Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

    Some here must remember the small devil figure behind glass that pre-Ghost Rider, used to be in the Marketplace overlooking Pan for Gold (where the Ghost Rider queue is now).

    It was a handmade looking little model - forget what it was "doing" but involved some motion - chopping or the like.

    It was another of those great quirky things that made Knotts special and individual, not corporate. It disappeared with the big reduction in Marketplace space that came with Ghost Rider, etc.

    I'd always hoped this went into storage and wasn't tossed away by Cedar Fair. If the Mission dioramas are coming back....!?
    Last edited by Screwy Squirrel; 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

    O.C. History Roundup: The Devil went down to Buena Park

    This article says rumor has it the devil went home with an employee.
    sigpic
    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

      Loved the article. When I went through Orientation back in the '90s they told us what might be a conflation of where it started and what it did after it moved - we were told it was originally built to cover steam vents from the Chicken Dinner Restaurant, no mention of the previous location or anything else.
      Boggard LIEEEEF!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

        Great article, thanks for posting!! Now I remember.... but where was the volcano exactly? Just can't place it..... you could see into the Pan For Gold from the that part of the Marketplace, only a wooden fence there. Dimly recall it was somewhere over the fence adjacent to Pan For Gold? Anyone recall?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

          It was accessible from the "Marketplace" area, outside the pay-to-enter fence. Looking at an old park map and using the probably incredibly wrong orientation as cardinal directions, it was just north of the Virginia's/Camera Shop building, just East of the building that had a variety of clothing stores and the Farmer's Market shop in it.
          Boggard LIEEEEF!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

            I remember seeing the little devil as a kid. It is too bad that they don't have him for their little museum.
            Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

            Buy Now at Amazon

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

              I hear the devil is offstage in one of the executive's office. It's still around.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                Originally posted by MrTour View Post
                I hear the devil is offstage in one of the executive's office. It's still around.
                I hadn't heard that one. I'll have to poke around for it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                  Originally posted by Screwy Squirrel View Post
                  Some here must remember the small devil figure behind glass that pre-Ghost Rider, used to be in the Marketplace overlooking Pan for Gold (where the Ghost Rider queue is now).

                  It was a handmade looking little model - forget what it was "doing" but involved some motion - chopping or the like.

                  It was another of those great quirky things that made Knotts special and individual, not corporate. It disappeared with the big reduction in Marketplace space that came with Ghost Rider, etc.

                  I'd always hoped this went into storage and wasn't tossed away by Cedar Fair. If the Mission dioramas are coming back....!?
                  I remember the little volcano devil very well. That is where my brother and I used to hang out waiting for our mother as she shopped in the nearby marketplace stores.

                  The devil would turn a crank that would activate a hammer like thing which would then strike an electrified metal screen. As the hammer would hit this screen it would create the rumbling sound effect coming from the volcano. I believe there were some electric vacuum tubes and other things suggesting that was actually the mechanism which was creating the sound effect, and it may have actually been how the effect was being created for the volcano.

                  I also recall that in the case where the little devil man was turning the crank, there were also some small wooden stand up pieces painted to look like "the flames of hell". I don't recall if there was any signage around the display; there may have been but I don't specifically remember.

                  It was the little themed details like this at Knott's that made the place such a wonderful place for a kid. Other similar details were: the sound of a beating heart under a grave in the boot-hill cemetery; the dead man inside the old hearse that would sit up a little bit; the boot sticking out of a grave on the Ghost Town on main street; the "lady's" leg that would appear outside an upstairs window beckoning potential "customers" to come up to "see her" I presume--- and of course Sad Eyed Joe in the jail who would know your name because your mom or dad had told the guy on the hidden microphone who you were.

                  Such a great place. Thanks for sharing this thread!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                    Originally posted by USS Seawolf View Post
                    I remember the little volcano devil very well. That is where my brother and I used to hang out waiting for our mother as she shopped in the nearby marketplace stores.

                    The devil would turn a crank that would activate a hammer like thing which would then strike an electrified metal screen. As the hammer would hit this screen it would create the rumbling sound effect coming from the volcano. I believe there were some electric vacuum tubes and other things suggesting that was actually the mechanism which was creating the sound effect, and it may have actually been how the effect was being created for the volcano.

                    I also recall that in the case where the little devil man was turning the crank, there were also some small wooden stand up pieces painted to look like "the flames of hell". I don't recall if there was any signage around the display; there may have been but I don't specifically remember.

                    It was the little themed details like this at Knott's that made the place such a wonderful place for a kid. Other similar details were: the sound of a beating heart under a grave in the boot-hill cemetery; the dead man inside the old hearse that would sit up a little bit; the boot sticking out of a grave on the Ghost Town on main street; the "lady's" leg that would appear outside an upstairs window beckoning potential "customers" to come up to "see her" I presume--- and of course Sad Eyed Joe in the jail who would know your name because your mom or dad had told the guy on the hidden microphone who you were.

                    Such a great place. Thanks for sharing this thread!
                    Man, you just brought back so many fun memories with that post! I was born in '74 so I had my share of KBF visits as a child, mainly to the Chicken Dinner. However I do remember it seemed like there was way more to see and roam around for free in the area where Ghost Rider is. The highlight of the night for me was going to the candy store after our dinner and picking out 3 root beer flavored candy sticks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                      I love the Knott's details as well, and many you mention, USS, are still there: the corpse inside the hearse still sits up, Boot Hill has the beating heart grave, the leg is still kicking at Goldie's Place, and there is even a spiffy Pepper's Ghost effect inside the Undertaker's Office (near the Knife Store). I miss the devil and his volcano, remember seeing it many times on trips to Knott's in the 80's/early 90's and finding it fascinating.
                      when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                        Originally posted by moregumboplease View Post
                        Man, you just brought back so many fun memories with that post! I was born in '74 so I had my share of KBF visits as a child, mainly to the Chicken Dinner. However I do remember it seemed like there was way more to see and roam around for free in the area where Ghost Rider is. The highlight of the night for me was going to the candy store after our dinner and picking out 3 root beer flavored candy sticks!
                        ....The Marketplace was GREAT back then, pre-Ghost Rider. It extended west well into what is now the park. Where the funnel cake shop is, was that wonderful old-time candy store you mention... it took up the whole building. Like stepping back in time with big jars of every candy imaginable, all colors of the rainbow, wonderful smells, glass cases with chocolates, etc. It was run by these kind elderly ladies that seemed to have worked there forever, often they'd give you a sample of this or that. It had a large covered porch with benches and faced a big fountain in the center of a courtyard - behind it was another shop, usually covered in blooming red bougainvillea. Just to the west was the bakery, full size where you could watch cakes being made, and one of those incredible boysenberry turnovers was 75 cents or a dollar. I used to drive home on Beach Blvd by Knotts every day. Often I'd stop and just walk around the Marketplace for a while, sit on that wonderful candy shop porch. Pet the dog! (who remembers the ceramic dog just outside the shop?). The best place to decompress and relax a little you could find. And don't get me started on the early days of the Christmas Crafts Fair, which was free, had a lot of real hand made quality stuff for sale, Jefferies Barn with Santa, great decorations, a carousel horse carver, white bearded old guy that always had time to talk....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                          I hope there's a way they can someday bring back more of the Marketplace. I can't help to think the area was an early forerunner to areas such as Universal's CityWalk or Downtown Disney. It may require a tunnel under/bridge over a section of Ghost Rider (or an expansion south towards the hotel), but it would be great to once again see the Steak House being used, the old Candy Parlour (with a window into the kitchen) reopened, etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Devil Figure That Used to Be in the Marketplace

                            Quite a bit of the backstage area that was required to support those shops - and a few of the shops themselves - were devoured by Ghost Rider.

                            It'd be difficult to reopen them.
                            Boggard LIEEEEF!

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X