• Show
Clear All

• Disney books director for Cyrus/Sparks 'Song' feature

Posted: Mon., Mar. 30, 2009, 8:00pm PT

Robinson to direct Cyrus' 'Song'

Film will begin production in June

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Disney has set Julie Anne Robinson to make her feature directing debut on "The Last Song," a Miley Cyrus starrer that will begin production in June.

The film is a Nicolas Sparks-scripted adaptation of a novel Sparks wrote specifically to turn into a star vehicle for the "Hannah Montana" topliner (Daily Variety, Sept. 16).

Disney-based Offspring Entertainment partners Adam Shankman and Jennifer Gibgot are producing; Tish Cyrus is executive producer.

The British-born Robinson won a BAFTA Award for directing the pilot of the BBC series "Viava Blackpool," and since arriving in the U.S., she has directed episodes of "Big Love," Weeds" and "Grey's Anatomy." She most recently helmed ABC's pilot for the Patricia Heaton starrer "The Middle," created by Eileen Heisler and Deann Heline.

Cyrus will play a rebellious teenager sent to spend the summer with her estranged father.

Sparks' novel will be published by Grand Central in the fall.

UTA repped Robinson, Cyrus, Sparks and Offspring.
    Robinson to direct Cyrus' 'Song' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Disney books director for Cyrus/Sparks 'Song' feature

Miley Cyrus to make a new movie ...
    but where?

Posted 1h 10m ago

By Martha Waggoner
    Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. — Hundreds of people could find jobs when Miley Cyrus begins shooting her new movie — but who gets them depends on where it's filmed.

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue scheduled a news conference Wednesday at EUE/Screen Gems studios in Wilmington to announce a project her office said was "expected to create hundreds of jobs." But the event was canceled, and the state Commerce Department said more time was needed to work out the project's details.

Perdue later told the the Star-News of Wilmington the announcement involved the Cyrus movie The Last Song, based on a script by New Bern author Nicholas Sparks.

"I was hopeful to say that it was coming and now I don't know that I'll get to say that," Perdue told the newspaper.

She said Georgia also is trying to get the movie, which is being distributed by Walt Disney Co. Disney also is behind the Hannah Montana television series and movies that made the 16-year-old Cyrus a 'tween phenomenon.

"Nobody knows what's going to happen. ... I don't know what figures they got from Georgia, but Georgia wants them badly, and we want them badly," Perdue said. "And by Monday, there'll be four or five other states that want them badly."

Perdue spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson refused to confirm Perdue's statement and said the governor was not available for comment.

Alison Tyrer, a spokeswoman for the Georgia Department of Economic Development, declined comment. Sparks did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Disney didn't know where the movie was shooting, spokeswoman Chrissy Woo said in an e-mail. Offspring Entertainment, the production company, referred questions to Disney.

Cyrus said Tuesday that she's not certain she wants to do another Hannah Montana movie after Hannah Montana: The Movie is released April 10. But she is signed for a third season of the TV show and said she's interested in a fourth.

Sparks' movies, such as Nights in Rodanthe and A Walk to Remember have started as novels. But The Last Song began as a script written with Cyrus in mind.

"I've always been lucky to play parts that relate to me, and this doesn't at all," Cyrus said. "I have my issues, but not as bad as this chick. So I'm happy to play someone that's just kind of out there and not someone that I'm like."
    Miley Cyrus to make a new movie ... but where? - USATODAY.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Comment

"The Last Song" Looking for Specific Roles

Casting Update

The Last Song extras casting director is currently looking to cast specific roles for “The Last Song”.

This includes Men and Women aged 18 to 90. Casting needs are as follows:
        • Experienced volleyball players and coaches
        • Experienced stand ins (those who have stood in for actors in other projects)
        • Experienced medical types (doctors, nurses, ect.)
        Those interested and that meet the above criteria should e-mail a recent photo and contact information to lastsongextras@gmail.com for consideration.
        City of Savannah Film Office

Comment

Greg Kinnear and Kelly Preston join 'The Last Song' which began production in Georgia yesterday, they will play the parents of Miley Cyrus' character. The Touchstone Pictures production is scheduled to open January 8, 2010.

full story at:
          Kinnear, Preston join Cyrus in 'Song' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Comment

A cute feature in a local online paper in Georgia, locals send in their photos & they get posted:

Miley Cyrus with extras, crew and fans

A not so-cute feature, a 53-year old man is arrested for attempting to stalk the 16-year old star while in Savannah, Georgia filming Disney's 'The Last Song' after being reported by Disney Studio security:

Police search home of accused Miley Cyrus stalker
            Police search home of accused Miley Cyrus stalker - Yahoo! News

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X