Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conversation with Disney Animator Dave Bossert - MiceChat News Team, 2/9/07

MiceChat News Team, 2/9/07

Disney Animator Talks about the Art of Restoring Classics, the Future of 2D Animation and What's Going on in the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot

In over twenty years as an animator, Dave Bossert has survived and thrived in the thrilling and turbulent times that shaped the modern Walt Disney Studios.

A graduate of CalArts in May 1983, he first spent nine months at Don Bluth Productions working on the video arcade classics and Space Ace. Disney soon came calling and in 1984 Bossert signed on as an effects animator for the beleaguered Black Cauldron. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Nightmare Before Christmas and Fantasia 2000Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella and The Little MermaidTrue-Life Adventures for release on DVD last December.

Last year, he directed Winnie the Pooh: Shapes & Sizes, a direct-to-DVD educational release for Disney Learning Adventures that's been nominated for an Annie Award for Best Home Entertainment Production. The Annie Awards will be presented Sunday at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA and are considered the highest honor in the animation industry.

Dave Bossert
    disneytim:Dave Bossert:dt:DB: Ted Kierscey and I did the transformation of the Beast back into the Prince at the end of Beauty and the Beast. Glen Keane did the character animation. Ted and I did all of the effects animation.

dt: Is that your favorite scene?

DB:Roger Rabbitdt: Did you just work on the opening animation sequence in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or did you work on the whole film?

DB: I actually worked throughout the entire film, including the opening cartoon and all of the live action/animation combinations. I pretty much touched a lot of that movie.

dt: What are the challenges of working on a film that combines animation with live action, as opposed to a straight animated film?

DB:Roger Rabbitdt: Of course the animation in Roger RabbitDB:

Winnie the Pooh: Shapes & Sizes

dt: Congratulations on your Annie Award nomination for Winnie the Pooh: Shapes & SizesDB:dt:Bambi II.

DB: The producer (of Bambi II) is an old friend and I actually helped him out throughout the process of making this movie. I did some consulting for them and really tried to help them achieve the look and feel of the original movie. They were kind enough to give me a screen credit.

dt: Many Disney direct-to-video animated sequels like Bambi II have sold well, but they've also had their share of critics who feel updating these beloved classic characters borders on sacrilege. How do you answer those critics?

DB:dt:DB:dt:The Little Mermaid being one of your more recent efforts. Take us through the restoration process.

DB:Bambi

Bambi, fully restored
    Bambidt:DB:Little Mermaid. They refined the process and got better at it, but you still had dust photographed in because you had a camera operator taking a cel and laying it on a background and putting a piece of glass over it. No matter how good you were at trying to blow things off, you always wound up photographing some kind of dust or dirt into it.

The Little Mermaid

dt: But after Little Mermaid, all of that changed, correct?

DB: When we did 2D films like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion Kingdt:True-Life Adventures, and they came out beautiful.

DB:True-Life Adventuresdt: What are you working on now that you can tell us about?

DB: I can tell you we just finished up an unbelievable restoration of Peter Pandt: Tell me more about the Mexico pavilion at Epcot. What can we expect to see?

DB:

dt: Dave, thank you very much for your time.

DB: My pleasure.

--disneytim--
    If you enjoyed this article, please Digg it:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    digg_url = 'http://www.digg.com/movies/A_Conversation_with_Disney_Animator_Dave_Bossert';
    digg_bgcolor = '#FFFFCC';
    </script>
    <script src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Re: A Conversation with Disney Animator Dave Bossert - MiceChat News Team, 2/9/07

Tim,

Thank you for the wonderful interview with Dave Bossert. It was great to see his words on such things as Bambi II and the reworking of the Mexico Pavilion ride at EPCOT. It was also interesting to hear how seriously they take the restoration work of the older films being re-released.

Congratulations on your Annie Award nomination Dave!

-The Dusty Sage
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-09-2007, 09:05 AM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Re: A Conversation with Disney Animator Dave Bossert - MiceChat News Team, 2/9/07

Disneytim, thank you for such a great interview!! :clap:

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Great interview! Look! You're all tight with Disney animators and stuff

Comment

I liked how he discussed the effects with Roger Rabbit. Nice interview again Tim.
          -Jack :geek:
          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Great Interview!
            -Monorail Man

Comment

Great interview Tim!
              "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

wow.. very professional!

from his comments, it sounds like they are redoing all the film in the mexico pavilion.. not just overlaying a character here and there. Interesting!

Comment

That was a wonderful read! I am LOVING the Mexico Pavillion at Epcot. The Three Cabarellos was one of my favorite movies!

I may have to get that Winnie the Pooh: Shapes and Sizes for my 3 year old!

Thanks so much!

Comment

Great interview!

Comment

Wonderful job Tim. Thank you so much for your fabulous efforts.
                      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Wonderful interview Tim. I have enjoy reading this and I am sure it was awesome meeting Dave.
                        Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Great job Tim. I usually dont read long articles on line but this kept me very interested. Awesome.
                          We rock the party that rocks the party!
                          We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

Comment

Thanks for the interview! I am really looking forward to seeing the new Mexico pavilion when it reopens.
                            It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Tim, that was a great interview!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X