This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video History of the Amusement Park

I was cruising around YouTube a few days ago and I found this video on the history of the Amusement Park. I saw the first few minutes of it but I really didn't have the time to watch it all as it was 68 minutes long. So I favorite it so I could watch it later. I just got done watching it and it really was a great documentary. I even learned a few things like how CV Wood left Disneyland and tried to create a Magic Mountain park outside of Denver only to see it fail before it even opened and how he went on to help save Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. I also learned how we almost lost Hersheypark due to the aggressive strategies of Hershey's main rival Mars.

Current coaster count: 179
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

Re: History of the Amusement Park

Thanks for sharing - very interesting video, and a good companion piece to a show from the 90's that reran on our PBS station the other night about old amusement parks. Having lived my whole life in Ohio, I learned quite a few things I didn't know about the history of some of the parks in our state!

Comment

I think I've seen that one as well. Was it called "Great Old Amusement Parks" by Rick Sebak? I believe it had Idlewild Park, Kenobels, Kennywood Park, Cedar Point, and Lake Compounce in it.

Comment

Yep, I think that was it! I loved how they found the most Jaywalking-worthy Cedar Point visitors to interview and showed all the intelligent-sounding, dignified people from everywhere else - yay Ohio.

Comment

I thought that was interesting as well. Rick has done some pretty good documentaries over the years. I also own a DVD he did back in the late 80's called Kennywood Memories and it's pretty good. It shows the Racer with it's Art Deco facade and it tells a pretty interesting history of Kennywood. I wish he did more of those type of documentaries but I'm shure he's retired by now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X