This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Street Journal: Wizarding World Coming to Universal Hollywood

Wizarding World of Harry Potter coming to Universal Studios Hollywood.

NBCU Plans 'Harry Potter' Theme Park in California - WSJ.com

Harry Potter is riding his magic broomstick to Southern California.
    NBCUniversal is planning to expand its Los Angeles theme park with a section devoted to the "Harry Potter" franchise, according to people familiar with the matter, hoping to repeat the success of a similar attraction at NBCU's Orlando, Fla., resort.

The new "Harry Potter" addition in the Los Angeles park, Universal Studios Hollywood, will likely resemble the one in Florida, these people say, which includes a Hogwarts Castle, roller coasters, and several Potter-themed restaurants including the Hog's Head tavern, which serves butterbeer, as in the books.
    If the new section succeeds, more "Potter" attractions could open in other parts of the world where Universal has theme parks, including Japan, Singapore, and Spain, say people close to Universal.

Universal Studios' 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' theme park in Orlando cost roughly $220 million to build. Another is on tap for California. NBCU, which is majority owned by Comcast Corp., is expected to make an announcement about the initiative next week, according to those people. A spokeswoman for Universal declined to comment.

Universal opened the first Harry Potter theme park attraction at its Universal Orlando Resort, called "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter," in June 2010. Costing roughly $220 million to build, the addition has helped draw bigger crowds to Universal Orlando, which has long lagged behind rival theme parks in the area operated by Walt Disney Co.

In May, after "The Wizarding World" was open for almost a year, the company reported that attendance at the Universal Orlando Resort in the first quarter had soared to 2.8 million visitors from 1.7 million in the year-earlier period. In the first quarter of 2011, revenue for the resort nearly doubled, to $309 million.
    The Potter brand is powerful. The series of seven books by J.K. Rowling spawned eight movies produced by Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros., growing into the largest film franchise in Hollywood history.
    .... more at the link
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM. Reason: paraphrased/quoted article

Re: Wall Street Journal: Wizarding World Coming to Universal Hollywood

Wow, not entirely unexpected news, but with Transformers coming next year I wasn't expecting this announcement until sometime after that opened. Granted, they haven't officially annouced it yet, but with this article, they will probably have to soon.

WSJ is fine ... but we generally paraphrase and quote articles rather than posting the entire thing (which I've done).

Comment

The new "Harry Potter" addition in the Los Angeles park, Universal Studios Hollywood, will likely resemble the one in Florida, these people say, which includes a Hogwarts Castle, roller coasters, and several Potter-themed restaurants including the Hog's Head tavern, which serves butterbeer, as in the books.
      That quote only mentions everything else ... and nothing of the major "E Ticket" ride. So ... is that just a mis-quote?

Plus ... perhaps I'm wrong ... But I thought I knew Universal Studios enough to know .. they have no room for expansion at all. It's a matter now .. of removing things ... in order to make room for newer stuff. Which is what they are doing with Transformers. Out goes "Back Draft" ... in with "Transformers".

So .... What is old enough ... and outdated enough to make room for Harry?

The answer will be quite interesting to me ... as the park is situated in a very tight position. Tighter than even Disneyland.

---------- Post added 11-30-2011 at 07:19 PM ----------

Another thing I find interesting ... Universal is willing to release this information before the Transformers attraction is complete.

This method of announcing new attractions ahead of new ones still in construction has not been done since an earlier time in Disney's history.

Disney won't announce ONE THING beyond Carsland, not set to open for another half year (or more).

Could this announcement from "the competition" force Disney to release news of projects beyond Carsland soon .. instead much later?
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

The article also mentions the Universal park in Spain, but PortAventura was sold off a few years ago.

Comment

I still want the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to stay a Florida only experience
          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

This makes me very HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Interesting move on universal's part.

I've grown up with US-Hollywood, and went to US-Florida this year. I thought Harry Potter land was ok. It was rather tight there as well, but they themed it rather well.

I agree with earlier posts, not sure where they will put it. They can possibly tear down the Conan stage or the Waterworld stage.

Comment

I just wonder where they would put it...You don't want it on the upper lot because the entrance is there...If you put it on the lower lot the castle might look a bit odd when you look down on it.
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

I've heard that water world will be the first thing to go if there is a major expansion. Would be sad to go since it's such a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
                    I've heard that water world will be the first thing to go if there is a major expansion. Would be sad to go since it's such a great show.
                    I just think it would be weird having a major attraction right near the entrance. Talk about a log jam...although maybe they will redo the whole area or something.
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                      I just think it would be weird having a major attraction right near the entrance. Talk about a log jam...although maybe they will redo the whole area or something.
                      I can't forsee it being in the bottom part of the park for one other reason. In Florida, when the park opens, people make a mad dash to that area.

Now, imagine throngs of people trying to make a mad dash through those massive stairs and escalators.

Putting it where Waterworld is may make better sense, since it's closer to the park entrance.

No matter where you put it, people will be rushing to that area.

Comment

Putting a looming Castle in the Lower Lot or along the edges of the Upper Lot will not work as these areas can bee seen from various filming locations throughout the lot. Anything in those areas would have to be bare along one or more sides (ie the back and sides of The Simpsons, the side of KK, etc) to minimize impact on production, the real money maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                          So .... What is old enough ... and outdated enough to make room for Harry?
                          How about the ENTIRE UPPER LOT (with the exception of Simpsons and the Tram Tour entrance).

Upper lot currently consists of:

House of Horrors
                          Waterworld
                          T2:3D
                          Shrek 4D
                          Special Effects Stages
                          Simpsons
                          Tram Tour Entrance
                          Animal Actors Stage
                          Curious George Water Play Area

Like I said, other than Simpsons and Tram ... nothing that isn't outdated/needs replacing.

Comment

well maybe this means they will finally answer that rumor of Gibson getting removed. Maybe waterworld, gibson and the pathway for employees will get removed for Harry

Comment

Originally posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
                              well maybe this means they will finally answer that rumor of Gibson getting removed. Maybe waterworld, gibson and the pathway for employees will get removed for Harry
                              Move the Gibson to the lot near Gate 6 (Bullwinkle I think). The lot is CityWalk accessible already via an elevated walkway. Vehicles needing to use the new Gibson can use underground parking/loading/unloading.

---------- Post added 11-30-2011 at 10:14 PM ----------

I'll post a diagram of what I'm talking about late tomorrow.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X