Clear All
  • penguinsoda
    Jester of Randomness
    MiceChat Moderator
    • Jan 2005

Trip Report My Great Pacific Northwest Journey

Part One:

Warning/Disclaimer:
    We got into the airport, I found where I had to go through security, we said our quick goodbyes and I was off. I put my carry on stuff in the grey plastic tubs, walked through the metal detector, picked up my stuff on the other side and....

:blink:

That was it? I guess it helped that it was so freaking early in the morning and Palm Springs has several security check through stations. That and I had thankfully printed out my boarding pass at home the night before. I headed out the door to the terminal building where I was to catch my plane.

My chariot awaits....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.
  • penguinsoda
    Jester of Randomness
    MiceChat Moderator
    • Jan 2005

Re: My Great Pacific Northwest Journey

Part Two:

We arrived in Salt Lake pretty much on time.
    This was the first thing I saw when I walked into the terminal.

It was still early. Around 8:30 AM California time. So I grabbed breakfast.... at Burger King. :lol:

Nineteen huh...

My next chariot.
    We taxied out and waited in line for our turn to take off.

And we waited. And waited. And waited.

Maintenance? We are late getting started for refuelling and you wait until we taxi out onto the runway a half hour away from the terminal and now you are working on a maintenance issue????

Some time passes....

Excuse me, is there a bus from Salt Lake to McKinnleyville?

Well we did manage to get off the ground and on our way.

Still there were a few interesting sites.

Snow, on what I think was part of the Rockies

And... Kitty!!!! Seriously... with a bit of imagination, you can see a kitty! Ok, I can see a kitty.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• penguinsoda
      Jester of Randomness
      MiceChat Moderator
      • Jan 2005

Part Three:

Sure enough, with the lack of speed limits we arrived pretty much on time. Well that and since we crossed the Pacific/ Mountain time line we gained... er... lost... gained... uh... the time changed again and I was almost there.

The night before I had called my daughter to check on the weather. I was trying to stuff some last minute things into my carry on backpack, and thought if it was going to be warm enough I’d take out my jacket to free up some room. She assured me it was suppose to warm up and would be in the 70’s. So I left my jacket at home.

Ladies and gentlemen, we’ll be arriving at the Eureka/Arcata airport in just a few minutes. We’ll be flying in through some fog, and the current temperature is 52 degrees.

I’m GONNA FREEZE!!! It was suppose to be around 110 in Palm Springs that day. I’M GONNA FREEZE!!!

At least the fog wasn’t all the way to the ground.

Those people seem to know where they are going. Maybe I should follow them.

The airport is officially designated as Eureka/Arcata (ACV in airport speak), but its physically located in... McKinnleyville. Really. I know this because my daughter is in McKinnleyville and her apartment is 4 minutes away from the airport.

But regardless you are in:

I first called hubby to let him know the penguin had landed, then called daughter to come get me. While waiting I took some pics of purty flowers...

Ah... here comes my ride now...

The white zone is for the loading and unloading of passengers only.....

We went back to the kids apartment, visited a bit then I thought I’d just stretch out on the couch and get comfy for just a minute... with a blankie over me...

Yup, it was nap time. And yes my wonderful loving daughter got my camera and took pictures of me sleeping on her couch.

And no... you’re not going to see those.

But there will be plenty more.

Comment

• Adelade
        I <3 �o�
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
        And... Kitty!!!! Seriously... with a bit of imagination, you can see a kitty! Ok, I can see a kitty.

I see the kitty Pengy!
        Can't wait to see the rest of your report...
        Is this haunted signature
        actually
        stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
        Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
        also known as...
        Dominatrix of Randomness

Comment

• mikeland
          World Traveler
          • May 2005

Great report so far!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• pratt55
            Arizona's own
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Mar 2006

Great pictures and report so far but I want to see a sleeping pengy, please.
            sigpic

Comment

• SummerInFL
              Relax
              • Sep 2005

Aww, I love this trip report so far Pengy, I even loved the added commentary, you're telling a wonderful story and I feel like I experienced it with you. Keep up the good work and gimmie more!

Oh yeah, I totally see the kitty.

Comment

• arielchica
                coco puff/chanel
                • Apr 2008

Great trip report and pics so far! Can't wait for the rest!

Comment

• penguinsoda
                  Jester of Randomness
                  MiceChat Moderator
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                  Great pictures and report so far but I want to see a sleeping pengy, please.
                  :lmao:... uh.. no. This is a family board you know and that would just be... to scary!

Thanks for the happy thoughts everyone!! Ready for the next installment?

Part Four:

When my daughter lived in San Diego county this is the view from the front of her apartment on a foggy day.

This is the view now.

That was as close as we got to the actual ocean here, But our next stop was just a few miles north, to the Clam Beach County Park.

Comment

• Alice's Wonderland
                    Directly directed
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post

Those people seem to know where they are going. Maybe I should follow them.

The airport is officially designated as Eureka/Arcata (ACV in airport speak), but its physically located in... McKinnleyville. Really. I know this because my daughter is in McKinnleyville and her apartment is 4 minutes away from the airport.
                    It's McKinleyville, named after President McKinley. I know because I live here. Your plan flew right by my house, if you were sitting on the left hand side, you could have seen it. And it's also impossible to get lost at the Eureka/Arcata airport as it's the smallest airport I've ever been too. Delta is new as of this summer, and it only flys to Salt Lake City.

And really what is this with Micechatters coming to Arcata and no one mentioning anything?

Comment

• penguinsoda
                      Jester of Randomness
                      MiceChat Moderator
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
                      It's McKinleyville, named after President McKinley. I know because I live here. Your plan flew right by my house, if you were sitting on the left hand side, you could have seen it. And it's also impossible to get lost at the Eureka/Arcata airport as it's the smallest airport I've ever been too. Delta is new as of this summer, and it only flys to Salt Lake City.

And really what is this with Micechatters coming to Arcata and no one mentioning anything?
                      Oops! I always spell it wrong! :lol:I don't know what it is with me wanting to put 2 "n's" in it every time!

Well I was sitting on the left side of the plane, so I probably went right by your place and didn't even know it! (Had my daughter been looking out her front window, she would of seen me coming in too since I did see a couple of planes flying in while I was there.)

:blush: Um.... there were a few people who know I was heading that way... uh.. er... Next time we will have to plan a MiceChatters meet! (Since there was another MiceChatter up there at the same time too...which will show up later in the report.)My daughter will be up there for at least 3 years, so I'll be back someday!

I was going to put up part 5... but for some reason I'm currently experiencing some major coding issues. It keeps eating my BB code and moving it around when I preview... :blink:

To be continued........

Comment

• kelly
                        love my friends
                        • Sep 2005

love it so far pengy:yea:

Friends for life

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                          Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                          • Jun 2005

Thanks for your great report so far Pengy! It sounds like you had a great time and I'm looking forward to more.

Comment

• penguinsoda
                            Jester of Randomness
                            MiceChat Moderator
                            • Jan 2005

Lets see if it will work now....

Part Five:

We drove north on highway 101 to Clam Beach. Wow... its a massive beach, and I know we went on a weekday and the weather might of been a factor but... it was wonderfly deserted. There were hardly any other human beings around!

About half way to my destination.

Behind me, where we had parked.

One of the locals.... a bit on the scruffy side.

Looking to the south....

Looking to the north...

Another shot north...

Graduitious penguin in ocean picture...

Clam beach is a dog friendly beach. My daughter informed me that they have an interesting way of walking/exercising their dogs up here. She said they will drive their pickup trucks out onto the beach (allowed), take the dog out of the back of the truck and put the dog on the beach, then get back in the truck and slowly drive away and have the dog chase after them.

Funny I always thought the point of “walking” the dog was to get some exercise with the dog. Could I have been wrong all these years? Have I been doing it the hard way?

Dog friendly, but hey... there are still a few rules!

And... more flowers!

Comming up in a later installment... Old Town Eureka, Sequoia Park Zoo, Fort Humboldt State Park, Patricks Point State Park, Trinidad State Beach, and some local flavor!
                            Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• seenoevil
                              Minion
                              • Apr 2005

I'm enjoying this TR a lot! Can't wait for more!
                              I want my cake back!
                              sigpic

Comment

• pratt55
                                Arizona's own
                                MiceChat Moderator
                                • Mar 2006

I am loving this report. I have not flown into a small airport in so long that I forgot what its like to go out to the tarmac. My favorite posted picture so far is Pengy in the Ocean.
                                sigpic

Comment

• Legally Brunette
                                  MiceChatter

• Feb 2008

Awesome TR and I do love the flower pics!

Comment

• penguinsoda
                                    Jester of Randomness
                                    MiceChat Moderator
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                                    I am loving this report. I have not flown into a small airport in so long that I forgot what its like to go out to the tarmac. My favorite posted picture so far is Pengy in the Ocean.
                                    I think except for Twin Falls Idaho its the smallest one I've ever been in.

Yes, I was brave and let my daughter take a picture of me. And the water was cold but it actually felt good after a few minutes walking around in it. Glad you like it! :lol: I don't think I have any more close ups of flowers, but there might be some other vegetation later on.

Part Six:

The city of Eureka, like many North Coast places, is an old city, and has quite a bit of history stretching back to the 1800’s. Old Town Eureka is a part of the city that has been restored and revitalized through federal loans so that it can continue to be enjoyed as a vital part of the community. Restoration is still under way, and this part of the city has some of the most interesting, and beautiful buildings, many of them Victorian style architecture.

There are many of the buildings that have been opened up with museums, cafe’s, gift shops, galleries and the like.

Unfortunately, it was a Monday when we went and the museums were closed.

This building housed the Children's Discovery Museum, but alas, it was closed too.

There are several buildings that have murals painted on them. I meant to go to the Chamber of Commerce and pick up a pamphlet that gave you a self guided walking tour of all of the murals, where they were and information on the artists, but we never made it over there. But I did get some pictures of some of them.

This one was even painted on the sides of the building.

Doggys!

Kitties!

People!

The last mural was across the street from this building. A beautiful example of art deco architecture!

One of the local Micro Breweries.

And a close up of one of the windows.

One of the most famous structures in the town, is the Carson Mansion. It was built in the 1880’s by the local lumber baron of the time, William Carson. It sits on a small hill, and you can see it from blocks away as you walk down Second Street which terminates at the mansion.

Still a couple of blocks away.

And once you get close to it....

Even more beautiful and more impressive.

But alas, much like Club 33...

Bummer....

Across the street is this beauty, which I think if I remember currently houses an attorney’s office.

Comment

• Alice's Wonderland
                                      Directly directed
                                      • Feb 2005

It's so weird to look at pictures of where I live. Beautiful shots though! And did you go into the Lost Coast Brewery? A giant spider comes down over your head when you walk in the door.

Comment

• penguinsoda
                                        Jester of Randomness
                                        MiceChat Moderator
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
                                        It's so weird to look at pictures of where I live. Beautiful shots though! And did you go into the Lost Coast Brewery? A giant spider comes down over your head when you walk in the door.
                                        Really?? Nooo! We didn't go in! We were thinking we only had two hours parking, and we were running around trying to catch a lot of stuff, although I told my daughter since the spots don't have meters... how would they know. I will have to check that place out next time for sure! (And give Alice's Wonderland a heads up so we can meet!!)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X