• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyPro
    Addicted to MC since '08
    • Apr 2008

News Cedar Point's Demon Drop to come to Knott's in 2010

Yes, Demon Drop from Cedar Point will be dismantled and will be rebuilt at Knott's Berry Farm. It is currently slated to begin construction on January 4th, 2010. It will be built in the current location of the Screamin' Swing.

CLICK ME!

Yes, this will be the second freefall-type ride in the park, but I really liked "Freefall" at Magic Mountain. Also, Demon Drop is taller than Freefall at Six Flags at 135 ft. vs 100 ft.

Unfortunately, this steel monster is most likely going to weaken ghost town's "feel" even more now that another mechanical monster rises above the rooftops.

What do you think about this new ride to be built at Knott's?
    Last edited by DisneyPro; 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM.
  • aimster
    Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Re: Cedar Point's Demon Drop to come to Knott's in 2010

I was always terrified to go on Demon Drop as a kid. I kept trying to work up the courage and never could. Now I think I could do it and it's moving across the country.

Comment

• CoasterMatt
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2005

It's scheduled to begin INSTALLATION in January, not open.

Just what Knott's needs, another maintenance nightmare from Intamin AG.
      See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

• sir clinksalot
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

They realize that the same ride was at Magic Mountain for 25 years and was quite unpopular the past 10 years right?

Comment

• tamasurvivor
          aka the scorpion eater!
          • Nov 2006

WHY!!!!

Seriously I am great with them finally getting rid of that dreaded Screamin Swing but then again I am hoping they could have gotten something better than sloppy seconds! This was the perfect opportunity to bring back the Haunted Shack and bring back some of classic Knotts and they ruined it yet again! Oh well... At least demon drop sounds better than paying $5 to ride the screamin swing
          Add me... I dont bite LOL!
          http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
          http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

• JesterMn
            Functional & Decorative
            • Jul 2005

I'm actually somewhat excited... I actually like Intamin Freefalls much better than the S & S ones. And they are quite rare nowadays... isn't this one of the last remaining ones in the country?

Although I do agree it's a bit bizarre that they're putting one in not long after SFMM took theirs out, and that it's not going to help the look of Ghost Town. But it's a low capacity ride at a lower capacity park, so it may be a good fit in that sense.
            Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

• vfire
              The line's too long...
              • Nov 2007

This is totally pointless, Knott's already has a drop ride and it's a good one at that. All the other SoCal theme parks are bringing great new attractions online in 2010, and all CP could muster for Knott's is an out-of-date drop ride? That's just pathetic. Bring back the Haunted Shack, it can't be that expensive and it would be unique to the area and fit the Ghost Town theme.

Comment

• Dutchman
                • Feb 2005

" Bring back the Haunted Shack, it can't be that expensive and it would be unique to the area and fit the Ghost Town theme."

I believe that they would if they can find a satisfactory solution to the ADA accessabilty issues, which was one (but not the only) oof the reasons for it's removal

Comment

• Fishbulb
                  MiceChat Contributer
                  • Feb 2005

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST IDEA EVER! WOW!

I am amazed that they feel this is a good decision to the point of actually executing it.
                  "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. �
                  Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

• Disneymike
                    Planet of Puddingheads
                    • Jan 2005

Is there an email point or address where one can write to say how
                    DUMB an idea this is? I know it probably would not make a difference to write but putting an ancient drop ride in the middle of Ghost Town makes no sense and is assinine........:rant:

Comment

• techskip
                      I Break Things
                      • Jun 2007

Wow... yet another sad reminder of a park that has lost its own identity.
                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

• tamasurvivor
                        aka the scorpion eater!
                        • Nov 2006

Well it looks like next year at Haunt I will be making a run to try the demon drop when I finish all the mazes because I tried Supreme Scream once and its a little too extreme for me so being this is half the size and a strict freefall drop this should be fun [yes, Supreme Scream being too extreme for Paul... thats a shock]! Its kinda sad they wont be getting anything like the Haunted Shack ever again but oh well! I guess this is their answer to the recession and the "big annoucement" they made for 2010 that I was reading on screamscape!

I was hoping that big announcement would be a new coaster but then again, where would they put it without tearing down Ghost Town or something sacred in that park! All I know is that the day they get rid of the Log Ride and the Mine Train is the day that I will start an online boycott against Knotts!

Speaking of which I am really hoping that for next years Haunt we get new Log Ride and mine train themes!
                        Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                        http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                        http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

• ducksman
                          MiceChatter
                          • Oct 2006

OK, how is this such a bad idea? It's another ride in the park. It's replacing something that doesn't work anymore. How is an additional ride a bad thing? It might not be a multi-million dollar coaster, but as a flat ride, I think it's a great addtition, and I'd ride it if the wait weren't ungodly. It's just something else to do at Knott's. I'm sure they'll put in a brand new ride in a couple of years.

Comment

• Disneymike
                            Planet of Puddingheads
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ducksman View Post
                            OK, how is this such a bad idea? It's another ride in the park. It's replacing something that doesn't work anymore. How is an additional ride a bad thing? It might not be a multi-million dollar coaster, but as a flat ride, I think it's a great addtition, and I'd ride it if the wait weren't ungodly. It's just something else to do at Knott's. I'm sure they'll put in a brand new ride in a couple of years.
                            Um, ancient ride, no theming, to be constructed in Ghost Town, shall I go on???

Comment

• Fishbulb
                              MiceChat Contributer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ducksman View Post
                              Who said we wanted another hyper crazy roller coaster or another painted steel structure towering over that side of the park? How about bringing back some of the history of the park or the charm of that section by building a nice spacious area in which to relax and take in the scenery? Or at least a ride that would look appropriate to the area.

I am not anti ride either. In fact I say they did an amazing job integrating Ghostrider into it's surroundings. The Knott's brand is choc full of local flavor and history that Disneyland can't touch. Why not capitalize on it for God's sake? Cedar Fair just does not seem to get this.

I suppose the ride could work in that area if they made it look like a rig for a mine shaft. Aging the steel structure to blend with the cityscape of Ghost town and adding some nice walkways and maybe a water feature. But again, this is Cedar Fair. They will, most likely, clamp the thing down to a cement foundation, throw some flood lights on it and put up a queue. I could live with a recycled ride, but I just know they will treat the park with the same disregard for brand that they always have.
                              "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. �
                              Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

• glowman
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Mar 2007

You know Cedar Fair has a gem of an attraction that can get them a ton of publicity if they would do it right. Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Calico Mine Ride. It wouldn't cost that much to totally overhaul the ride so that every- thing works and looks great. Put in an awesome explosion at the end of the ride that makes riders scream, laugh, etc. I think Garner Holt Productions might have already designed one a few years ago. Also bring back the "heat" and look of the Pot Room. Really fix it up and advertise it like mad. I would even suggest putting in a recorded spiel in the trains thus avoiding some of the terrible live spiels I have heard at times. Even Walt put a taped spiel on his Mine Train Ride, and let's face it, the Calico Mine Ride is not Disney's Jungle Boat ride. In regards to the former Haunted Shack location, I thought when they took it out they were planning a great fun house type of attraction. How perfect that spot would be for a first class Haunted walk or ride-thru that could also be the location for a Halloween Haunt overlay each October. Ghost Town is going to stay, I think, because of its
                                atmosphere for the Haunt. Why not take advantage of it?

Comment

• FrumiousBoojum
                                  Huh?
                                  • Jan 2005

Haven't been to Cedar Point in a while, but the last time I went (which was in 2000! Wow... pathetic...), it was a walk-on ride with no wait -- and this was in the middle of the busy summer. Anybody know if attendance on the ride has ever got any better? The ride opened when I was in elementary, I believe, so by 2000, the novelty had worn off quite a lot. I guess it makes sense for Cedar Point to lose it, but not quite so much sense for Knott's Berry Farm to gain it.
                                  -Tim

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Feb 2005

I really think Cedar Fair thinks that people are stupid and are going to think this is an all new ride that they didn't have an hour up the 5 for the past 25 years.

There may be some initial enthusiasm, but not much.

Comment

• CoasterMatt
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Feb 2005

It's job security for the maintenance department.

The only 'good' thing about this, is Demon Drop is a MUCH more intense drop than the sissy Supreme(ly dull) Scream.
                                      See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Feb 2005

For those who have ridden Demon Drop at Cedar Fair and Freefall at SFMM ... is it any more comfortable/less rough than that? I rode the 1st Gen Intamin drop tower at Six Flags Over Texas a few years ago and it was just as bad as Freefall.

Something tells me between transporting the ride from Ohio to Buena Park and the yearly maintenance on the ride, it's going to probably be just as much as them getting a new/used wild mouse or something instead.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X