This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/12: Take Flight

Kevin takes a look at the ups of SeaWorld Orlando's new Manta coaster, and the downs of DisneyWorld's new observational balloon. Discuss it all here!

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 5/12: Take Flight

Great stuff Kevin. I'm glad you enjoyed Manta.

I've ridden two of the "Superman's" and also Tatsu and I thought they were fun. Tatsu however really is dissapointing for me becuase it doesn't have any of those "close calls" you were talking about happening on Manta. They just built it on top of the hill, and while it gives you gret views (of what, who knows), I wish they would have done it more like this where you grip the terrain like other Magic Mountain coasters like Revolution, Gold Rusher or Ninja.

But back to Manta, it looks amazing, and we'll certainly be making a trip to SWO on our next trip to Orlando.

Comment

i really love riding on manta..
      just do what you think...

Comment

Thanks for the article, Kevin. Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with Characters In Flight yet, but stick with it - the Panoramagique balloon at Disneyland Resort Paris sometimes suffers from the same problem, but it's a worthwhile experience once you're up there!
        Originally posted by fizzog
        Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

Comment

I have been thinking about checking out the Characters In Flight Balloon, if I visit Downtown Disney, on my up and coming trip in August. If the Balloon is operational, perhaps I will get in line. If not, I will be disappointed, but certainly not hearbroken. Perhaps a Sky Tower, would have been a better choice for that location. That would not be at the mercy of the wind, the way this balloon is.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Yay Elitch Gardens!

Sorry oyu had so much trouble w/the balloon... seems like such a waste of time, esp. because the wind can be so fickle!!
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Kevin - Thanks for the great report on Manta - Looks like a lot a fun! However, sometimes I have to question why Sea World feels the need to bring in thrill rides and coasters? I guess they think families can't get enough enjoyment from the shows and sea life...Just my opinion.

As for Characters in Flight, you may know that here in Orange County at the former El Toro Marine Base (and where the so-called "Great Park" fiasco may one day happen) the have the same kind of balloon run by the same company. Riding it is FREE!! It's done as a way to promote the Great Park. The balloon operates Thursday through Sunday, weather and wind premitting. It's been operating for about a year but I have yet to ride on it although I have been to the complex (the balloon was grounded due to wind), and from where I work I can see it perfectly everyday. The San Diego Wild Animal Park also has a balloon which is an extra cost to ride.

Comment

Kevin, did you really mean to write "Balloon Nazi" in your article? Bad form there dude.

Comment

Manta is a really good coaster. I was impressed with the landscaping, as I've been on Superman Ultimate Flight and there's barely landscaping to be found. It definitely adds to the experience. One thing though, I'm pretty sure Montu is larger than Dueling Dragons, so your comparison doesn't really make sense.

Comment

Knowing how unpredictable Florida weather can be, especially in the summer, I don't know how well Characters in Flight (CIF?) can work. I mean rollercoasters and rides like that are one thing, but they're not as susceptible to lower winds, and lets not forget that even if it's a slight breeze on the ground it could be much higher winds 400 ft. in the air.
                    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
                      Kevin, did you really mean to write "Balloon Nazi" in your article? Bad form there dude.
                      It's a Seinfeld reference. The section was subtitled "No Balloon For You!"
                      Kevin Yee
                      MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                      Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                      Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                      Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                      Mouse Trap
                      Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                      101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                      Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Thank you for the article Kevin. I've never been on a flying coaster and this on looks great. I noticed in the photo taken at the loading area that one of the riders was bare foot. I assume he had flip flops and removed them so not to loose them during the ride. But I don't see him holding them. Are riders allowed to store them in the lockers you mentioned and then walk bare foot through the queue? Thanks again.
                        "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

Comment

There are lockers outside the ride, and a set of cubbyholes right there on the loading platform (actually, between the two platforms, and in the exit corridor). The outside lockers are for bags, purses, etc, while the platform cubbyholes would be for flipflops (and presumably, not much else).
                          Kevin Yee
                          MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
                          Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Very nicely written review, Kevin. Interesting how the water jets are timed to shoot upward as each Manta train dips near them. Enjoyed the original photography of the ride you produced, as well as your discription of the various aspects of the ride ..and your comparisan of it to other coasters.

You captured the stunning theming as well. The aquariums offer more ocean life than what I was expecting. Did you get wet from the waer jets?
                            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

No water from the jets hit me in the middle or in the front rows... I assume that was a universal experience, but am willing to be corrected if someone else got wet!
                              Kevin Yee
                              MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
                              Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X