• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RooBear
    I'm back! Sorta...
    • Jun 2005

Trip Report Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Okay, here's another quick report. I'm not sure how many know, but I had family visiting recently and I took them out and about our little hamlet.

My cousin was an excellent swimmer in his day and flew out here in 1994 to do some training for the Olympics. He did not qualify. But he came out alone and my aunt and uncle did not get a chance to see this place.

Until now.

It's not very big, that's for sure---and it's built on an old AirForce base. All the buildings are renovated from the barracks.

These are some really good kids and the regimented schedule they have them training on keeps them mostly out of trouble. Roulon Gardner (sic?), the famed Greco-Roman wrestler still lives here, from my understanding, with his teacher-wife.

I work about two blocks from this location.

One thing you'll notice...the place is empty. Can you guess why?

Yep...They are all in Beijing.

The American Team is a bit different-though the government is involved in its administration, the team works completely off of donation. We are the only team to do so. So, please, open minded groups like Hershey's, McDonald's and Home Depot give greatly to our team and this facility. Makes shopping with them a bit easier.

A huge sculpture out in front celebrates the Olympians. Yes, they are all beautiful and yes, you do kinda wanna hurt them profusely for some reason.

The winter sports tend to train at Lake Placid, but from the tour, I got the impression that several sports crosstrain at each facility. Some through camps, some through full time location training. And, like this statute, they are hilariously fit. It's almost creepy.

As many of you know, I tend to watch and enjoy boxing. I did not know this tale until I arrived. Apparently, our boxing team flew to Poland to train with their boxers--but the plane when down in the process, losing several of our 'golden gloves.' Hence this really cool memorial. I forgot to make a note of when it happened...seems like I remember the early nineties. Anyone know? I'll google it.

Okay, this was the wicked sign at the entrance--I hope you can see it. "2" days until Beijing! That was neat to see.

Two torches and various memorabilia. Our librarian, a long distance runner, was elected for the most recent winter Olympics as a torch bearer. She even got to keep the torch afterwards. For some reason, the torch did not arrive from Beijing and tour this location.

This wall was a montage of all the previous Olympians that trained here. We knew a few, but, for the life of us, we couldn't find their pictures. The other thing we noticed, they all look about the same age. The computer kiosks were prepped for immediate access for all things Beijing related.

Okay, I'll post more later!

Thanks for readin'!

Peace, as always,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend
  • Dr. Earkid
    GO DBACKS!!
    • Jan 2005

Re: Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Very interesting Roo!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

• Olympicnut
      Incognito
      • Jan 2005

OOOOOOOOOO it looks much nicer than the last time I was there.

Comment

• pratt55
        Arizona's own
        MiceChat Moderator
        • Mar 2006

I want to see more Roo, please.
        sigpic

Comment

• Radiobarry
          Angel Fan MC Man
          • Apr 2005

A gold medal for a trip report so far! I can hear the crowd...roo...roo..roo...Roo....ROO...

-- Barry
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• Olympicnut
            Incognito
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
            I want to see more Roo, please.

I'd like to see more Roo too :evil:

Comment

• RooBear
              I'm back! Sorta...
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
              I'd like to see more Roo too :evil:
              Fine....I'll gain weight.

See? That was, like, a joke, like, thing and well....on with the pics!

A bobsled on display. The men and women train here for the athletic reasons: we're higher up in altitude then Lake Placid. Then they head to New York for the ice training.

The pattern is simple here. There are no tickets, there is no hurry. You simply hang around until the next film and then afterwards, the free tour. FREE. The movie is very commercial--I mean they show shots of Beijing with Coke-a-Cola banners written in Chinese filling up the backgrounds--but is still worthwhile in that it touches on the games in a manner that is heartfelt. This year's flick dealt with young men and women who want to join the Olympic team. This included a young boxing teen who saw it as a ticket out of his urban existence. So we wondered in here...

Just some random shots of the "Hall of Fame."

One of three interactive exhibits. Sorry, I didn't feel like I wanted to jump around on my day off.

Did do this one on heart rates, however.

The main drag down the center of the Center. Metal cut-outs emphasize all the different kinds of sports competed in.

The main gym. My uncle, like I said, is a teacher too. We both really got into some quotes they had posted on a back wall in here. There were some gymnasts practicing when they entered, but they quickly put their shirts back on and left as soon as we entered.

Grumble.

The television monitors are on a two minute delay and are connected to various cameras in the gym. That way, you can practice, run over and flick a button and watch how you did at any time. You can, apparently, access them from the dorms--you can see if the gym is available.

The higher ceiling is new...so men and women can practice the newest gymnastic event: trampoline.

More to come!

Peace,
              Roo
              husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

• RooBear
                I'm back! Sorta...
                • Jun 2005

SOrry, folks, but I thought I had taken more pictures.

So I'll go ahead and slide these last two in and call it a morning.

Another shot of the quad.

To the left of this sign is the famed natatorium. Again, I thought there were pictures for some reason. And to the right? The weight room. HUGE and state-of-the art.

Some of them are tired of the place and decide to go exercise elsewhere to escape...like the YMCA down the block.

Where I exercise.

Alright, there ya go!

Peace,
                Roo

Comment

• mikeland
                  World Traveler
                  • May 2005

Cool TR! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                    Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Thanks for this TR! I just love that place.
                    Apollo Anton Ohno is one winter athlete who trains there
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• Olympicnut
                      Incognito
                      • Jan 2005

I wanna go back now.

Comment

• IndianaJenn
                        MC Director of Sales and Marketing
                        MiceChat Moderator
                        • Jan 2005

Great pictures, Roo!

I have family in Colorado Springs and when I visited them as a child I got to skate at the ice rink there.
                        One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                        Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2005

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

• RooBear
                            I'm back! Sorta...
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                            Thanks for this TR! I just love that place.
                            Apollo Anton Ohno is one winter athlete who trains there
                            A quick note...I ran into Mr. Ohno one day at the YMCA. He was exercising right beside me in the leg area of the weight room. I didn't want to be rude, but it was one of those things where I kept saying to myself, how do I know this dude? Where have I seen him before?

Then it clicked when someone walked over and simply stated, "Hey, are you Apollo Ohno?"

This happened last year, too, when I met Christy Smith. Again, I thought maybe she was a friend of a friend situation--until someone pointed out that she was the Deaf member of the television series Survivor.

Thanks for all the comments!

Peace,
                            Roo

Comment

• MickeyMaxx
                              Orbital Pluto

MiceChat Moderator
                              • Nov 2005

Nicely done, Roo! Thanks!

And, one can never have enough Roo!
                              "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                              raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                                Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                                A quick note...I ran into Mr. Ohno one day at the YMCA. He was exercising right beside me in the leg area of the weight room. I didn't want to be rude, but it was one of those things where I kept saying to myself, how do I know this dude? Where have I seen him before?

Then it clicked when someone walked over and simply stated, "Hey, are you Apollo Ohno?"
                                I had heard that he worked out there as well! Very jealous that you saw him!
                                Good morning, son
                                In twenty years from now
                                Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                And I can tell you 'bout today
                                And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                It was pain
                                Sunny days and rain
                                I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• WheresMickey
                                  Looking for Hidden Mickey
                                  • May 2008

Great report, nice to see where they train!
                                  Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X