This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney; Book Review by disneytim

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination, another Disney tome hit bookstores last week. University of California Press has released The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney

Fantasia and with disgruntled unionizing employees on the brink of a crippling strike. Rather than rallying the troops, trying to allay their fears and address their grievances, Walt is blunt and quick to point the finger. Barrier quotes him in a speech to his employees.

The stumbling and fumbling around of green, inexperienced people has cost this studio millions of dollars . . . My first recommendation to a lot of you is this: put your own house in order; put your own mind in order . . . . You can't accomplish a damn thing by sitting around and waiting to be told everything . . . . Too many fellows are willing to blame their own stupidity on other people.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Cinderella

FantasiaMary PoppinsMary Poppins

Barrier does heap praise on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Snow White

Snow White was palpable as Barrier illustrates here:

The Animated Man

In the end, The Animated Man

--disneytim--

Last edited by disneytim; 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Re: The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney; Book Review by disneytim

Nice review. Probably won't be picking up this book, as I still havent found the time to plow through Gabler's biography.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

To be honest, I find it interesting that many people can write Biographies on Walt Disney and somehow make it different from all the others.

Comment

Thanks for the review disneytim. I am almost finished with the Gabler's book and not sure I want to read another bio on Walt. I feel like I am an expert already.

Comment

Good to know. I appreciate your review.

Comment

Great review. Biographies are difficult when the main character is as loved as Walt Disney. Today there is an urge by biographers to "reveal the dirt" on someone. We want to make our heros "more human" by digging up anything negative. I don't know why we have to know about affairs that John F. Kennedy and Franklin Roosevelt had. Why do we have to know that Lincoln may have been manic depressive? Heros used to me people we could look up to. We would try to model ourselves after. I know that Walt Disney had many flaws. Most biographies speak of his temper, lack of showing appreciation, and his being a "control freak." But the remarkable thing about Walt Disney is nearly everyone love him-- his employees, his competitors, and the public. Nothing Walt every created, his animated films, Disneyland, or anything else compares to the achievement of becoming so loved. In fact, since his death one would be hard pressed to name anyone who has earned the same admiration. Understanding the mystery of how someone can be so revered, is the true essence of a Walt Disney biography. From your review, I assume that this biography does not even attempt to understand that. Too bad.
            Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Thanks for sharing your review with us!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Thanks..I will likely read it as Gabler book blew me away. The whole Snow White period alone is important, as it was one of the few times that Walt was happy. Gabler chchanged my opnion of Walt forever and so I'm loooking for perspective. I heard Walt called the animators "thoughtless little pigs" too :-)
                "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

gabler's biography was the first one I have read in a long time that was truly balanced. It showed the good and the bad and how complex a man walt disney really was. I am not sure I want to read this one only because it seems the author was slanted from the beginning. too many bio's of walt paint him as either a maniacle control freak, or a saint. and this one sounds to be another along those lines. thank you so much for the review I truly enjoyed it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X