This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop prob

I just got this Laptop and it has a prob, when I turn it on I get an error message that says, that it needs to shut down and a timer pops up and then shuts down. It mentions that an laptop shutdown error Remote Procedure Call or something like that. This has been happening randomly. Should I just rewrite the HD or should I do something else?

The laptop is an Gateway PIII and runs a 256Mb 701MHz also a Win XP.
    Last edited by Mr.DooDah; 08-15-2006, 08:11 AM.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

Re: Laptop prob

If it's not a brand new laptop, I'd go with a reformat/OS reinstall. Sounds like something is glitched somewhere.
    sigpic

Comment

I think your right, its not a new laptop, it was my moms and she had every toolbar known to man on it and AOL eeeek. How do you reformat it again? I havent done it in a while.
      Come to the dark side,
      we have cookies.

Comment

If you have a Windows XP CDROM, you can do it from the setup.

You should be able to delete and reformat a partition when you try to install it. Should be an option that comes up when you tell it to do a fresh install.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you've become the next lucky victim of the Blaster Virus!

If your computer is infected, your computer may operate normally, may appear sluggish, or may restart every few minutes without your input.
          Check this page at Microsoft to see a screenshot of the message and see if this sounds like it:
          http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

(And FYI, if it is Blaster or a variant, a reformat/reinstall may not help. We had systems here at work that were being
          infected DURING install, so by the time it finally came up to the desktop, it was already infected.)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe User 99
            Sounds like you've become the next lucky victim of the Blaster Virus!

Check this page at Microsoft to see a screenshot of the message and see if this sounds like it:
            http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

(And FYI, if it is Blaster or a variant, a reformat/reinstall may not help. We had systems here at work that were being
            infected DURING install, so by the time it finally came up to the desktop, it was already infected.)
            Good way to fix this is to reinstall XP while it is NOT connected to any network whatsoever (do not plug in the network cable!), install your favorite antivirus program, then connect the network cable and do your updates. This is exactly what we do for PCs on campus...used to get hit just like that until we started disconnecting the network cable during the reinstalls.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod
              Good way to fix this is to reinstall XP while it is NOT connected to any network whatsoever (do not plug in the network cable!), install your favorite antivirus program, then connect the network cable and do your updates. This is exactly what we do for PCs on campus...used to get hit just like that until we started disconnecting the network cable during the reinstalls.
              Well that would work great, except that we don't do offline reinstalls, we reimage, from the network.
              A better way to fix it, is to slipstream all the XP Security updates directly into your install media. That way it is already patched when it installs.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe User 99
                Well that would work great, except that we don't do offline reinstalls, we reimage, from the network.
                A better way to fix it, is to slipstream all the XP Security updates directly into your install media. That way it is already patched when it installs.
                LOL, true...but your average user isn't going to even know how to do that!

Not only that, but with the weekly updates from M$, unless you recompile the install media weekly, you'll always be behind.

Easier my way...lol...
                sigpic

Comment

I took all your great advice and Poof! it was the Blaster worm, I had to disable the DMOC and then use the removal tool for the worm. Laptop works great now.
                  THANX for the advice!
                  Come to the dark side,
                  we have cookies.

Comment

Next time get a Mac!
                    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

Originally posted by WRDup
                      Next time get a Mac!
                      Which would be great if you didn't have to go out and spend a few grand buying all your software all over again, but in the Mac flavor instead of MS Windows. Microsoft Office Suite is $300 to $500 all by itself, depending on the version...

(And yes, there are programs like Open Office that will work with MS-centric files, but the IT Managers want everyone using the same stuff. They're picky that way.)

--<< Bruce >>--
                      There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X