This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Flags Magic Mountain - ACE Day

A picture might be worth a thousand words, but it's hard to be snarky with a photo. Enjoy!

Six Flags Magic Mountain
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain - ACE Day

Thanks for the report! It's nice to read, rather than write, SFMM reports for once.

I don't feel that X2 is as "brutal" as you're describing it. And from my experience, the inside seat tends to be less intense. Outside is where all the action is!

I've gone on Tatsu 19 times since last December but never once at night - either I've gone on weekdays where it closes at 6:30 or else I leave early on weekends. One day I will, mark my words. I need to ride Terminator at night as well, based on your report.

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

My pleasure, impressed ya got through it.

I'm not sure what you look for in a coaster, but X2 is one of the most unforgiving rides I've ever ridden. I'm happy to overlook it (for the most park) because of the overwhelming experience it offers, but there are very, very few coasters that even come closing to knocking you around as much. I'm GLAD to save some brain cells and catch the inside seats.

As great as Tatsu is, the views at night are unmatched. I'm hard pressed to think of a coaster I've ridden that has better visuals - and it's only enhanced after dark.

Catching Terminator at night, or on a cool day is a must, it absolutely FLIES.

Comment

Great trip report.

I agree, Terminator at night is AMAZING.

Comment

Thanks!

I found a spot for it in my rankings, it came in at #7 on my top ten wooden coaster list - just behind Rampage at Alabama Adventure, and just ahead of Boulder Dash at Lake Compounce. Now that's some good company!

Comment

^ I haven't ridden as many woodies as you, but I rank Terminator 3rd on my list:

1) Phoenix (Knoebels)
            2) Lightning Racer (Hershey)
            3) Terminator Salvation (SFMM)
            4) GASM (SFOG)
            5) Rattler (SFFT)

Comment

Nice, that's a great list! I've yet to make it to Knoebels, and haven't been to Hersheypark since Great Bear was the new coaster. GASM is a sentimental favorite of mine, but a ways down on my list, actually. Oh, and when did you ride Rattler? That thing has had so much work done over the years.

Here's my list:
              1) Thunderhead (Dollywood)
              2) El Toro (SFGAdv)
              3) Comet (Great Escape)
              4) Cyclone (Coney Island)
              5) Wildcat (Hersheypark)

Comment

What is ACE?
                Good morning, son
                In twenty years from now
                Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                And I can tell you 'bout today
                And how I picked you up and everything changed
                It was pain
                Sunny days and rain
                I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Oh, whoops, guess I left that part out! ACE stands for American Coaster Enthusiasts, which is the oldest and largest (as far as I know) roller coaster enthusiast organization around. They organize events at parks, promote history and preservation, and publish periodicals covering the industry.

You can find more information at Home page.

Comment

Originally posted by sarki7 View Post
                    Oh, and when did you ride Rattler? That thing has had so much work done over the years.
                    I want to say 2004. We went to TX with Robb and Elissa (and our kids). It was my first "out of CA" coaster trip, and had a blast.

I have a severe lack of "Woodies" that I've ridden, I think at last count it's like 20 or something. And most of them suck.

Comment

I haven't made it to Fiesta Texas, I just wonder what it rides like now, compared to when it originally opened. I feel like so many wooden coasters change so dramatically depending on maintenance (or lack thereof) and reprofiling. <ahem...Ghostrider>

I'm approaching 50 (as compared to almost 200 steel), and that's taken many years, and many coaster trips. They're just so hard to come by these days, which is why I'm so grateful when we get one like Terminator. GCI really has taken the reigns and done amazing work. Heck, anyone that can put a decent wooden coaster gets my kudos - Gravity Group, Intamin - I'm just glad they still get attention.

And I can sympathize, there are some awful, awful rides at the bottom of my list, including the late Psyclone and Hercules, and of course Great America's Grizzly. Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by sarki7 View Post
                        I haven't made it to Fiesta Texas, I just wonder what it rides like now, compared to when it originally opened. I feel like so many wooden coasters change so dramatically depending on maintenance (or lack thereof) and reprofiling. <ahem...Ghostrider>

I'm approaching 50 (as compared to almost 200 steel), and that's taken many years, and many coaster trips. They're just so hard to come by these days, which is why I'm so grateful when we get one like Terminator. GCI really has taken the reigns and done amazing work. Heck, anyone that can put a decent wooden coaster gets my kudos - Gravity Group, Intamin - I'm just glad they still get attention.

And I can sympathize, there are some awful, awful rides at the bottom of my list, including the late Psyclone and Hercules, and of course Great America's Grizzly. Awful.
                        Yeah, Ghostrider would be #1 on my list still, if it ran like it did the first 2 years it was open. Now it's near the bottom along with Psyclone.

I didn't get to ride Hercules, I got to Dorney the year Hydra opened. I did enjoy Thunderhawk though, until the ending when they trimmed it to hell. Still haven't ridden Grizzly either, PGA was PACKED when we were there a few years back and we didn't get to ride. Hoping to get up there later this summer though.

Comment

Thanks for the awesome trip report. Sounds a lot like West Coast Bash Robb put on for TPR in March (April?).

Yeah, Terminator kicks some serious butt at night.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                          HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                          ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                          FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                            Yeah, Ghostrider would be #1 on my list still, if it ran like it did the first 2 years it was open. Now it's near the bottom along with Psyclone.

I didn't get to ride Hercules, I got to Dorney the year Hydra opened.

Still haven't ridden Grizzly either, PGA was PACKED when we were there a few years back and we didn't get to ride. Hoping to get up there later this summer though.
                            I first got to Ghostrider in 2004, and it had some character, but was overall still quite enjoyable (and a top ten coaster). I got a ride in 2007, and it seemed like a completely different coaster, disappointingly similar to Hercules. Needless to say, it dropped out of my rankings.

Funny, here's a line about Thunderhawk from my TR from last year, "The trim before the final few bunny hops was a buzz kill, but I imagine they want to keep it running for another 84 years."

Let the record show, you've been warned about Grizzly - not that I'd think that'd keep you from seeing for yourself!

Originally posted by The Disneylander View Post
                            Thanks for the awesome trip report. Sounds a lot like West Coast Bash Robb put on for TPR in March (April?).

Yeah, Terminator kicks some serious butt at night.
                            Thanks! Not sure about the West Coast Bash, but the ERT sessions were ridiculous - I'm impressed how deliberate the park managers were in sticking it to Cedar Point by offering the night ERT on EVERYTHING.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X