X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Restraint Pops open on Boomerang Coaster at La Ronde

Kinda scary.

Scary ride ends well on La Ronde's Boomerang

MONTREAL - Halfway through the roller coaster ride, Alex Paradis's safety harness came off.

The 12-year-old was left dangling, completely and utterly helpless, 35 metres above ground, halfway through his trip on the Boomerang, one of La Ronde's oldest thrill rides.

"I was scared," Alex said in a telephone interview this week. "I didn't know what was going to happen. I tried to lower (the harness). And then I closed my eyes."

Alex and his friend Marc Boudrias, also 12, boarded the coaster just after 4 p.m. during a trip to the amusement park on July 6. Despite the malfunction, they made it back to solid ground with no injuries -just a terrifying memory.

"I panicked a bit," Marielle Lagace, Alex's mother, said of her reaction to the news. "It was dangerous. I was scared for my boy."

The Boomerang, which opened in 1984, is one of La Ronde's most popular roller coasters. It pulls riders up about 35 metres before dropping them through a series of loops at a speed of 75 kilometres per hour. After that, riders are pulled up again, this time backward, only to repeat the same loops again.

It was at the beginning of this second backward drop that the harnesses came undone.

The same thing happened to two other riders in the same car. They left the site before they could be identified.

Luckily, the impressive speed of the ride ended up saving the boys. Thanks to centrifugal force, the youngsters were pushed into their seats for the remainder of the ride.
    More at the link ...

Since this also happened to others in the same car, my guess is a malfunction in the emergency release foot pedal. The emergency release foot pedal will release the restraints in an emergency to the entire car.

Still, something that shouldn't happen and I'm glad the boys are ok.

Re: Restraint Pops open on Boomerang Coaster at La Ronde

This is exactly why I refuse to ride Maliboomer or Supreme Scream.

Comment

^ TOTALLY different type of ride.

This is a Boomerang (like the one at Knott's)

Comment

unfortunately there was a mechanical failure on the same exact type of ride here at our local beach resort just last week.

OC Ride Still Closed After Accident - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          ^ TOTALLY different type of ride.

This is a Boomerang (like the one at Knott's)
          I don't know if you were being sarcastic or what but it is the exact same ride.

The mechanisms that allow the shoulder restraint to latch in place are just a tooth and socket design. That's why you hear the clicking sound when you pull down the restraint. I bet lack of maintenance was a factor here. The teeth that hold you in are surprisingly small and they can break. But if the whole car got unlatched the cable might be to blame. Some coasters Like Screamin' use a type of cable inside a cable (like a bicycle hand break) to connect all four seats. Others use other mechanical devises to connect all four seats. I'm just glad no one was hurt.
          Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

Comment

^ What are you talking about? Supreme Scream and Maliboomer are tower rides manufactured by S&S.

Boomerang is a ROLLER COASTER manufactured by Vekoma. TOTALLY different companies, TOTALLY different rides, TOTALLY different restraint systems (other than the fact both are Over the Shoulder restraints.

On Supreme Scream and Maliboomer you don't hear that "Click" when you lower the restraints (just like On Screamin').

For the entire car to have their restraints open it's not just one restraint failing, it's the entire car. Which means it probably has something to do with the emergency release.

Comment

BigThunder1, sir clinksalot was explaining to DisneyIPresume that the malfunction happened on a Vekoma Boomerang roller coaster, a common model that appears at many amusement parks worldwide, and not on any ride remotely similar to the MaliBOOMer or Supreme Scream.

We have one (Zoomerang) at Lake Compounce. The ride is very short, so it could have been much worse. He also probably had a seat belt on as well. Good thing he wasn't on a hypercoaster or something- when you only have the lap restraint, and it's a much longer ride.
              -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Wow. If I were going to have my restraints pop open and risk death on a coaster...I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be a boomerang. At least let me go on a good coaster...

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
                  Wow. If I were going to have my restraints pop open and risk death on a coaster...I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be a boomerang. At least let me go on a good coaster...
                  :lmao:

:bow:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X