• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dth316
    You're late for TEAAA!!!!
    • Oct 2009

When does MM get less crowded?

This is probably something the locals can answer, but when does Magic Mountain get less crowded? Does anyone know specifically when the schools start back up over there? As much as I like MM, I absolutely LOATHE being there when it's crowded. It makes the experience just unbearable so an opportune time to go is desired. Usually I would go the week before summer in May but this year, we were waiting for the Green Lantern to open. I'm looking at the hours schedule now and starting the week of the 22nd, the park closes at 6. Is that when school starts or can I expect sooner and possibly go on a 8 PM closing day? Traditionally, I would just go some time in September because that'd be the sure time to go on a weekday to not see crowds but they're closed for pretty much the entire month.

If the 22nd is the week to go to avoid the crowds than that's fine but it'd be cooler to go a bit sooner than. And a FlashPass is out of the question. There's no way my friends can afford that :-/
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Re: When does MM get less crowded?

LAUSD - September 7th

Santa Clarita School Districts:
    Castaic School District - August 11th
    William S. Hard School District - August 18th
    Saugus School District - August 17th
    Sulphur Springs School District - August 18th
    Newhall School District - Still has 2009 calendar up on their site, but one can assume it would be around the same time.

Palmdale School District - September 6th
    Lancaster School District - September 7th
    Antelope Valley High School District - Aug 8th

Ventura Area Schools:
    Ventura School District - August 23rd
    Oxnard School District - August 30th
    Pleasant Valley School District - August 31st

Bakersfield School District - August 22nd

So most of the schools in direct view of SFMM are back when you are planning on going, LAUSD is still out which won't be of much help.

It won't be TOO bad, but won't be weekday in May dead either.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• dth316
      • Oct 2009

Thanks a bunch. I think I'll be safe for my planned week. I'm sure if I get there at opening, rush to X2 and then go counter clockwise of the herd, I should have a pretty decent trip. Well actually, I plan on skipping X2. Me and everyone else I know always seems to end up getting hurt on that ride.

Do people still rush to X2 or are people these days rushing to Green Lantern? I may consider rushing to Green Lantern, considering my friends and I always end up with bruises after getting off of X2.

Comment

• mickeyfan4ever
        MiceChatter
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by dth316 View Post
        This is probably something the locals can answer, but when does Magic Mountain get less crowded? Does anyone know specifically when the schools start back up over there? As much as I like MM, I absolutely LOATHE being there when it's crowded. It makes the experience just unbearable so an opportune time to go is desired. Usually I would go the week before summer in May but this year, we were waiting for the Green Lantern to open. I'm looking at the hours schedule now and starting the week of the 22nd, the park closes at 6. Is that when school starts or can I expect sooner and possibly go on a 8 PM closing day? Traditionally, I would just go some time in September because that'd be the sure time to go on a weekday to not see crowds but they're closed for pretty much the entire month.

If the 22nd is the week to go to avoid the crowds than that's fine but it'd be cooler to go a bit sooner than. And a FlashPass is out of the question. There's no way my friends can afford that :-/
        sunday are not bad sunday is less crowed cuz i went on sunday and it was crowed at all
        I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Comment

• Crazee4mm
          Disney friends are #1
          • Dec 2007

Here is something I absolutely SWEAR BY! I have made it my mission to let everyone know that between the Easter Holiday and Memorial Day weekend EVERY YEAR that Magic Mountain is a ghost town (except on the weekends). Once Easter weekend is over, Magic Mountain continues on a 7-day a week schedule. They don't advertize this BUT, if you go on any weekday between Easter and Memorial Day (about a 4-5 week span) you will find that you will be the only one in the coaster trains! I have purchased my season passes for the past 7-8 years specifically with this period in mind. School is still in session YET, Magic Mountain is running on a schedule more appropriate for a summer month rather than an off-season schedule of weekends only. They use this time to prep the new employees, increase maintenance for the upcoming summer rush, rehearsal time for cast members of various shows, and to familiarize employees with customer relations before the summer crush.

The benefit is that the park is open, but empty. You are allowed to stay on any ride indefinitely where there isn't someone waiting in line for your seat when you return to the station. if there is, just get out of your seat and move to another one in the same train! I know this seems like a long wait until Easter of next year BUT, it's the only time I can absolutely guarantee you that you will be in a veritable deserted park with endless employees catering to your every need. There was one day that I went during this period this year when I counted less than 30 cars in the parking lot at the time I arrived around 12:30. I didn't see my first "fellow guest" until I was in front of Goliath! It was THAT DEAD! It's my favorite time to visit. Mark my words!!! Buy your pass early, and use it often. I usually save the summer months for Hurricane Harbor as I too, have no patience for lines at MM anymore. At least not since I've been going between Easter and Memorial Day. However, once Memorial Day weekend hits, Magic Mountain is fairly crowded every day for the rest of the summer. :yea:
          Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-12-2011, 01:57 AM.
          One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Comment

• dth316
            • Oct 2009

Wow, sounds awesome! The last two times, I went the Thursday before Memorial Day and it had a minimal crowd. Nothing unbearable but when rides like Riddlers Revenge was only using one train and the station area was full, the wait would be up to about 45 minutes in a REALLY cramped, cattle crowding like room. I can do 15 minute waits and stuff but in the heat MM is prone too, the annoying teenagers always around and with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to look at while waiting in line, it's almost unbearable to do anything longer. Also, any time there's only one train for a ride feels like an eternity, even if you are next in line. But my gf and I decided on the 22nd of September so I'm hoping this will be a great choice! (the cast of Victorious, a Nickelodeon show, will be there on the 15th and we LOVE that show... but once again, crowds are steering us away haha)

Comment

• Crazee4mm
              Disney friends are #1
              • Dec 2007

I HATE the Riddler's Revenge loading station. Worst design ever! Plus, it's usually hotter than Hades in there during the summer. Have a great time in September! Just remember to go back in May of next year. You'll be the only one in that Riddler's Revenge station, and that single train will be all yours. Just do it on a weekday AFTER Easter. With you going so close to Memorial Day weekend this year, you probably got in there just as the attendance numbers were beginning to rise. With year-round schools, there were probably a few who took the entire week off rather than just the 3 or 4 day weekend.
              One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                MiceChatter
                • Feb 2005

I agree with Crazee4mm, those are the absolute best times to go to the park. I generally try and take a few days off in that time-span to head up to the park (or at least a few hours in the morning because honestly, you only need a few hours to do everything).

Many coasters will only run 1 train those weeks (and some may be closed) but honestly, it doesn't matter. Other than private Coaster events (like West Coast Bash) you don't see shorter lines than those weeks.

Comment

• dth316
                  • Oct 2009

Decided on going the 22nd. I'll let you guys know how it goes with a TR! Will probably skip a trip next year and wait until 2013 to go in that Easter - Memorial Day time. I don't like going to MM twice within a year period - - it's not like Disneyland in that regard where I can go twice a month and never get bored of it. I often find myself bored of MM near the end of the trip haha

Comment

• Crazee4mm
                    Disney friends are #1
                    • Dec 2007

Magic Mountain tickets just went up to $61.99 with parking at $15.00. I strongly suggest you look for some discount coupons (Taco Bell recently had some $25 off ones that were good for up to 4 people per coupon). You might have some trouble finding these coupons now as they have been out there for a while (they expire Oct 2nd.). However, IF you can find them, it's well worth the hunt. PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple if you want. I grabbed a handful in June and have been using them on friends (I have a MM PAP) all summer long. If you're going with a friend/gf, it'll save you $50. Have fun!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                      MiceChatter
                      • Feb 2005

There are ALWAYS discount tickets to SFMM ... Simply purchasing them online will save you some $$.

Comment

• iamdisneysgirl
                        "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"
                        • Aug 2010

Wow you are seriously a helpful Micechatter! I will try this next year cos I love no lines and an empty park.

Originally posted by Crazee4mm View Post
                        Here is something I absolutely SWEAR BY! I have made it my mission to let everyone know that between the Easter Holiday and Memorial Day weekend EVERY YEAR that Magic Mountain is a ghost town (except on the weekends). Once Easter weekend is over, Magic Mountain continues on a 7-day a week schedule. They don't advertize this BUT, if you go on any weekday between Easter and Memorial Day (about a 4-5 week span) you will find that you will be the only one in the coaster trains! I have purchased my season passes for the past 7-8 years specifically with this period in mind. School is still in session YET, Magic Mountain is running on a schedule more appropriate for a summer month rather than an off-season schedule of weekends only. They use this time to prep the new employees, increase maintenance for the upcoming summer rush, rehearsal time for cast members of various shows, and to familiarize employees with customer relations before the summer crush.

The benefit is that the park is open, but empty. You are allowed to stay on any ride indefinitely where there isn't someone waiting in line for your seat when you return to the station. if there is, just get out of your seat and move to another one in the same train! I know this seems like a long wait until Easter of next year BUT, it's the only time I can absolutely guarantee you that you will be in a veritable deserted park with endless employees catering to your every need. There was one day that I went during this period this year when I counted less than 30 cars in the parking lot at the time I arrived around 12:30. I didn't see my first "fellow guest" until I was in front of Goliath! It was THAT DEAD! It's my favorite time to visit. Mark my words!!! Buy your pass early, and use it often. I usually save the summer months for Hurricane Harbor as I too, have no patience for lines at MM anymore. At least not since I've been going between Easter and Memorial Day. However, once Memorial Day weekend hits, Magic Mountain is fairly crowded every day for the rest of the summer. :yea:
                        :thumbup:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X