This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/14: Zip a Dee Doo Blah

Kevin notes the neglect at Orlando's Splash Mountain, More... Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Zip a Dee Doo Blah - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 6/14: Zip a Dee Doo Blah

The whole resort just seems to be falling apart doesn't it? Maybe if Disney World would put a little more money into their parks and spend less time with their DVC obsession, we might see some improvement.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about Splash Mountain after riding it last week. It really is sad to see so many things not working, especially Brer Fox in every scene he appears in. I still remember how cool everything was back when Splash Mountain first opened. I know that has been several years ago now, but this is Disney - it shouldn't be that bad!
      Steve Burns
      Burnsland.com - Disney Railroads and more! Home of the Disney Railroads Discussion Board.
      Burnsland Blog - Pictures and new stuff daily!

Comment

I have noticed the deline in Splash Mountain via recent Memorial Day Weekend trip. However, I'd like to point out that with all the construction walls up around the Magic Kingdom, including the Fantasyland Expansion and the Tiki Room re-themeing, ever think that Disney doesn't want to shutter another ride for a lengthy rehad at this point? With so much space walled off around the Magic Kingdom, not the lease of which is the entire Toon Town area, I'm pretty sure that guests would be screaming mad if a major ride like Splash Mountain were shut down at this time. I'd like to say give them the benefit of the doubt for now, and see if they don't go down for a major rehad once the new things start coming on line.

Just remember, you can't have it both ways. You're getting a major retheming/expansion, so I would expect that some rehab/maintenance might slip in other areas while that was going on. If you had two bathrooms in your house, and gutted one for a complete redo, would you shut down the other one to repaint it at the same time. I think not!

Comment

I rode Splash Monutain while at WDW for the Destination D event and I was shocked at how many effects and animatronics were not working (the paddle boat at the end wasn't rocking back and forth, the fountains were off under the turtles in the Laughing Place, most of the Brer Foxes mouths were immobile, no hopping Brer Rabbit, and on and on). I understand that things can break and they may not be able to be fixed at that instant, but when SO MANY details are malfunctioning than you can't really excuse it. It's just bad show and reeks of cheapness. It reminded me of some broken down old Chuck E. Cheese.

Comment

Kevin - Nice job on the video slide-show! I really enjoyed it and overall I think it saves time over reading the entire article.

Comment

Splash Mountain is better at WDW than Disneyland. Its bad show to have it deteriorate, but we knew that WDW's quality was in decline.

Universal needs more to offer, but I fail to see how it would work without more incentives. I really don't think Orlando can support more theme parks. It is foolish to think both Universal and Disney can keep increasing the prices and expect attendance to remain high, yet they do just that.

Disney continues to increase prices. Their 1 to 3 days passes are not discounted. They only discount days 4 to 10 and park hopping is an extra cost. It is clearly lacking in flexible pricing. Universal can try to take that lack of flexibility and turn it into an advantage.

People are on limited budgets when they travel. It is clear that Disney can no longer claim to be the only attraction in Orlando.

Comment

I gotta wonder - if ALL of the fox mouths aren't working, perhaps the problem is more than just the individual AA figures, and maybe involves the data stream that controls these figures. Perhaps it's something more than just taking a screwdriver and fixing a mechanical problem. But it is pretty sad to have so much of the attraction not working. I noticed on my visit a month ago that the turtle fountains in the Laughing Place were off, just leaving a turtle on a stick. Very bad show there! If something is that broken, take it away till it gets fixed - don't just leave it on stage for all to see!!!

As to the new video vs. text thing, I prefer the text. You did a fine job on the update, but I rarely have 8 minutes to spare in a work day, while I can pull up an article and scan through it pretty quickly. So for me the text works out much better, and I voted as such on the survey. Thanks.

Comment

I agree the Disney has cut to much at both WDW and DL Resorts.

To have 20 or 30 things not operating properly in one attraction is to much.
                  James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

Comment

Zip a Dee Doo Blah

Thank you, Kevin!

We were going to go to WDW in January of 2012, but decided instead to save our Disney Dollars for Disneyland Deluxe APs starting around Sept. of 2012.

(We'll hit Sea World, Legoland, Knott's with our Knotts $59 8-month-long seasonal passes, and--GASP--hike in our beautiful local mountains. We just went--awesome. Nature is really clean! Fellow hikers are on average more polite, cheery and healthy than some garbage-eating theme park patrons. I'm not saying that theme park patrons are less healthy than average, but outdoorsy folks seemed healthier. I still love Disneyland though!)

But I digress. . . Kevin, please continue to point out where Walt Disney World needs to keep up the show for guests who are often traveling far and spending a lot to immerse themselves in Walt Disney World.
                    I really would love to take my kid & wife to WDW. Visiting there was the highlight of my year from the summer of 1972 through 1982--I'd like my daughter to see a place that is almost as magical. They won't get 50 applications for each job opening these days as they did in the 1970s unless they announced a $10 min. wage starting salary, which I understand cannot happen.

What if Tom Staggs and the WDW President said, "We will only take $1 per year till WDW is greater than any theme park ever has been." Just kidding. Sigh.
                    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I rode Splash Mountain on June 2nd and the beehive that you mentioned was broken. That was almost 2 weeks ago! It was really obvious because the others were spinning then you come to the last one and it looks like an immobile pin cushion.

The animatronics on the Zip a Dee Lady looked very dirty and grungy.

I also noticed something either I've never noticed before or that is new. Shadow puppets. In the queue Brer Frog is in the form of a shadow puppet on the porch in one of the vignettes. Also, before the big drop Brer Fox is a shadow puppet when he's telling Brer Rabbit "I"m gon have to skin ya!"

The shadow is very animated in both scenes. Kind of like the ghosts at the end of HM but without color. Was that there before?

Lastly, maybe we can start a letter writing campaign to get rid of the dead wood in TDO? Or at least start a fire under their *sses.
                      http://twitter.com/wdwprince

http://youtube.com/wdwprince

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                        The whole resort just seems to be falling apart doesn't it? Maybe if Disney World would put a little more money into their parks and spend less time with their DVC obsession, we might see some improvement.
                        I disagree. It's usually years between visits for me. Between August 2008 and January 2011 it seemed like things were on the uptick and generally were looking better.

Comment

i have nothin got contribut to this discussion, but only to say i enjoy reading the written article since i am at work usually when i read miceage articles so can't watch a video...either way i'm glad to have the column so thank you!

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

and as much as i would love to visit disneyworld. I wait it out in hope they willl have better days in terms of attraction management and maintenance . Lately it only seems like disneyworld is adding restaurants and hotel rooms, and not working on fixing the current attractions

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadoe View Post
                              I disagree. It's usually years between visits for me. Between August 2008 and January 2011 it seemed like things were on the uptick and generally were looking better.
                              I'm with you on this. I don't think the whole resort is falling apart by any means. But there are definitely things that they could be doing better.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X