Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

    The 10 Best Tourist Spots In Los Angeles Locals Should Also Enjoy

    http://laist.com/2013/06/12/best_tourist_spots.php


    Whether you're a local, a visitor, or a local showing visitors around, here are ten spots you don't want to miss.

    Feel free to add others, if you think they missed something!

  • #2
    Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

    It's a good list!

    Let me think about other good places to play. City Hall comes to mind. Great views of the city from the observation deck at the top.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

      The Huntington Library springs to mind. A bunch of places, really, depending on what you'd like. Aside from the full parks such as Knott's and Uni there are smaller parks like Adventure City just down Beach from Knott's. Exposition Park has the beautiful rose garden and suite of museums. Little Tokyo has excellent dining as well as the adjacent art museum.

      And that's before you even start looking into sports...
      Boggard LIEEEEF!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

        Pasadena, for shopping and a nice lunch.

        Beverly Hills, for window shopping in the expensive stores.

        Rent bikes or roller blades at Venice or Santa Monica.

        See the Space Shuttle at Exposition Park.

        Sushi and a cocktail at Yamashiro in Hollywood.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

          There's a tiny museum at the Hollywood Bowl, about its history. Free, and kind of cool. Across the street is an old movie barn with some exhibits and artifacts from old Hollywood. Little, but fun. Not real expensive.

          Chinatown, just a quick walk from Union Station. Or one stop on the Red Line.

          Little Tokyo, just south one stop on the Red Line from Union Station. Good restaurants.

          Is it Wilshire that has all the museums? LACMA, MOCA, and the like? Haven't been down that way in a long time.

          I second the recommendation for Huntington Gardens and Library. Gorgeous.
          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

            Wilshire's got a few of them, not all - Exposition Park has the California Science Center (now with 100% more Space Shuttles), Natural History museum, African American museum. Wilshire's "Museum Row" has LACMA and the La Brea Taaaaaaar Pits (Taaaar pits!) (sorry for the only vaguely related song cue), the Petersen Automotive and a couple smaller places.

            As to MOCA, that's a little more sprawly - Little Tokyo has the Geffen Contemporary hall, the MOCA Grand is at the top and a little over from Angel's Flight off of Grand and the MOCA Pacific Design center is off of Melrose close by where it and Santa Monica Blvd split.

            History-wise there's a ton out there. Just recently found the Campo de Cahuenga site which sits at the egress from the Universal City Red Line station. It's a very short visit, but it's fairly historically important (hostilities within California that were part of the Mexican-American war ended there).
            Boggard LIEEEEF!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

              Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
              Wilshire's got a few of them, not all - Exposition Park has the California Science Center (now with 100% more Space Shuttles), Natural History museum, African American museum. Wilshire's "Museum Row" has LACMA and the La Brea Taaaaaaar Pits (Taaaar pits!) (sorry for the only vaguely related song cue), the Petersen Automotive and a couple smaller places.

              As to MOCA, that's a little more sprawly - Little Tokyo has the Geffen Contemporary hall, the MOCA Grand is at the top and a little over from Angel's Flight off of Grand and the MOCA Pacific Design center is off of Melrose close by where it and Santa Monica Blvd split.

              History-wise there's a ton out there. Just recently found the Campo de Cahuenga site which sits at the egress from the Universal City Red Line station. It's a very short visit, but it's fairly historically important (hostilities within California that were part of the Mexican-American war ended there).
              Great post! I stopped by the Tar Pits (but didn't do any of the museums) yesterday. I don't remember the George Page Museum, is it interesting? I didn't have time yesterday.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                Great post! I stopped by the Tar Pits (but didn't do any of the museums) yesterday. I don't remember the George Page Museum, is it interesting? I didn't have time yesterday.
                I'll be honest, I'm in the same boat mostly - I haven't been to the museum in probably over twenty years, but have wandered the grounds repeatedly.

                I've been told it's really nice, and have very fond memories of the (now twenty year old) fresh remodel with the strong push for interactivity they put in. Hopefully it's still in the same league?
                Boggard LIEEEEF!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                  We're like prehistoric Mammoths in a sea of black tar.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                    Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                    We're like prehistoric Mammoths in a sea of black tar.
                    Ha, Ha, har har. ) Well, I've been to it in the past, it's cool, has this wrap-around-mural inside of the animals that have been around Los Angeles; the museum itself is located on the Miracle Mile, next to the LACMA Campus. On LACMA, the admission is expensive but you get free access to all the museums on the campus (except for the Special/Traveling exhibits, Cafes/Restaurants/Bars, the Bing Theater and the archives.) The Special Exhibits are cool, like the Stanly Kurbrick Retrospective (I haven't seen it, but it sounds good.) But on Tuesday Afternoons at 1pm at the Bing Theater, they show an old movie, courtoisy of Turner Classic Films.

                    My family (not including me), went to the Pasadina Heritage Square Museum, said it was really fun and got a cd for me of Music composed from the late 1920's-early 1930's before Swing was fully introduced, performed by Dean Mora and his Modern Rhythmists, (some of this guy's music is played in background on BVS in DCA.) See here: Big Band Los Angeles: Swing Dance Band: Art Deco Band

                    I someday hope to eat at Clifton's Cafeterias, (when it's remodel is finished. Clifton's Cafeteria > a Los Angeles landmark - since 1931) and Sambo's Restaurant Also visit the Little Tokyo, The Museum Of Jurassic Technology, and The Bob Baker Marionettes

                    But for only the Price of Parking, not including Food and Merchedise, there's free admission to the Getty Center (not the villa, there it's cost for addmission. www.getty.edu/)

                    Boy, this sure is the off-beaten path.


                    Timekeeper
                    sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                      My kid just went to the California Science Center yesterday to see the Space Shuttle with his Summer Camp group. That is the second time he's seen it. I've seen it zero times. LOL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                        I'm pretty sure the Getty Villa is free, too.

                        How much does it cost to see the SHUTTLE? Maybe Clara's son will take me next time!?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                          Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                          I'm pretty sure the Getty Villa is free, too.

                          How much does it cost to see the SHUTTLE? Maybe Clara's son will take me next time!?
                          I don't know how much it costs because he went with his Summer Camp group so it was part of the fee I pay for the Camp. But he also got to see the IMAX movie about Astronauts.

                          I will neither confirm nor deny that he is going to be forgoing his future career as a Champion Hockey player to become an Astronaut. So apparently, Delusions of Grandeur may come with the price?

                          LOL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                            He's what, five?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: LOS ANGELES: Where to visit beyond the berm of Disneyland

                              The Getty Villa is free, but you need to make a reservation because parking is limited.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X