• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Lutz
    MiceAge Founder & Editor
    MiceAge Columnist
    • Jan 2005

3/11: Editor's Note - Tokyo Disney Parks Quake Update

Editor's Note 3/11: UPDATE 9:20 AM PST - FROM A READER: We are at Tokyo DisneySea now and during the earthquake. We were evacuated from buildings and attractions quickly but we were stuck in the park. Since all trains and roads are closed, thousands are stranded. We were given shelter in the many restaurants and buffeterias in the Parks to escape the freezing cold. Kudos to the Cast at the Tokyo Disney Resort. We were watching Legends when the earthquake struck and they were all extremely calm and informative. The Cast made us all feel safe. Even after working who knows how many hours and worrying about their own friends and family, they are there for us. After passing out plenty of drinks, plastic bags (as ponchos), blankets and towels, and hand and foot warmers, the Cast were still so friendly and helpful. They are still out there, in a 30 degree windchill, to make sure we are safe in this terrible situation. Please make sure you recognize the great Cast here. Their service is really out of this world. UPDATE 2 AM PST - While Japan recovers from the massive earthquake, we've received word that there were thankfully no injuries to Cast Members or visitors at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. Both parks were immediately closed and evacuated in an orderly fashion after the quake, and upon initial inspection there appears to be only light damage to park structures and facilities. There is a possibility that the Tokyo parks will remain closed for another day or two as the country focuses on important recovery efforts. - Al Lutz
    Last edited by Al Lutz; 03-11-2011, 08:50 AM. Reason: Updated Information
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp
  • stev777
    • Jun 2006

Re: 3/11: Editor's Note - Tokyo Disney Parks Quake Update

Hi,

I was in Tokyo Disneyland yesterday also. I wanted to add my words of thanks to Cast Members who immediately kicked into some excellent training. I was in the line for Grand Circuit Raceway eating a Churro. They kept on smiling the whole time even whilst instructing everyone to get down and cover your head. In fact it was dealt with so routinely that the whole reality of the situation is only sinking in now after a long day catching up on sleep and watching the tv news. They continued smiling and bowing right up to the moment I left the park this morning at about 7am. I ended up spending the night in Space Mountain in the queue line to get out of the cold... I have the bizarre story to tell that I never got to ride Space Mountain but I slept there instead. Free food and drinks all day and night, and a huge amount of patience with me as I know very little Japanese... to which I am so grateful for their kindness. Free rain macs were given out when it started raining, but also helped block the cold wind. Face mask not for hygiene but for the cold and heat packs distributed also. An amazing effort to look after us, when they surely had other friends and family to be worrying about instead.

This was to be my trip for completing all Disney Parks worldwide... instead it will be remembered for witnessing true professionalism by cast members in very trying times.

My thanks go out to them again.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
    Working...
    X