Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10/20: Dash & Dine

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10/20: Dash & Dine

    Walt Disney World 10K "Race for the Taste," Reservations, Carousel of Progress, Everest Photos, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

  • #2
    Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

    Is it's name changing? or just a new sign for MGM?






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

      Originally posted by Evan-500
      Is it's name changing? or just a new sign for MGM?
      contract expired.. and some murchandise has been pulled... I believe they are renamig the park... but might be wrong.. MP said look on January 1... I might go and take photos of last reminents of things before they get renovated...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

        Nice update, Kevin!

        Any talk on when the actual open date for Everest? I would expect soft openings
        by mid March with the dedication etc to coincide with something from
        the *real* expedition in May.

        BTW. did anyone else think that the "locomotive" (first train) on Everest
        looked funky? Pseudo BTMRR. Probably based on some Tibetian or Nepalese
        locomotive. Looks like nice weathering work on the whole train.

        I really hope they just update CoP. It was one of my favorites in DL and is
        a favorite in MK. But on the other hand, I agree that it's showing its age.
        It would really be neat is to move it to EPCOT, but doubt that Disney will
        put up the money for that. Maybe some clever Imagineer could think of
        something clever to incorporate it into some other ride/show.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

          I wish they'd drop Innoventions and bring CoP back here.

          I also liked Kevin's idea for putting it in the Horizons Pavilion. As long as the show's being moved, how about keeping the 20-year intervals, but adding more show scenes to bring it up to modern day? The 1980s saw the widespread use of microwaves, the introduction of the walkman, the first vestiges of home computing... All major changes since 1960. Then of course the "new" turn of the century (nice way to tie up the show too... one century of development!) has the internet, digital everything, flat screens, hybrid cars...

          I love the charm of this show, and the idea behind it. I think freshening it up by adding MORE scenes rather than just changing the last one would be a terrific idea, and very in keeping with the whole Epcot thing.

          Kevin, I really think you're on to something suggesting this show be moved to Epcot!

          Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

            Morigoon: that's a nice idea (of adding more scenes)!

            Also what would be nice is to add a Future scene (like Progress City)
            completely different from the others (longer, etc). Even add an AA
            that responds to you (ala Crush & the rumored Roz). Or maybe
            have a heavy made up CM be still and "unfreeze" to interact with
            you in the "Future". They maybe unload into an Innoventions-like
            area... heck, they could unload directly into EPCOT's Innoventions!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

              The images this time veered ever so slightly into the "too-artistic" category for my taste. Shouldn't an introduction to a brand-new park be unashamed to feature clear, wide-angle, tourist-type photographs as a way to help introduce the park?
              This has been one of my two major problems with this magazine. I like a cleverly designed photo probably better than many, being in the video production biz. And I like new ways of looking at old things. But these guys lean so freakin' far in that direction that it's just not fun to look at the pics. And you make an excellent point that most people at this stage would like to see what the park really looks like, not a color study of a bench.

              My other problem (sorry I'm doing this in your thread, Kevin, but it's a convenient outlet to vent!) is that the writing is so scholarly that it's just about not readable. It's a beautifully laid out, high quality publication that seems to be seeking an audience. After this issue, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to resubscribe. And that says something that, in the big vacuum that the Disney Magazine left, this one isn't filling the void very well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

                Originally posted by danyoung
                This has been one of my two major problems with this magazine. I like a cleverly designed photo probably better than many, being in the video production biz. And I like new ways of looking at old things. But these guys lean so freakin' far in that direction that it's just not fun to look at the pics. And you make an excellent point that most people at this stage would like to see what the park really looks like, not a color study of a bench.

                My other problem (sorry I'm doing this in your thread, Kevin, but it's a convenient outlet to vent!) is that the writing is so scholarly that it's just about not readable. It's a beautifully laid out, high quality publication that seems to be seeking an audience. After this issue, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to resubscribe. And that says something that, in the big vacuum that the Disney Magazine left, this one isn't filling the void very well.
                The publication you are referring to is an ego trip, pure and simple.

                It's designed to make its publishers feel important and gain their co-workers improved access to Disney media parties, Imagineers and C-List celebs.

                Knowing the opinions/agendas of the people behind the magazine, I'm not surprised by the pseudo-intellectual, 'artistic' slant of it. I personally hope it fails miserably, but that may just be my true emotions coming out.

                On the subject of the CoP, also raised in Kevin's column, it should be updated and go revolving on and on. the show's core concept is timeless IF it is allowed to be made relevant to today's audience. But any ideas about it moving, either to Epcot or back to DL, are just fanboy/girl dreams. The stand needs to be made here and now.

                And emailing and phoning your Disney execs in charge is worth something, so is getting the media involved NOW before the official word comes down.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 10/20: Dash & Dine

                  Originally posted by WDW1974
                  But any ideas about it moving, either to Epcot or back to DL, are just fanboy/girl dreams. The stand needs to be made here and now. And emailing and phoning your Disney execs in charge is worth something, so is getting the media involved NOW before the official word comes down.
                  Well, it was hardly fanboy/fangirl dreams that saved CoP when it left DL. The company actually sometimes does these things. (Granted, that was a different era)

                  As far as being worth something to call/write Disney execs, I will probably be in the unconvinced category for years to come. Yes, I know about Lincoln. That was a different Disney park and an older set of Disney executives. My fence-straddling doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but it does mean I won't foam at the mouth and will do my best to keep an even keel here.

                  I am getting lots of interesting email on this from readers and will share them in next week's update.

                  I do agree with the bit about involving the media, which is why I'm doing my part to relay the rumor.
                  Kevin Yee
                  MiceAge Columnist

                  I am the author of several Disney books:
                  Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                  Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                  Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                  Mouse Trap
                  Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                  101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                  Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

                  “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X