling_1.jpg off to the right and outside of the site's layout.

The double borders on the form are also taking up space and are also kind of 1990s/Geocities looking. If you want to have a border around those elements, I would suggest adding a:
          style='border-collapse: collapse; '
          to the <table> element the form is in. This will cause single pixel borders instead of the multiple borders with dead space between.

The <td> holding the text "Message:" could also have a valign="top" attribute added so that the lable is not midway down the field.

The Blog:
          Ok, how you are doing links (read more) here, should be how you do them across the entire site.

Blog post titles and dates should stand out more (color) from the standard text.

The main site navigation should not move to the sidebar on this page. It should stay at the top as it has for the rest of the site.

Also, the direct email link should stand out a little more and be the same color as you make other links on the site (for consistency).

Conclusion:
          Overall, I like the site. It just has some style things to clean up and make it easier to get around. The addition of color will also lessen the stark black/white contrast that makes it hard to read for many people.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
            Mani Page:
            Following items are not loading correctly
            1. bgmain.jpg
            2. homepage_logo_02.png
            3. homepage_btn_03.jpg
            4. homepage_btn_05.jpg
            5. homepage_btn_07.jpg
            6. homepage_btn_09.jpg
            7. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
            8. buttons_selected_09.jpg
            9. homepage_button_sel_03.jpg
            10. homepage_button_sel_05.jpg
            11. homepage_button_sel_07.jpg
            12. homepage_button_sel09.jpg
            13. There is an image missing for the link to your blog. It is a text link when the rest are images and the mouseover is not working.
            The missing images are making your main page act very funny when mousing over the various sections. This could be as simple as misnamed images
            In your code on the main page, you are using absolute urls to refer to the image locations. This is necessary and actually can slow down load times. Use a relative path like "images/homepage_btn_03.jpg" instead of "http://ryanphillip.com/images/..."

The Story:
            portrait_4.jpg is loading rather slowly. I think this may be because you saved the jpg at really high quality. With an image that size you can get away with a much lower quality setting without sacrificing the visual quality. This improves load times drastically.
            Missing items for this page:
            1. bgmain.jpg
            2. buttons_blog_10.png
            3. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
            4. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
            The Resume:
            Missing Items:
            1. bgmain.jpg
            2. buttons_blog_10.png
            3. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
            With this page I would suggest that you add some more styles. The title of each section is bolded, but it isn't standing out enough. If I had to suggest something I would say keep the titles white, but make the body text a medium grey. Make the titles 18 - 20 px instead of 16px. The links you provide also don't stand out as being different. The italics aren't enough. A 3rd color would also help here (an actual color this time) or bolding them and padding them top and bottom could also help.

In your skills list, instead of using bullets, use an unordered list so that the skills that run longer than a single line are indented properly.
            <ul>
            <li>skill #1</li>
            <li>skill #2</li>
            </ul>

The pdf and doc downloads are a nice touch.

Services:
            Instead of doing very small side-by-side boxes, I would lay this page out just as your resume is. Vertically with titles of Videography, Phtography, etc. In each section make the bullet points unordered lists like above. It will keep the site visually consistent.

There is also a large "Services" page title under the header navigation. This does not appear on Resume or Story pages. You should either have it on all three pages, or none of them for visual consistency.

The Archives:
            Files not loading:
            1. bgmain.jpg
            2. buttons_blog_10.png
            3. archives_photo_A.jpg
            4. archives_web_A.jpg
            5. homepage_banner_BG_01.jpg
            6. archives_video_A.jpg
            7. archives_photo_B.jpg
            8. archives_graphics_A.jpg
            9. buttons_blog_sel_10.png
            10. archives_video_B.jpg
            11. archives_web_B.jpg
            This is causing the page to look and load really poorly.
            Videos:
            The description under the video... maybe decrease some of the title sizes so that you can avoid having a scroll bar

Photography, Graphic & Web Design:
            These pages looks really good. Same missing files as other pages though

The Calling:
            The <div> containing your form is too wide and is pushing calling_1.jpg off to the right and outside of the site's layout.

The double borders on the form are also taking up space and are also kind of 1990s/Geocities looking. If you want to have a border around those elements, I would suggest adding a:
            style='border-collapse: collapse; '
            to the <table> element the form is in. This will cause single pixel borders instead of the multiple borders with dead space between.

The <td> holding the text "Message:" could also have a valign="top" attribute added so that the lable is not midway down the field.

The Blog:
            Ok, how you are doing links (read more) here, should be how you do them across the entire site.

Blog post titles and dates should stand out more (color) from the standard text.

The main site navigation should not move to the sidebar on this page. It should stay at the top as it has for the rest of the site.

Also, the direct email link should stand out a little more and be the same color as you make other links on the site (for consistency).

Conclusion:
            Overall, I like the site. It just has some style things to clean up and make it easier to get around. The addition of color will also lessen the stark black/white contrast that makes it hard to read for many people.
            Wow, thank you for taking the time for doing that. You probably caught my site at a time when I was updating it since one of my biggest concerns that it was just a tad too large for 1024x768 screen resolutions, so I fixed that and re-upped all my graphics and coding. Now all is well, but thanks for the recommendations. It is much appreciated and to go into such detail is VERY amazing of you.THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanvalle View Post
              Wow, thank you for taking the time for doing that. You probably caught my site at a time when I was updating it since one of my biggest concerns that it was just a tad too large for 1024x768 screen resolutions, so I fixed that and re-upped all my graphics and coding. Now all is well, but thanks for the recommendations. It is much appreciated and to go into such detail is VERY amazing of you.THANK YOU!
              No problem. I've been building websites for nearly a decade now and I know how helpful a really detailed ripping apart can be. Yeah, I just went through it as I typed that up. So I'll go back through it now and see... if you're using Firefox, I HIGHLY (can't stress that enough) recommend getting the plugin called "Firebug." It is absolutely essential for anyone in web design.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by ryanvalle View Post
                As far as the PCN FASA stuff, I'm not really part of any one of them. I have friends who were in CSUN's Filipino Club and they knew I did videos and hired me to do their event. From there, word branched out and got hired to do UCR and Troy High School's filipino cultural night presentations. Are you associated with any of them?
                ah, i've been associated with CalPolyPomona's Barkada for the past many years. also dancer/director for the Barkada Modern dance team.
                -plagued

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X