This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Galaxyland, West Edmonton Mall, Canada Photo & Video Report

Great trip report, and what a nice little theme park inside the mall. But with the frightful weather outside, I guess most of the amusements would have to be indoors. I don't know why people would choose to live in the cold and snow like that.

Comment

Nice trip report. I visited the mall back in 2003 or so. Can't say I was too thrilled with the coaster, but I particularly loved the water park.

I also really loved the igloo-themed hotel room I stayed in. The Fantasyland hotel is quite fun.
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Wow, Mindbender looks totally sweet. Like some old-school Schwartzkopf goodness there!!!

Thanks for the video and pics.

Comment

Originally posted by vfire View Post
          Great trip report, and what a nice little theme park inside the mall. But with the frightful weather outside, I guess most of the amusements would have to be indoors. I don't know why people would choose to live in the cold and snow like that.
          I live here, but not by choice. It is hell, and yes, it has frozen over. My hubby has applied for a transfer back to civilization. Speaking of my hubby, he's ATC and he may have controlled your plane out of Edmonton airspace, so don't be afraid of your takeoff...you were in good hands ;D

The Anthony Henday (the "motorway") was brutal that weekend! Even when it looked bare you were still sliding all over the place. We've had another big snowfall since then too. I have almost 5 foot snowbanks in my front yard.

Robbalvey did a very good job of making the place look good...its not easy to do! It is seriously dated in its theming, the waterpark is smelly and dirty all the time, the ice at the Ice Palace indoor rink is slushy. There used to be 4 dolphins who performed a show 2-3 times daily, but they all died. They replaced them with sea lions. They had flamingos for a year or so where you used to board the subs, but they're gone. Seriously, if you're going to build a monstrosity like that, do it right, folks!

Robbalvey, you are very VERY kind! I'm glad you had some fun at WEM; the rest of the city has nothing to offer. BTW, what were you shooting?

Comment

Wow, that is a whole lotta stuff in a mall. Great TR!

Comment

My parents took me there in the 80s, it was cool.

Thanks for the memories!

Comment

Nice trip report. A tip if you go back; there's a good restaurant to go to for breakfast brunch in the mall: Cafe Europa. If you look at the pic of the lagoon and the Santa Maria, Cafe Europa is on the upper floor to the right of the Santa Maria. It's a good price for all the food you get.

Also, if you want to let off some steam, the mall has a shooting range where you can go shoot guns like uzis and other good stuff.

As far as the subs in the mall go, I got to ride them way back in 1987. I guess I read/heard somehwere that they are up for sale now.

The whole ride/attraction area in the mall looked better in the past. It used to be a western theme rather than a cartoony space theme. In my opinion it looked a lot better previously. I remember they used to have a little motor boat ride there like in Disneyland.

Also, if you are in Edmonton in the summer, check out Fort Edmonton park. It's just a five minute drive from the mall. They filmed the railroad scenes from the Brad Pitt movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" there. The locomotive that they used in the movie makes its home at the park.

Comment

Sucks that the submarines are gone =(
                  Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala
                  ‚Äč

Comment

nice report!!!
                    thanE

Comment

For interest, read post #19 on this thread about the Mindbender accident that happened back in 1986:
                      West Edmonton Mall

Comment

Great trip report...thanks! I was in Edmonton about 10 years ago on a business trip and ended up at WEM almost every night since there was so much to do. Ah, memories.......

Comment

Super cool pictures of a place I may never get to go to. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.
                          sigpic

Comment

Loved your trip report, My son use to work at Galazyland, he lives in edmonton, man I miss living in canada

thanks for sharing

Friends for life

Comment

I Get the pleasure of going to west ed in a few weeks becuse theres nothing else to do in edmonton and im heading up for britney spears. Why she goes to edmonton and not c spot ill never know actually i do its cus the saddledomes structure cant handle most major concerts :P
                              ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X