X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest (and cheapest) ways to get an Operating System

Okay Tech Lounge ...

My work is selling older computers at an unbelivably awesome price. Like $150. They aren't the best computers, but they are better than what I have now. The issue is, they don't come with an OS. I'm sure it has to do with company information, etc.

So what's the best way to get an OS? I have XP on my current computer, is there a way to basically move it over? I'm not sure I have the disc though.

Thoughts?

Re: Easiest (and cheapest) ways to get an Operating System

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Okay Tech Lounge ...

My work is selling older computers at an unbelivably awesome price. Like $150. They aren't the best computers, but they are better than what I have now. The issue is, they don't come with an OS. I'm sure it has to do with company information, etc.

So what's the best way to get an OS? I have XP on my current computer, is there a way to basically move it over? I'm not sure I have the disc though.

Thoughts?
    Linux.

Seriously, there's no way to move Windows from one box to another. And a fresh install of XP will cost some money.

Hmm, not as much as I thought, but still not free.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Comment

I've never used Linux, is it any good?

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        I've never used Linux, is it any good?
        Dunno. I've never used it either. I do know that its cheap / free. Monorail Man's really your expert. I'm sure he'll be along here eventually.
        Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Comment

Linux wouldn't be a bad choice at all. If all you're doing is web browsing/email, then linux would be perfect. I still recommend Ubuntu for just starting out, it's got an easy UI and a lot of community support. You can download an ISO and burn it, or they send you free CDs.
          -Monorail Man

Comment

Thanks MM,

Would that also work for Gaming/Video Editing programs? I need to have those too.

Do all windows programs work on Linux, or are there limitations?

Comment

That depends entirely on the programs. Some software is available for different operating systems, others are not. You will not be able to just use your Windows software with Linux.

There might be some nice, free editing software for Linux.

Comment

A friend of mine has Unbuntu and she loves it. But she's also a total computer/gaming geek so she knows all about that stuff.

Comment

Not to sound dumb, but don't you know someone with a bootleg copy?

I don't think Gates will miss a meal tomorrow if you just install from someone else's disk.

Good luck!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X