This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Damage at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park

I know many of us have been worried about the Wild Animal Park. The Zoo's website has the following information:

As of 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, October 24, the Wild Animal Park has started assessment and clean up efforts from the fire and wind damage. Of the over 3,500 animals that reside at the Park, two animals (a clapper rail and a kiang) were lost due to complications from the fire. More than 600 acres surrounding the Wild Animal Park were burned. These were open buffer zone areas and not exhibit space.

The California condors and other endangered bird species, as well as other mammals, have been returned to their homes while others are in the process of being moved.

The rest of the animals remain safe, secure, and have weathered the firestorm well. The Wild Animal Park did lose one of the empty condor breeding facilities to the fire as well as a storage facility containing Festival of Lights event materials. Winds have damaged trees throughout the Park, but again the animals and exhibits have weathered the storm. A core group of employees is on hand to care for the wildlife. Other employees and some contractors are currently assisting with clean up and restoration efforts.
    More information is available at the Zoological Society's website: www.sandiegozoo.org

They are updating regularly.

To put things in perspective, the park sits on approximately 1800 acres, and only 900 are developed for the Park use. The remaining 900 are a wildlife sanctuary and 2/3 of that burned.

Considering the nearby damage, it is a testament to the excellent preparation and dedication of the Zoological Society employees that the Park itself suffered so little damage.
    My Livejournal

Re: Fire Damage at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park

Thank you for posting this.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Oh wow, I'm sad for the losses ... yet so glad that indeed they were prepared and took the animals to safety. Thanks for the update RangerSyl!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, i do so love the wild animal park and i'm saddened that more couldn't have been to protect this gem of so'cal but yay for the zoo's ability to protect the animals
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, the Park is a GEM

It was well and vigorously defended, with employees fighting spotfires on site as well as others caring for the animals. What heroes!

They are planning to re-open Thursday Oct. 25th.
            My Livejournal

Comment

The WAP has called several of the Journey into Africa tour guides and asked them to report to work Thursday. That is definately a good sign that they are planning to reopen as scheduled.
              "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" - Me, with a B.S. in Astrophysics.

Professionally building with LEGO bricks since 2007. Visit Legoland California to see some of my work!

Tomorrowland Attractions CM: 6/24/05-8/24/06
              Survived Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, and the Mark V Monorail.

:love: DCL_Becky's Prince Charming :love:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X