Every October since 1973

Jack the Ripper awaits visitors

The London Marketplace

A Church Graveyard

A victim of Jack the Ripper

Elaborate set pieces inside the Terror of London

Will you be Jack's next victim?

Brooke Walters, Maze designer

Once the creative minds have hammered out their ideas, they meet with special effects, lighting, paint and props crews along with costuming and makeup to craft immersive environments designed to scare the life out of you.

The London Sewers

Frankenstein is the finale in the Terror of London Maze

Creating the perfect scare is no easy task. Brooke took us on a tour of the brand new Terror of London maze in the daylight so we could see all the details and discuss its development with her.

The Marketplace scene in the daylight

The Tavern scene

The cathedral in the day still impresses

Elly just has to inspect every detail.

Elly enters Warehouse P

First, I met with costuming and was given a thematically correct outfit for the maze I was to be working in that night, "Lockdown:The Asylum." The costuming area is filled with rack upon rack of clothing separated by maze.

Suiting up is hard to do

They dressed me in a tan button down shirt and a black flap jacket and vest. My role in the maze would be as a guard in a prison where the inmates have gone crazy and are rioting.

Elly likes her costume

After putting on my costume I was taken over to make-up and met with Denice Paxton, the makeup artist would would work the magic necessary to turn me into a believable and scary monster for the night.

Make-up room 1 (aka the Crypt)

Denice Paxton, Make up genius, begins work on Elly

A combination of tissue paper and latex are applied to create torn flesh

Another Monster comes by to wish Elly luck

The other monsters at the other chairs admire the work

Airbrush is used to spray shading onto Elly's face

Denice tears the latex and tissue to give it an organic look.

Using a jar of red gel, the make up becomes more grotesque

Teeth are painted to look not-so-pretty

It's now time for a wig from wardrobe

After the application of all sorts of products I took a quick glance at myself in the mirror and . . . WHOA! Instant Monster.

Elly poses with Denice Paxton

Wardrobe and makeup is quite an involved process. So much so that I find it amazing that these two departments are able to prepare 1000 monsters every single night Haunt operates.

I was then walked over to my maze for the evening, LockDown:The Asylum.

Backstage at Lockdown:The Asylum

We entered the maze backstage.

I had the basic idea of what to do. Still, as I saw the first guests making their way down the hallway to the jail cell in which I stood, I got a bit nervous.

Best scare ever!

I was allowed to work the maze as long as I'd like and was shocked that several hours had flown by in a heartbeat. At the end, I left the maze covered in sweat but feeling energized. It was one of the most enjoyable nights of my life.

Then it was time to return to Warehouse P, home of costuming and makeup, to return my wig , costume and to have my latex makeup removed. I stood side by side with my fellow monsters at a very large sink removing the rest of my makeup, exhausted but fully satisfied that I had scared the daylights out of many guests.

There. All clean.

For tickets and additional information about Knott's Halloween Haunt, visit: Knott's Berry Farm

More information HERE about this and other haunted attractions for October 2009

Story By Elaina Thomas
    photos: Fishbulb
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: Edited
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Originally posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

Re: Monster For A Day At Knott's Scary Farm Halloween Haunt

You were awesome on Sunday! I was the gaurd that came over and gave you a high five!

Comment

I wish I could've gotten a picture with you! :O(

Comment

OMG! You look like you had an awesome time! It sounded like a ot of fun to be able to scare people like crazy! Plus I am a bit jealous since you got to try out your thing in one of the best mazes in the park! Great article an great pictures!
        Add me... I dont bite LOL!
        http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
        http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

Great Update!

Comment

That "Best scare ever!" photo is fantastic. Looks like a great time.

Comment

Absolutely awesome, Elly
              See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

Awesome!! What a great experience; looks like you truly had a blast! Very well done article.

Comment

Elly, you look awesome! Welcome to the other side of the veil--isn't it addicting?!?

Comment

Elly, you looked positively ghoulish!

We've got to give a big thanks to Knott's for their hospitality in helping us piece together what makes their Haunt's blood flow. The designers are so creative, the monsters professionals, and the support staff amazing.
                    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Wow! What a awsome experience! Great report!
                      Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Comment

AMAZING!!!! This is one of my dreams and you got to live it!!! So awesome. You look absolutely ghoulish (that's a good thing).

Comment

I worked at Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America for the last five years, and I gotta tell ya it was the best time of my life (toward the end of the run VERY exhausting, but still great!). Disappointed I don't get to experience it again this year, but I am glad you got to experience it! Maybe you'll make it a yearly tradition.

And if you think you can't because you have a job, my dad also worked the event with me and he has a nine to five in Chicago.
                          www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Comment

Glad to hear you had fun. Wish I had been there that day to see you in action!
                            "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
                            1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Comment

This article could not have been done by anyone better than you Elly. I am so glad that you got to be a monster for a night and that Fishy was there to document you in all your gore.

Kudos again to all the Haunt staff that work so hard to make Haunt such a wonderful scary event.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X