This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/19: Jolly Holiday

Guest columnist Alain Littaye finds Mary Poppins flying high in London. Discuss it here...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/19: Jolly Holiday

It looks like a great show. Does anybody know when this might open on broadway?

Comment

Comment

The only theatre in New York that could accomidate the incredibly tall set is the same theatre that currently houses The Phantom of the Opera. In spite of the fact that the show is in a rapid decline, Andrew Lloyd Weber refuses to close Phantom down. If it eventually stops turning a profit then he may reconsider, however.

And a side note. The "Special Effects Wizards" referenced throughout this wonderful column actually refers to one man who designed and executed the creation of these effects. That man is Jim Steinmeyer, a professional magician turned special effects artist. For more on Jim or to see what else he has worked on visit www.jimsteinmeyer.com.
        I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DVkid07
          In spite of the fact that the show is in a rapid decline, Andrew Lloyd Weber refuses to close Phantom down.

How is Phantom in a rapid decline? can you be specific?

Comment

I actually saw Mary Poppins a little less than two weeks ago. I thought they did a fantastic job. They took a smart route, not making it too much like the book or like the movie, so that people wouldn't compare them. The guy who played Bert was amazing, and Mary Poppins was really good too (even though we had an understudy). We had nosebleed seats and we could still appreciate the whole thing. If anyone goes to London, I would definetly recommend seeing it.
            Did you hear about the three blondes who were driving to Disneyland?
            After being in the car for hours, they saw a sign that said "Disneyland left" so they turned around and went home.

Comment

Phantom is one of the most popular shows on broadway as we speak.. Someone just might not like the show, so they decided to say it's in decline. When really it's one of the most popular...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
              ~

Comment

FYI; While I was in Israel over the summer I saw millions of posters in Hebrew saying that Mary Poppins would be coming to Israel soon! So I do think that it will end up in the USA Soon!
                Alex

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney

My Flickr: Flickr.com/agoldman
                My Twitter: Twitter.com/al3xg
                My Facebook: Facebook.com/al3xg

Comment

Phantom is not selling like it used to. The movie has done some good to keep sits filled, and it is still successful in that most people see it as synonymous with Broadway and theatre, but it is not doing the numbers it once was or the numbers that Mary Poppins could do.

I adore Phantom and pray it doesn't close prior to my December New York trip because I haven't seen it yet. This is not a Weber-Hater opinion at all.

There is also a chance that the show will come to another city, say LA. There are theatres in LA that could accommodate the incredibly tall set , the Pantages for example. I'd love to see it come stateside soon. Fingers crossed.
                  I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

Comment

I understand the need to keep the effect at the end of Mary Poppins a secret in deference with those blessed financially and geographically who might see it. But how about letting those poor broke sods on the wrong continent in on the secret?

Comment

I saw the show in April. I loved it. I really enjoyed the mix of new and classic songs and thought the production was very well put together. I can't claim to be a technical theater critic, although I have seen quite a few shows. I thought this was the most seriously produced of the 5 Disney has done (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Hunchback - in Berlin, Aida and this one). This show actually had enough material to be a 2 act show, and even though they added new songs, it still felt like the original story in spirit.
                      If you are a Disney fan, you'll enjoy it.

Comment

I do hope that the "London attractions" he hinted at include the London Dungeon (Or as I like to call it, "Disneyland for Goths")

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

They added 6-7 new songs in to beauty and the beast, it's easily a 2 act play... I should know, I'm doing it right now :P

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                          ~

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                            I do hope that the "London attractions" he hinted at include the London Dungeon (Or as I like to call it, "Disneyland for Goths")
                            Hello, all, Alain Littaye, here. Yes, "morrigoon" one of the two attractions i will talk about in my next article will be the great and gothic "london dungeon"!

Also, i forgot to mention for those of you who will go to london and see the mary poppins show that the best seats are in the "J", "K", "L", "M" AND "N" rows in the "stalls". The best of the best is the "L" row, but most of the seats in this one are "house seats" they keep for VIP.

Thanks to all of you who love my articles!
                            http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

Comment

I saw this in July, it was fantastic, I loved it! If you would like to purchase some of the souvenirs for yourself even if you never get to London you can buy a selection of them at marypoppinsthemusical.com. (You can get the parrot head umbrella for less than they have been selling on ebay even with the shipping from London.) We bought the souvenir program, cd soundtrack with the new songs, a t-shirt and a key chain to use as a christmas tree ornament. You also have to buy the normal program (which should come with your ticket in my opinion) for 3 pounds if you want to know the names of the cast and crew. I called the theater in London before we left the US to ask which seats they suggested. I'm glad that we did. I think it cost $12 for the call though. If you would like another review that reveals the surprise ending go to www.curtainup.com and look up the Mary Poppins review. It does a fantastic job of describing all the sets. It doesn't have as many pictures as Alain's does though.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X