No announcement yet.

$300Mil Waterpark Resort In Gardan Grove...For Disneyland Guests

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] $300Mil Waterpark Resort In Gardan Grove...For Disneyland Guests

Garden Grove considers $300 million water park resort | project, grove, garden, hotel, city - News -

Just read an interesting OC Register article (link provided above). If approved by the Garden Grove City Council, a proposed $300 million waterpark/hotel resort will be the largest of it's kind "west of the Mississippi". Coucilmembers will meet next week. Looks like the vote will incurr unanimous approval, as the council selected a developer for the project in 2008 ..Mcwhinney, a Clorado-based company.

Plans call for a 3-acre indoor (or possibly outdoor) waterpark on a 10.3-acre site. Also on the property would be a 10-story hotel (company brand currently undetermined) with 600 rooms and a 15,000 sq. ft. meeting area. The water park hotel would be a major anchor for Garden Grove's InternationalWEST resort area close to the Harbor and Garden Grove Blvd intersection ..only one mile from the Disneyland Resort.

City Manger Matt Fertail related, "The water park is not meant to be a giant attraction where tourists spend a whole day, but an amenity to those who stay at the hotel...It's an incentive for people who come to Disneyland to stay at this hotel". Fertail is excited and upbeat over the possible venuture.

MiceChat's own Al Lutz weighed in with his thoughts when the OC Register interviewed him -

"If Garden Grove can get their act together, do some long-term planning, make some serious commitments and work with Disney instead of competing with them, there's a good chance this could happen," he said.
    One way Garden Grove can work with Disney and Anaheim is to link to their shuttle transportation."

Garden Grove is looking to match the serious commitment made by the Disneyland Resort when it fought off residential housing developers that would have encroached on resort area property. My own thoughts are, that I hope this happens for a couple of important reasons.

First of all, I love waterparks. Although I'd prefer to stay at a Disneyland resort hotel, it would be easy to trek down the road a mile to enjoy the waterpark. Secondly, there's been much talk (off and on) about the strong possibility of disney building a heavily themed waterpark of it's on for the Disneyland resort. As many know, competition almost always gets Disney up off it's tokus and spurs it on into new endeavors.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 08:15 AM on 07-20-2012.