Clear All

• 14 films submit for Best Animated Feature Oscar

14 submit for animation Oscar

'WALL-E,' 'Madagascar' sequel among contenders

By Carolyn Giardina
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 10, 2008, 10:13 PM ET

"WALL-E"

Fourteen films have been submitted to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in hopes of securing one of the three nominations available in the best animated feature category.

The contenders are "Bolt," "Delgo," "Dragon Hunters," "Fly Me to the Moon," "Igor," "Kung Fu Panda," "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa," "$9.99," "The Sky Crawlers," "Sword of the Stranger," "The Tale of Despereaux," "Waltz With Bashir" "WALL-E" and "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!"

Because there are at least eight but fewer than 16 submissions, a maximum of three movies can share the spotlight when the Oscar nominations are announced Jan. 22.

Disney/Pixar's "Wall-E" is widely considered the frontrunner to win the Oscar. Competition for the other two nominee slots will include such boxoffice hits as Blue Sky Studio's "Horton," a Fox release, and DreamWorks Animation's "Kung Fu Panda" and "Madagascar" sequel, which were released by Paramount.

The submissions also include Israel's award-winning documentary "Waltz With Bashir," which has emerged as this year's "Persepolis." A Sony Pictures Classics release, "Bashir" also could be a contender in the foreign-language film race.

"Waltz," Disney's 3-D "Bolt," CG fantasy films "Delgo" and "Dragon Hunters," Australian stop-motion title "$9.99," Japanese anime titles "The Sky Crawlers" and "Sword of the Stranger" and London-based Framestore Feature Animation's first title "The Tale of Despereaux" from Universal still await their qualifying runs.

"Bolt" and "Fly Me to the Moon" are stereoscopic 3-D titles.

By next year, the majority of the leading competitors could be 3-D titles, as stereoscopic animated fare scheduled to open in 2009 includes Focus' stop-motion "Coraline," DWA's "Monsters vs. Aliens," Disney's "Up," Blue Sky's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" and Sony Pictures Animation's "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs."
    14 submit for animation Oscar
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 14 films submit for Best Animated Feature Oscar

i think WALL E oughta be in the best pictures race, not animated picture, it's so good.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

I predict: Panda, WALL-E, and then a wild-card of either some international film, or another film that hasn't been released yet.

And it's wrong to see WALL-E here. It deserves a best picture nod.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchon View Post
        And it's wrong to see WALL-E here. It deserves a best picture nod.
        This doesn't mean it can't conceivably end up with a Best Picture nomination, too. It does assure consideration in this category though.

I see 'Bolt' in the third spot myself.
        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I think that they should give the other filmmakers a chance and leave that other spot to a different company. Giving Disney 2/3 of the category weasels away the chances of the other independent or international films that deserve it.

Comment

It's not about over-honoring Disney. It's about honoring the best possible choice. As the Academy terms it:

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: Best animated feature film of the year.*
            Having actually seen many of the titles mentioned in the OP, I'll stick with 'Bolt' as a viable third nominee.

Comment

I'll predict the following 3:

Wall-E
              Kung Fu Panda
              Bolt

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                This doesn't mean it can't conceivably end up with a Best Picture nomination, too. It does assure consideration in this category though.
                This is correct... a film submitted for best animated feature does not mean it is not eligible for best picture as well; it is eligible for both.

It is the same for foreign language feature. I think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2003) was the last film to snag a nomination in both categories.
                --Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM BGI View Post
                  It is the same for foreign language feature. I think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2003) was the last film to snag a nomination in both categories.
                  You're right. Also 'Life is Beautiful' (1999) received a Best Picture nomination, and won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, among a few others.

Comment

I thought "The Tale of Despereaux" looked interesting. I haven't heard of some of these films. I look forward to learning more about them.

Comment

:ot: Oh my gosh, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is being made into a movie? That's one of my favorites!
                      A signature should go here.

Comment

If WALL-E doesn't win Best Animated Feature, I will have lost the last bit of faith I have in the Academy.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

For Your Consideration In All Categories Including Best Picture and Best Animated Feature Film
                          page is up -

The shooting script for 'WALL-E' by Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon is available at:

Walt Disney Studios Awards 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                            For Your Consideration In All Categories Including Best Picture and Best Animated Feature Film
                            page is up -

The shooting script for 'WALL-E' by Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon is available at:

Walt Disney Studios Awards 2008?

High School Musical 3 for all categories including best picture. LOLZ.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                              High School Musical 3 for all categories including best picture. LOLZ.
                              The FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION ads every year offer some truly hilarious (and contractually-obligated) options. They have as great a chance as 'Tropic Thunder', 'Max Payne' or hundreds of others do.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X