Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled



    https://www.knotts.com/plan-a-visit/guests-with-disabilities


    Is Disney`s GAC next?

  • #2
    Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

    Yea Knotts for doing it right!
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

      It happened before with the transition of the ticket books to an all day pass and again now. Once again Disney is showing it can sometimes lag behind Knotts.

      I tell you Knotts continues to improve and appears to be offering so much more for a reasonable price while Disney just rests on its laurels and assumes people are going to continue to pay exorbitantly for it. Continue in this direction for too long and Disney could find itself in a hole too difficult to dig out of so easily.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

        The arguments against it are always fun... but Kudos for Knotts for taking this lead. Hopefully Disney will follow suit when it can hope it's not the lightning rod.

        I would love to have a face to face with some of these advocates and inquire about places they visit that don't offer 'immediate gratification'. Or how they even get to the park without a wait.. or how they get INTO the park without a wait.. etc

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

          Here is the low-down...

          At Knott's Berry Farm we are proud of our reputation for accommodating guests with disabilities through our Ride Admission Policy. To continue to provide equal access for all guests, be aware that all guests with mobility impairments or ASD will now receive a Ride Boarding Pass with wait times. The Ride Boarding Pass Program allows guests to access rides at specified times via the exit ramp in order to avoid crowds and waiting in the regular queue lines.
          There are two options available for guests who are in possession of a Boarding Pass:

          1. Rides with lines – Guests will obtain a boarding or “ride” time on the Boarding Pass that is equal to the anticipated wait time for a particular ride from the ride employee at the Alternate Access Entrance. Guests can then choose to rest comfortably away from the queue area or enjoy another ride that does not have a line, visit a shop, see a show or play a game until their boarding time.

          2. Rides with no lines
          – Guests may ride at any time via the Alternate Access Entrance (usually the exit) and be seated on one of the next available cycles.

          For a complete listing of guidelines when using the Alternate Access entrances, please download and review our Guest Assistance Guide.

          Here’s How it Works:







          The guest with a mobility impairment or ASD should visit the Information Center at the Front Gate upon his/her arrival at the park to express his/her inability to wait in the regular line. Some questions are asked to ensure that the rider has the required physical criteria in order to safely experience rides, and a Boarding Pass is issued for the guest in question and up to 3 riding companions.




          In addition to a Boarding Pass, the guest with a mobility impairment or ASD will receive a “Rider Access Sheet” that has the rides that the guest with a disability can safely enjoy.




          For rides that do not have lines, the Guest and his/her party simply takes the Rider Access Sheet with them through the ride’s Alternate Access Entrance and they will be boarded on the next available cycle.







          For rides that do have lines, the Boarding Pass will be required. The rider (or a member of their party) obtains a boarding time from the ride employee at the Alternate Access Entrance, equivalent to the length of the ride line. The rider is able to ride other rides that do not have lines while waiting for the boarding or “ride” time issued on the Boarding Pass.


          The guest listed on the Boarding Pass must be present as a rider when a Boarding Pass is being utilized.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

            Originally posted by moregumboplease View Post
            1. Rides with lines – Guests will obtain a boarding or “ride” time on the Boarding Pass that is equal to the anticipated wait time for a particular ride from the ride employee at the Alternate Access Entrance. Guests can then choose to rest comfortably away from the queue area or enjoy another ride that does not have a line, visit a shop, see a show or play a game until their boarding time.
            Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't this like a FastPass?
            My Adventure Blog

            flickr

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

              Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
              Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't this like a FastPass?
              Not really. With a FastPass you bypass part of the line but still have to wait in a little bit of the line. Maybe a 10-15 min wait from entry to boarding. With this, you get on right away.

              Also, unlike FastPasses, the wait before you can board is always the same as Standby, whereas with a FastPass your return time might be 3-4 hours out. Additionally, they are not metered out like a FastPass - in other words, they won't "run out".

              Lastly, it is available only for guests with disabilities and is done as a way to accommodate them while discouraging abuse by people whose only goal is to skip lines.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                Kind of, although it's meant for people who can't physically wait in line. Also it looks like you can only be in one "line" at a time ("previous ride must be crossed off") so the potential for abuse seems pretty low.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                  Originally posted by kirstenh View Post
                  Not really. With a FastPass you bypass part of the line but still have to wait in a little bit of the line. Maybe a 10-15 min wait from entry to boarding. With this, you get on right away.

                  Also, unlike FastPasses, the wait before you can board is always the same as Standby, whereas with a FastPass your return time might be 3-4 hours out. Additionally, they are not metered out like a FastPass - in other words, they won't "run out".

                  Lastly, it is available only for guests with disabilities and is done as a way to accommodate them while discouraging abuse by people whose only goal is to skip lines.
                  Sorry I should've clarified. I meant to say, isn't the idea like a FastPass but only restricted for those people with disabilities? Cause they'd be able to get a Boarding Pass with a return time, and go do something else while they "wait" for their time. It seems like they would still have an advantage over other people who are waiting in the Standby line who can only wait in one line while those with the boarding pass will be able to wait in two lines. I think they should modify it so they'd have those with disabilities wait in a waiting area and when their time is up, the person with the disability and their party will be able to ride. If they leave the waiting area, they have to forfeit their waiting pass, and get a new one if they choose to come back to ride at another time.

                  Originally posted by The International View Post
                  Kind of, although it's meant for people who can't physically wait in line. Also it looks like you can only be in one "line" at a time ("previous ride must be crossed off") so the potential for abuse seems pretty low.
                  Okay, that was my worry. It just seemed like this concept could still be abused but glad to hear there is some sort of way to combat abuse.
                  My Adventure Blog

                  flickr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                    I think Knotts would rather give people the opportunity to buy stuff while they are waiting for their time to come up, rather than sitting for an hour doing nothing.

                    And if Disney had this policy they would do the exact same thing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                      Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
                      Sorry I should've clarified. I meant to say, isn't the idea like a FastPass but only restricted for those people with disabilities? Cause they'd be able to get a Boarding Pass with a return time, and go do something else while they "wait" for their time
                      The difference is a FP is based on a schedule to distribute load... this is based on the current wait. So a FP will put you out at least 45mins.. usually a few hours. This pass would only make you wait the same as the standby line's current wait.

                      Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
                      I think they should modify it so they'd have those with disabilities wait in a waiting area and when their time is up, the person with the disability and their party will be able to ride
                      But wouldnt that also be an 'advantage'? Basically any flexibility these guests have can be seen as an 'advantage' but one has to think wholistically about it. The waiting area is the fairest of them all.. but can also be too restrictive for some (think the autistic child example). This return pass is the best alternative out there for accommodating the needs without giving away too much to invite abuse.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                        This is a far better idea than having the disabled person wait in a chair for their able-bodied party to go through the standby line.

                        In many ways I think this might be even better than Fastpass but I'm getting ahead of myself. Disney should definitely give this a try.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                          Brilliant!
                          "Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that." - Walt Disney

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                            Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                            The difference is a FP is based on a schedule to distribute load... this is based on the current wait. So a FP will put you out at least 45mins.. usually a few hours. This pass would only make you wait the same as the standby line's current wait.
                            I understand that. I was just saying the concept was similar where you receive a pass with some sort of return time (i.e. come back in XX minutes), the person can do whatever they want during that time frame (i.e. go on other rides, buy food, shop, etc.), and then come back when your return time has approached.

                            Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                            But wouldnt that also be an 'advantage'? Basically any flexibility these guests have can be seen as an 'advantage' but one has to think wholistically about it. The waiting area is the fairest of them all.. but can also be too restrictive for some (think the autistic child example). This return pass is the best alternative out there for accommodating the needs without giving away too much to invite abuse.
                            You know what, you're totally right. I was only thinking about one or two specific cases and wasn't thinking about it overall. A waiting room would only work for some, but not for others. While I think the concept of the boarding pass can still be improved, the boarding pass may be the best solution to accommodate all types of disabilities. It can still be abused, but the abuse may not be as severe as it is in other parks.
                            My Adventure Blog

                            flickr

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Knotts will have boarding pass with wait times for the disabled

                              I just recently got a Knotts SP and also had major knee surgery that makes me unable to do stairs still so I have used this pass. The only issues is that the worker down on the main level is apparently unable to give out boarding times, so IME, they have to call down a worker to give you a time. It seems like quite a waste of time for the employee. They also have all elevators locked and someone has to come down and escort you other. Otherwise, it's great since I can go sit somewhere instead of standing in the line at disneyland, which allows me to leave my walker in the car!
                              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X