Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD TV's - Tell me what I need to know!

So we're thinking of buying an LCD TV in the next few months, something in the 32"-40" range. I know absolutely NOTHING about these TV's except that I like the picture quality and hanging it on the wall will free up some floor space.

What do I need to know about LCD's? What specs should I look for? What should I avoid?

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Re: LCD TV's - Tell me what I need to know!

I have heard that LCD's are much better than Plasma.

The Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) doesn't fade out like Plasma's do after the initial two years.

I've heard nothing but good things from them by my parents' friends who had bought them. So I would just say buy it!

I'm actually looking at getting one for my room as well.

Here are 2 wikipedia pages (you may have already looked at it) that explains more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Crystal_Display

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Comment

Last edited by DoJo; 08-26-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks, but what I'm looking for are more specifics, i.e. what is considered an adequate response time, what is the benchmark for dynamic contrast ratios, what minimum resolution should I be looking at, how many nits minimum should the TV have vis a vie brightness.

That kind of stuff.

I want to be well informed so I can chose the right TV.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Here's another link that might help you out:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/
          "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller
            Here's another link that might help you out:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/
            THAT'S a great link! Thanks!

Comment

`
              Last edited by DoJo; 08-26-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

you know, i would get a plasma, i have had my plasma for about 3 years (i got them when they were pretty new) and it still gives me a GREAT quality picture, to me, the LCDs hurt my eyes.

Comment

Get ready. We must have gathered info for 3 months before we bought our first hd tv. Ended up with a Sony Grand Wega 60" lcd micro projection. It has been stellar, but it does cost $200 for the projector lamp replacement.

Just bought a Vizio 37" lcd for one bedroom and I expect we'll buy another for the other bedroom. Stunning picture. Bought at Sam's Club for $999. As lcd prices come down and the lcd set sizes get bigger, I'm convinced this is the best way to go. Plasma still has some burn in issues unless you are willing to watch all your standard width programs (the vast majority right now) in an unnatural stretched format to fill the screen. Lcd has no such problem. The bulb life is 50,000 hours (20 years average watching) and they run cooler and generally weigh less than plasma tv's. Only downside is some people think the blacks are not black enough and in fast action, some models don't keep up with the action, making for a digitized, jerky picture instead of smooth action. We watched the gorilla running in the jungle from King Kong which is supposed to be the definitive test of this problem, and the Vizio didn't skip a beat. Very smooth, with great detail.

Good luck. Once you've got it all figured out, maybe you can offer some advice on getting our JBL 5.1 surround system to work. It was working, then we had to disconnect it to put the components in new furniture. Now we can't get it hooked up right. Flat, tinny sound . . . and before it was amazing. Another of those "you know you're getting older when, . . . "

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                  raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
                    Get ready. We must have gathered info for 3 months before we bought our first hd tv. Ended up with a Sony Grand Wega 60" lcd micro projection. It has been stellar, but it does cost $200 for the projector lamp replacement.

Just bought a Vizio 37" lcd for one bedroom and I expect we'll buy another for the other bedroom. Stunning picture. Bought at Sam's Club for $999. As lcd prices come down and the lcd set sizes get bigger, I'm convinced this is the best way to go. Plasma still has some burn in issues unless you are willing to watch all your standard width programs (the vast majority right now) in an unnatural stretched format to fill the screen. Lcd has no such problem. The bulb life is 50,000 hours (20 years average watching) and they run cooler and generally weigh less than plasma tv's. Only downside is some people think the blacks are not black enough and in fast action, some models don't keep up with the action, making for a digitized, jerky picture instead of smooth action. We watched the gorilla running in the jungle from King Kong which is supposed to be the definitive test of this problem, and the Vizio didn't skip a beat. Very smooth, with great detail.

Good luck. Once you've got it all figured out, maybe you can offer some advice on getting our JBL 5.1 surround system to work. It was working, then we had to disconnect it to put the components in new furniture. Now we can't get it hooked up right. Flat, tinny sound . . . and before it was amazing. Another of those "you know you're getting older when, . . . "

Lu

That's some geat information!!!! I'm glad to hear the Vizio keeps up with fast action, and that you're pleased with the contrast. You sound like a discerning consumer when it comes to electronics, so I really appreciate this info. I think I may be taking a trip to check the Vizio out!

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
                      Plasma still has some burn in issues unless you are willing to watch all your standard width programs (the vast majority right now) in an unnatural stretched format to fill the screen. Lcd has no such problem.
                      You don't need to watch things in zoomed/cropped view to avoid burn in. The biggest thing is to just not cycle the same content or leave the same content on for excessivly long hours. You'll watch enough wide-content to not have to worry about 'wear' in the center and not the outter edges.

While LCD doesn't have burn it, it doesn't have as good a picture as Plasma. Typically the trade-off is personal preferrence for cost. Is the LCD good enough? For most people, that answer will be yes.

The bulb life is 50,000 hours (20 years average watching) and they run cooler and generally weigh less than plasma tv's.
                      Well now you are mixing in PROJECTION vs Plasma. I believe he's talking about LCD panels, not projector systems.

What I would offer to the OP is..

- buy from a shop that allows returns (Circuit City, etc will let you even swap displays for other displays after you've taken it home until you find one you are happy with)
                      - Read as many reviews as you can about your display short-list (cnet has good reviews as well as just google the PN and review)
                      - Don't forget where you are going to put your junk! If this display is going to be a TV only.. don't forget you'll want somewhere to put your speakers, DVD player, reciever, etc.

I ended up buying a Rear Projector over a panel display because

- 40" wasn't going to be too much bigger then my 32" 4:3 display
                      - 40" was the biggest display I could get hanging on my wall due to space
                      - Why buy a flat panel if you can't put it on the wall and instead have to sit it on a table/stand

After using a measured sheet to mock up the display size in my room and compared to my current CRT, I decided 40" wasn't big enough, and wanted a 50". At 50", the plasma costs were too high to justify when I couldn't hang it on the wall.. and still couldn't figure out where to put my junk.. so I ended up with a Sony XBR 50" Projection. When I was shopping my RP screens.. the LCD displays just didn't hold up in picture quality to the DLPII or LCOS displays.

Good luck with your shopping!

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                        You don't need to watch things in zoomed/cropped view to avoid burn in. The biggest thing is to just not cycle the same content or leave the same content on for excessivly long hours. You'll watch enough wide-content to not have to worry about 'wear' in the center and not the outter edges.

Well now you are mixing in PROJECTION vs Plasma. I believe he's talking about LCD panels, not projector systems.
                        Well, from what I've read, burn in is becoming less of a problem on the latest plasma models, but Consumer Reports and Crutchfield still warn of it, and Sony mentions not only burn in as a negative of plasma screens, but weight and high power useage.

FROM Sony.com

LCD - Liquid Crystal Display; flat panels range from 19-46"
                        PROS: Color reproduction; wide viewing angles; very little screen glare
                        CONS: Producing deep blacks; Some lesser models have slow refresh rates

Plasma - Only available in flat panels; sizes range from 37-70"
                        PROS: High contrast ratios; color reproduction; wide viewing angles
                        CONS: Heavier than LCD; subject to burn-in; power usage

And, when I spoke of lamp life of 50,000 hours, I was speaking of the flourescent type lamp that backlights flat panel lcd's. All I was saying was lamp replacement is a non issue with lcd panels (as it is with plasmas).

You gave great advice on buying from a retailer you can return the unit to if you should need to. That's why I wanted to buy this one from either Sams Club or Costco, because of their liberal return policies.

I would also advise anyone making such a big purchase to go look at the different types of tv's side by side. You may find personal likes and dislikes between the technologies. The 37" lcd was a great choice for the room it was going in, the picture and sound are stellar, and the price cinched the deal. Costco has a similar deal right now, a Sceptre brand 37" with 1080p max resolution for $999 after an instant rebate at the checkstand. There are legendary stories of Costco taking back merchandise years after the products were purchased, so that is some comfort to me since we are faced with all the new brands that are suddenly on the market.

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Yes, the power usage and heat of the plasma are an issue in that normally they have a TON of fans.. and while quiet, are not silent.. which depending on your room situation may be noticable.

Circuit City even encourages display swaps to make sure you are comfortable with what you end up with (so you buy from them of course). Good luck with the hunt! It was quiet an adventure for me

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                            Psst, I'm a she. And yes, I'm talking about LCD panels. I want to try and save some floor space by hanging the new TV on the wall.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. We did some research this weekend and have our selection narrowed down to a couple of models. This thread was really helpful in educating me so I could walk into the store and KNOW what I was talking about instead of just taking the salesperson's info at face value.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Comment

sorry, didn't know Maybe I should follow the sign in your avatar

Just make sure if going wall-mount you know where you are going with the rest of your stuff and cables.. that's a major reason I got turned off. But if you have a really nicely integrated place to hide the 'junk', then it does look nice.

Make sure to look at the display in the position you will view it from at home! That includes distances, angles and HEIGHTS!. Then do your best (I even took a tape measure in the store) and position yourself to view the screen from those positions. Plasma will be steller in this test, but some of the LCDs you are looking at may suffer. Its best to find out there then at home

As far as reviews, I really just relied on google and what it turned up. Another place (but requires tons of sifting) is http://www.avsforum.com/ and check out other owners there

Good luck with it!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X