• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ride Warrior
    Iron-Clad Allie
    • Feb 2005

J.J. Abrams' Re-Imagined STAR TREK: Movie Reviews

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcFLgkCKi1Q"]YouTube - Star Trek Movie Trailer[/ame]
    current trailer

The new Star Trek film was released on May 8th (2009) ..May 7th in a few locations. J.J. Abrams has said that he hopes to project an optomistic viw of the future in this film. Personally, I'm looking for an exciting/inticing blend of drama and action, along with a good dose of humor. I saw it today, and will report my review soon. Hopefully, this Trek will meet up with my expectations. I also look forward to reading the reviews of those who see the picture. Does it boldy go where no re-imagined film has gone before?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM"]YouTube - Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'[/ame]
    ^.....^.....^
    Here's a tongue and cheak mock news report on the early reactions of trekie fans. It's pretty funny.

Should prove fascinating to see both the original and new Spock in this film, and how Leonard Nimoy's iconic vulcan is fit into the story.

It is said that William Shatner opted out of taking on a role in the film as the scene(s) Abrams had in mind "just didn't feel right". Somehow I get the "feeling" this is just hyped-up showmanship, and that he plans on being in the next film, should this one prove commercially successful. What do you think? And again, I'm anxious to read everyone's reciews.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-13-2009, 06:08 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Coast21
    DCA FTW!
    • Apr 2008

Re: J.J. Abrams' Re-Imagined STAR TREK: Movie Reviews

Watched it last night, it was surprisingly great! (knew it was going to be good but not that good )
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
      Iron-Clad Allie
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coast21 View Post
      Watched it last night, it was surprisingly great! (knew it was going to be good but not that good )
      Wow! ..and Zow! Talk about an encouraging first reaction.

Comment

• Zorro825
        Rides against injustice
        • Feb 2005

I watched it last night and I loved it. Never beena fan of the series, but I really enjoyed this film
        Out of the NIGHT....
        When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
        Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
        ---------------------------------------

Comment

• Barbossa
          Infinitized!
          • Jan 2005

I knew I should've bought my BK drinking glasses yesterday. Now they're going to be all sold out.

Comment

• Gone2Disneyland
            Disneyland PAP
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
            It is said that William Shatner opted out of taking on a role in the film as the scene(s) Abrams had in mind "just didn't feel right". Somehow I get the "feeling" this is just hyped-up showmanship, and that he plans on being in the next film, should this one prove commercially successful.
            FWIW, here's a quote by Nimoy regarding the Abrams-Shatner media banter from an interview on TrekMovie:

TrekMovie: It seems like Chris [Pine] had a good time and hopefully we can put all that Bill vs. JJ nonsense behind us, because I don’t think it was ever as serious as people thought it was.

Nimoy: No. I think they were both playing it, frankly. I know Bill likes to play the press.

TrekMovie: I think some of this just doesn’t play well in print. Like back in 2007 in at the Trek convention in Vegas, you may have been there, when on stage Bill called JJ an a–hole. It is hard to convey his sense of humor when you just read it.

Nimoy: I wasn’t there for that so I can’t comment. Bill says JJ never offered him a role, JJ says he did, I am not passing judgment, it’s over.
            …and an excerpt from TrekMovie's interview with JJ Abrams about casting Shatner:

TrekMovie: You and the rest of guys are often described as Trek’s new ‘Supreme Court’. What would you say was the hardest decision that the court had to make with regards to this movie?

Abrams: …I think the hardest decision that I felt was not having William Shatner in the movie. And that really was because, as a non-fan, you feel like ‘you got to have Shatner in the movie - come on!’ And then I realized
            Spoiler
            he had died in [Star Trek: Generations], which I had not seen before I was working on the film, that getting him back in the movie would literally mean starting from scratch and coming up with a new story.
            And the decision to move forward, despite the necessity given our story, and to exclude the guy that everybody associates with the series - that bothered me. And yet I felt like we had to do this for this movie. Talk about the wrath. I thought we are going to eat it, fans are going to kill us. And yet the reason why I felt it might ultimately work for us is it felt like the righteous decision. It felt like we need to do it for the story, but the righteous decision is not always the easiest.

TrekMovie: So when you said at Comic Con 2007 that you were working hard to find a way, you really meant that.

Abrams: No question. …
            Edited to add: Oh, forgot to mention I'm seeing it a second time in IMAX again this afternoon with another set of friends. Saw it last night and was drawn into the story, I was bummed that it was suddenly over. Today, I get to relax and just enjoy it without looking for Trekkie Easter eggs and continuity issues. But it truly is a great movie first, that's also a great Star Trek movie (not episode) as well.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
              Iron-Clad Allie
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
              FWIW, here's a quote by Nimoy regarding the Abrams-Shatner media banter from an interview on TrekMovieTrekMovie's interview with JJ Abrams about casting Shatner:

Edited to add: Oh, forgot to mention I'm seeing it a second time in IMAX again this afternoon with another set of friends. Saw it last night and was drawn into the story, I was bummed that it was suddenly over. Today, I get to relax and just enjoy it without looking for Trekkie Easter eggs and continuity issues. But it truly is a great movie first, that's also a great Star Trek movie (not episode) as well.
              You sure know how to fit a lot of great information into one post, Gone2Disneyland. Sounds like Bill does have a sense of humor about it all. Of course, Shatner claims that it was he who told Abrams that the producer could't simply bring him back from the dead without explanation. I'm thinking that Shatner and Abrams will reach a consensus as to how to bring him into the next ST movie project. Judging by the initial positive reviews, I would strongly suspect that their will be another film featuring the new cast.

Can't wait to see it myself later today!

Comment

• ManaByte
                Banned User
                • Sep 2005

Imagine watching something that you loved beaten and left for dead. That's what happened when Berman and Braga killed off Star Trek in "These are the Voyages..." ending Enterprise and 40 years of Trek.

Well, JJ Abrams has brought Trek back to life in a way that you wouldn't believe.

While respecting what has come before in previous series and movies, this film reboots Trek for the 21st Century making it accessible to everyone and more fun that it's been in a long, long time. Everyone is perfectly cast in the iconic characters, ILM's special effects are amazing, the movie moves at an excellent clip where you'll never be looking at your watch, and it's filled with enough laughs, fun, emotion, and excitement that you'll not find a better way to spend $10 this summer.

If you can only see one movie in 2009, it must be this new Star Trek. There hasn't been a crowd pleasing Science Fiction blockbuster like this since the original Star Wars in 1977. Do not miss this!

Comment

• ManaByte
                  Banned User
                  • Sep 2005

You sure know how to fit a lot of great information into one post, Gone2Disneyland. Sounds like Bill does have a sense of humor about it all. Of course, Shatner claims that it was he who told Abrams that the producer could't simply bring him back from the dead without explanation. I'm thinking that Shatner and Abrams will reach a consensus as to how to bring him into the next ST movie project. Judging by the initial positive reviews, I would strongly suspect that their will be another film featuring the new cast.

Can't wait to see it myself later today!
                  They've been writing the sequel for a while now. The writers announced it at the Alamo Drafthouse screening a few weeks ago.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                    Iron-Clad Allie
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ManaByte View Post
                    Imagine watching something that you loved beaten and left for dead. That's what happened when Berman and Braga killed off Star Trek in "These are the Voyages..." ending Enterprise and 40 years of Trek.

Well, JJ Abrams has brought Trek back to life in a way that you wouldn't believe.

While respecting what has come before in previous series and movies, this film reboots Trek for the 21st Century making it accessible to everyone and more fun that it's been in a long, long time. Everyone is perfectly cast in the iconic characters, ILM's special effects are amazing, the movie moves at an excellent clip where you'll never be looking at your watch, and it's filled with enough laughs, fun, emotion, and excitement that you'll not find a better way to spend $10 this summer.

If you can only see one movie in 2009, it must be this new Star Trek. There hasn't been a crowd pleasing Science Fiction blockbuster like this since the original Star Wars in 1977. Do not miss this!
                    Abrams is indeed a pioneering hero. I think Gene Roddenberry would have been proud of him ..likely is in spirit.

Originally posted by ManaByte View Post
                    They've been writing the sequel for a while now. The writers announced it at the Alamo Drafthouse screening a few weeks ago.
                    Cool! Glad to know that time isn't being waisting in bringing a sequel to the screen, ManaByte.
                    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                      Iron-Clad Allie
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                      I knew I should've bought my BK drinking glasses yesterday. Now they're going to be all sold out.
                      You had better hurry, or I might be the one that ends up with your BK drinking glasses, Barbossa.

Comment

• Barbossa
                        Infinitized!
                        • Jan 2005

You had better hurry, or I might be the one that ends up with your BK drinking glasses, Barbossa.
                        I'm on my way out the door, heading to BK right now! )

Comment

• sediment
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

I'll try to see it. I'm guessing no major characters get killed off.
                          But then, I hear that
                          Spoiler

Kirk and Uhuru hook up. That was sooooo wrong back in the 1960's, which was/is the future of this movie.

Comment

• MasterGracey
                            Dateline Disneylander
                            • Jan 2005

I posted this last night in the other Star Trek thread:
                            ----

I just got home from seeing Star Trek.

Amazing.

I'm not really a Star Trek fan, I used to watch reruns of The Next Generation when I was a kid, but never really knew what was going on. This film is a great film. I went with a friend of mine who is a big Trekkie and she had very low expectations and came out very pleased.

I think this film succeeds in pleasing fans while reinventing the franchise in a way that stays true to its roots while becoming fresh and new enough to appeal to new fans.

It's a great film, slick, gorgeous to watch, a great cast, funny, emotional. There were a couple stylistic things (notably the frequent lens/light flares) that I thought were sometimes distracting, but everything else was great. Strong story, great acting.

I'm excited for a sequel.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• Xharryb
                              Happy Memories
                              • Jan 2005

I loved the film. It's the first film I've seen this year that had me leaving the theater excited and ready to see it again.

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                              But then, I hear that
                              Spoiler

Kirk and Uhuru hook up. That was sooooo wrong back in the 1960's, which was/is the future of this movie.
                              No, that spoiler is not exactly correct.
                              Spoiler
                              Kirk tries to hook up with Uhura frequently, but she turns him down every time. She eventually kisses another crew member though.

Comment

• Nancywitt
                                Faith, Trust & Pixie dust
                                • Mar 2006

Loved it! Not a huge fan of the orginal series, but can appreciate it and the fact that it is still popular 40 years later. I think this film did the orginal series justice. The actors were spot-on as their characters. I laughed out-loud many times and was actually driven to tears a few times as well. I can't wait to see where they go with this next.

One of my friends is a huge Star Trek fan and she hated it. She hated it from the very start when they "re-invented" Kirk's birth. And from there it when down hill for her. She understands the "twist" that makes this film possible and "believable," she just doesn't like the fact that they changed everything. Her thoughts were, why did they have to go and change a good thing? There was no way I could argue with her and try to make her understand, so I just said that at least she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.

Comment

• Gone2Disneyland
                                  Disneyland PAP
                                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nancywitt View Post
                                  she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.
                                  And I thought that was a clever "out" the writers came up with. Very clever. But they could only get away with it because the rest of the film was immensely entertaining. Obviously, you can't please everyone, and the makers of this flick knew that going in. And I have a friend who posted on FB this morning that he had some issues with it; I'm seeing him later today and looking forward to hearing what he has to say. But I'm a Trekkie/ker and thought it was awesome, and look forward to the brand new canvas they have to work with.

And on a related note, I popped in a classic Trek episode yesterday, "Shore Leave," and after seeing the new movie, it was very weird/cool/odd/melancholy seeing a young Leonard Nimoy/Spock, knowing what I know now from his experience in the new movie.

Comment

• Barbossa
                                    Infinitized!
                                    • Jan 2005

Ok, I've seen it.

Let's just say that all the Star Wars fans that were let down by the prequels, will want to defect to the Star Trek universe, and leave George Lucas in their dust.

The movie was awesome! I'm definitely going to go see it again. The actors were great. They all absorbed the mannerisms of the original actors really well.

Now, whatever, Ebert wrote in his review, ignore it. He wasn't paying attention, especially this part in his review, and it is not a spoiler:
                                    The logic is also a little puzzling when Scotty can beam people into another ship in outer space, but they have to physically parachute to land on a platform in the air from which the Romulans are drilling a hole to the Earth’s core.
                                    He wasn't paying attention. There is an explanation in the movie.
                                    If you want to read Roger Ebert's full review, go here:
                                    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997

Go see it. You'll love it.

(and I picked up a 2nd set of BK glasses after the movie )
                                    Last edited by Barbossa; 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• SnorkletsMom
                                      I see mouse people
                                      • Mar 2008

Saw it in IMAX last night. It was exceptionally good. My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime Trek fan and he absolutely loved it.

Comment

• RodeToad
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nancywitt View Post
                                        Loved it! Not a huge fan of the orginal series, but can appreciate it and the fact that it is still popular 40 years later. I think this film did the orginal series justice. The actors were spot-on as their characters. I laughed out-loud many times and was actually driven to tears a few times as well. I can't wait to see where they go with this next.

One of my friends is a huge Star Trek fan and she hated it. She hated it from the very start when they "re-invented" Kirk's birth. And from there it when down hill for her. She understands the "twist" that makes this film possible and "believable," she just doesn't like the fact that they changed everything. Her thoughts were, why did they have to go and change a good thing? There was no way I could argue with her and try to make her understand, so I just said that at least she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.
                                        As a fan of Trek, I loved it!

Your friend likely still won't like it, but here's one possibly positive thought for her to consider what might come from this movie, regarding "Why did they have to change a good thing"? This is a behind-the-scenes writers point of view that was reported about in the trade papers, before this latest film was even on the drawing boards: for the last several years of Trek's previous incarnations, the one major complaint of many writers in town, including those who were working on the existing TV shows and films (and / or on planned TV shows and films), was the Star Trek "Bible" (meaning the "rules" and "facts" of the Trek Universe) had become so large and so complex, that the stories that could actually be written about had become extremely constrictive, without any room for creativity, great story lines or growth for characters. The feeling was every time a great script came along, it would be so watered down after going through the "does it fit the Trek Bible" process, that the creative process was suffering, with less than desirable results. According to the writers, Trek was slowly killing itself off. Now, with the plot devices in this new film (which by the way, are very Trek plot devices!), they have a clean slate to create new, hopefully better than ever, entertaining films and shows. I hope they are right!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X