No announcement yet.

USH Backlot fire- 5 years later

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USH Backlot fire- 5 years later

I havnt seen anyone mention it, but June 1st was the 5th anniversary of the devastating backlot fire. I did a blog post at Universal Studios Fire- Before and After - Nothing Dies With Blue Skies with a bunch of photos from after the fire to the finished rebuild.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P6050294.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	28612
    Universal Studios Fire- Before and After - Nothing Dies With Blue Skies

Re: USH Backlot fire- 5 years later

cool link!!!!
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

I'll go check that out- thanks!
      I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Sad that the old Kong attraction is gone, but got a new, cool one, that's exclusive to USH.

sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
        Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

If memory serves correctly, this isn't the first backlot fire in the park's history.

Matter of fact, there have been many...

From Wikipedia:

Backlot fires

Universal Studios Hollywood's backlot has been damaged by fire 9 times throughout its history.[4] The first was in 1932 when embers from a nearby brush fire were blown towards the backlot causing 4 movie sets to be destroyed and over $100,000 damage.[5] Seventeen years later in 1949 another brush fire caused the complete destruction of one building and damage to two others.[6] In 1957, the New York street film studio set was destroyed by an arson fire causing half a million dollars damage.[7] Ten years later, in 1967, twice as much damage was done when the Little Europe area and part of Spartacus Square was destroyed. It also destroyed the European, Denver and Laramie street sets.[8] In 1987, the remaining portion of Spartacus Square was destroyed along with street sets and other buildings. As with the 1957 fire, this was suspected to be the result of an arsonist.[9] Just three years later another deliberate fire was started in the backlot. The New York Street set, the Ben Hur set and the majority of Courthouse Square was destroyed.[10] In 1997, the seventh fire occurred at the backlot.[4] A portion of the Courthouse Square was again destroyed leaving the Courthouse itself to live another day.[11]
          So the one I was thinking of was in 1987, but apparently wasn't the first one, either.
          "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.