This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop/Internet

I know how to use the internet, but that's about it.

I just got a laptop, and I am wondering how to connect it to my home internet. I thought I would be able to just plug it into to connection and surf away, but apparently not.

Any help is appreciated.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Re: Laptop/Internet

Is it dial-up or broadband?

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Comment

We had to get a router hooked up to the main computer - no hooking in, just turn on the laptop and it picks up the signal
      sigpic
      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Ok, figured out the problem....apparently the laptop comes with a phone connector wire not a broadband one. So it's working now!

Woot.
        What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Yay...:clap:

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen
            We had to get a router hooked up to the main computer - no hooking in, just turn on the laptop and it picks up the signal
            That depends on the laptop, but wireless really is the way to go with them.

Comment

Typically with newer laptops, you will have Wireless Networking, or an Ethernet port, or both. Dialup modems are becoming a thing of the past.

If you have broadband at home, you will usually have to get a router (Wired or Wireless or both) to connect your laptop to it, because your PC will usually take up the one connector you have. Some cable/internet companies provide the router and wireless setup when the service is installed. Some don't. Check with your internet provider.
              sigpic

Comment

Way to go, Ttroubleshootingui!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
                Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Tuio!
                  Come to the dark side,
                  we have cookies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X