X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malin's Universal Studios Japan Trip Report

Universal Studios Japan Trip Report

I was recently fortunate to visit Universal Studios in Japan and I have to say the park left me both impressed and disappointed at the same time. First can I recommend to anyone who is visiting to arrive very early, as the process to buying park tickets is a very slow and draining experience, especially if you visit during a time when a lot of school kids show up in groups of friends but all want to pay separately. Having visited a lot of Japan tourist spots during my trip I think the park is missing out on an opportunity to not place vending machines at the gates where Guest who are only visiting for a day can purchase park tickets, without having to wait with everyone else who is redeeming vouchers and discount coupons. During my trip the park was in full preparation for the opening of its newest attraction Space Fantasy, so plenty of banners and posters were up promoting the attraction.

Space Fantasy was in early reviews but decided against waiting 170 minutes for the chance to ride and concentrated instead on the rest of the park.

The rest of the park is made up of attractions that can be found at any other Universal including Water World, which is a fantastic stunt show. Spiderman which has to be one of the best Universal rides and Jaws which is a bit tamer than what I remember it being in Orlando, although the attraction host were very cute in trying to tell the story and comical trying to fire a gun at a rubber shark. Spiderman, Shrek 3D and Terminator 3D also top the list here.

Another interesting show was this Woody Wood Pecker show which featured a live performer behind a glass interacting with animated scenes.

But overall merchandise was fun and unique, Magical Starlight was a blast and it was fun to be able to ride Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Jaws again!
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: Malin's Universal Studios Japan Trip Report

hey... I know this is japan... but lets skip the upskirt photos (of the Hello Kitty show)..

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Really? I liked that photo.
        Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Thanks for the report. We have always wanted to venture to USJ when we visit Japan but never seem to make time for it.

Comment

Thanks for another nice TR...

some random thoughts...

I think the view of the hotels is not entirely obtrusive, since the main section of the park is themed to a fairly contemporary feeling Hollywood...and in Hollywood today of course there are plenty of modern midrises to go along with the older art deco buildings. Also, Universal has (sadly) never attempted to achieve the level of thematic immersion / illusion that Disney often seeks, for example with the use of esssentially unthemed coasters like Hollywood Dream, plus the way different themed lands are often not visually isolated from each other.

I love the look of the Oz land, though the idea behind it is somewhat random (also I doubt that the Wicked show would make much of an impression after seeing it at the Pantages). If Disney ever designed a Fantasyland with an Agrabah castle, then I think this land at USJ would be a great template for the "village" buildings and Small World facade.

It's a handicap for Universal that they do not have some home-grown stockpile of characters that Disney does...the random assortment seen at each park (US and Japan) does not greatly appeal to me. I wish Universal would draw more from its own heritage...for example, the new Space Fantasy ride looks cool from the vids I have seen, but I wish they had still retained ET as the central character.
            Down with the Hat

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              hey... I know this is japan... but lets skip the upskirt photos (of the Hello Kitty show)..

Thanks for posting.

I don't mind.

Great report!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X