• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney to Close Six Clubs at Pleasure Island

Disney to Close Six Clubs at Pleasure Island
    June 29, 2008

The Adventurer's Club
    PHOTO: BigPigletFan

Disney announced that it plans to close six clubs in the Pleasure Island location of Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World after September 27, 2008.

Changes to Pleasure Island have been rumors for years, but the announcement was made internally Friday as well as in the Orlando Sentinel. Over the next few years Disney hopes to add more family-friendly destinations to this area with a broader mix of restaurants and shops.

Raglan Road and merchandise locations will remain open but, BET SoundStage Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, 8Trax Motion, Comedy Warehouse, and the Adventurer's Club will close.

For those who frequent Disney's Pleasure Island (even if once on their annual vacation) seem to show mixed responses to this announcement. Although many saw it coming with the rumors, after 19 years of operation it is still being enjoyed by many. A number of petitions have been created in order to try and save parts, if not all of Pleasure Island. We can only expect more news to follow over the next few weeks.

MiceChat Discussion thread: 9/27/08 - The Demise of P.I.
    Orlando Sentinel.

Re: Disney to Close Six Clubs at Pleasure Island

Ugh, this is bad. P.I. is something I enjoyed most about WDW.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I auditioned for the Adventurer's Club years ago when it first opened, but took a different acting gig instead. I hate to see that club go, though.

Comment

Mannequins was my all time favorite club in the entire universe! sure it was pretty dead most times I visited but where else can you find a rotating dance floor!?! and their lighting system was awesome! sad times..

Comment

Petition to save all clubs...

http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEPI/petition.html

More Adventure Club specific

http://www.petitiononline.com/wdwaclub/petition.html

Comment

I appreciated the fact that PI was a different kind of entertainment option but I feel it was poorly executed. The one exception to this was/is (obviously) The Adventurers Club which is the type of quality, unexpected entertainment that took an average bar and made it something to see.

I wonder what the CPs are gonna do?
            "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Comment

OMG No they can't get rid of the Adventuers Club... That place was such a blast...

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
                Changes to Pleasure Island have been rumors for years, but the announcement was made internally Friday as well as in the Orlando Sentinel. Over the next few years Disney hopes to add more family-friendly destinations to this area with a broader mix of restaurants and shops.
                Seems to me like Disney is getting rid of Pleasure Island all together and eventually that whole area will be called Downtown Disney: Far West End.

Comment

So just more of a maze to wander through then. Adventurer's Club is THE best. How can Disney get rid of it. OK the other places were basically just discos but
                  A C was unique. Just how many tap dancing pigeon places do you know in the world?
                  Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

Pleasure Island was my primary reason for visiting WDW. Being an annual passholder at Disneyland in California, I get plenty of Disney magic. However, when I was looking for a change, and something different, I would head over to PI at WDW.

With PI closing, I no longer see any reason to visit WDW.

In fact, I had been hoping that Disney would build a west coast version of PI in Anaheim. I guess hope for that is lost now as well.

Who is running the Disney company anymore?!?!? What has happened??

Disney Goals:

1. Build it on the cheap
                    2. Squeeze any last dollar out of them
                    3. Tradition? What's that?
                    4. Walt Who?
                    5. Who cares if they like it. We're going to do it our way.
                    6. Quality? Bah. Who needs it.

Comment

Rasulo and Co. just keep killing reasons for me to go to WDW, and here's another. Glad I didn't buy that PI annual pass I was going to last trip. All I want to do is give Disney my money, and then they close it. This was the only 'adult' area of WDW, and now it will be gone. Too bad.

Time to plan one more WDW trip out there before AC closes forever.
                      -Monorail Man

Comment

Is there any idea as to how much longer we will be able to enjoy PI... I hope that it will still be open in October for the Gumball Rally weekend... I love AC and can't imagine a trip to WDW without atleast one visit...

Comment

Originally posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
                          Is there any idea as to how much longer we will be able to enjoy PI...
                          From the article:
                          BET SoundStage Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, 8Trax and three other clubs that have for years catered largely to young, single adults -- rather than to Disney's bread-and-butter family market -- will close after Sept. 27.
                          -Monorail Man

Comment

Wow that Massively sucks... Thanks Monorail Man... I guess I will never be able to go to AC ever again... That really sucks... Disney made a lot of money off of me the last time I was there... I think on booze alone for myself I spend close to $60...

Comment

So everyone that doesn't want to see the AC close, all went and signed the petition, yes?
                              I want my cake back!
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X