• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Circarama
    Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Feb 2005

NFFC to change name to "Disneyana Fan Club"

Just got an email tonight from the National Fantasy Fan Club (NFFC). On the occasion of their 25th anniversary, the NFFC is proposing a name change to the Disneyana Fan Club.

Here's a link to a letter for the members that explains the name change.

Members have until July 22, 2009 to vote on the name change.

Discuss...
    Last edited by Circarama; 06-22-2009, 06:06 AM.
    Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Re: NFFC to change name to "Disneyana Fan Club"

If it's okay for a Disney fan who's not a member of NFFC to comment...

Maybe it's just that I'm so used to hearing "NFFC" over the years, but to me, "Disneyana Fan Club" sounds less independent. Younger. Even a bit kidlike. And maybe a bit (no offense here)... Disney-marketing like...?

But the main thing to me about the sound of "Disneyana Fan Club" is that it feels like it overlaps with the territory of D23. Or rather, the other way around. When D23 was announced, my first reaction was that they were moving in on NFFC's territory. But with the name "Disneyana Fan Club," it seems like Disney is going to somehow absorb NFFC. Not literally, of course. Not in substance. But in independence, public perception and spirit.

Just my $.02. I'll respect whatever the Club membership wants.

EDIT: Okay, now I read the pdf. I'm sorry to hear that they've experienced "stagnation in the growth of our membership and declines in attendance at events such as the NFFC Conventions."

I'm sure the NFCC BOD knows their business, and that they're correct in identifying the name as the problem -- and that changing the name is truly "critical to the continued long-term success of our club"

I would only say for more than 20 years, every fantasy, sci fi, animation and Disney fan that I've known, knows what NFFC is. I've never heard of any confusion or ambiguity caused by the name.

Which makes me wonder if there might be some other reason(s) for the stagnation in membership growth? And if so, will changing names help bring in new members... or hurt by distancing their base membership?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-22-2009, 07:03 AM.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Circarama
      Gumball Rally Godfather
      • Feb 2005

Personally, I'm happy to see what the NFFC is trying to accomplish. I always thought that the name was silly, but understood it from a legal perspective which made it even more silly. So from that perspective, I'm glad that the Club is going to be called something that describe3s what it is: A Disneyana fan club.

Whether or not it's going to accomplish what they're hoping for is another thing entirely. I see D23 as a big threat to many fan-based Disneyana clubs. It's my understanding that D23 (and Walt Disney Imagineering) is not considered to be a profit-based division of the Walt Disney Company in the way that Theme Parks, Pixar and Merchandising are. Consequently, they are capable of producing events that are subsidized by TWDC, which other fan-based organizations (like the NFFC) are not capable of doing. They have an all-access pass to any part of TWDC that could spin a profit from one of their events. And while great for the Disney fan, it might not bode so well for the older fan-based organizations that are now competing with D23.

Please understand, I think that the D23 concept is something that TWDC should have done a long time ago, and frankly I'm glad that they are finally embracing the internet-centric Disney fan community. Having said that, I do think that it's going to be more challenging for other Disney fan-based organizations to conduct business as usual.
      MiceChat User #1037

Comment

• Dustysage
        Man of mystery and
        MiceChat Administrator
        • Jan 2005

I don't think it makes sense for the NFFC to take a "Disney" name. We are "Mice"Chat and not "Disney"Chat for a reason. That reason being that we don't own the Disney name and have no right to trade upon it. "Disneyana" is a term heavly used by Disney itself and has "Disney" in the name. If the NFFC makes this move, it would certainly open them up to legal troubles with Disney (or at least the potential). Perhaps even provoke Disney to pull out of their future conventions and events.

Better for the NFFC to keep their name but do a better job of describing what they are, rather than further confusing people by changing their name and possibly upsetting Disney (the company whose help is critical to the NFFC's success).

Just my thoughts - but it sounds like the NFFC is on a self-destruction course if they head down this path.

-Dusty
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
        Save

Comment

• Circarama
          Gumball Rally Godfather
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
          If the NFFC makes this move, it would certainly open them up to legal troubles with Disney (or at least the potential). Perhaps even provoke Disney to pull out of their future conventions and events.
          Apparently they already contacted Disney regarding the use of their name...

Originally posted by NFFC letter to members
          For these reasons, NFFC President Kendra Trahan asked Vice President of Finance Gary Schaengold to contact the Walt Disney Company and ask if they had any objections to our using the word “Disneyana” as the basis for a new name for the club. Recently, the company informed the NFFC that they have no objection to use of the word “Disneyana” in our name.

I do agree with you though Dusty regarding the NFFC marketing themselves better. Not to bash the NFFC (especially since I've personally benefited from some of their local events), but I've always been a little bothered by the "corporate structure" feeling I get from this organization. There is an awful lot of emphasis placed on the election of board members and board meetings, etc. I've always looked at my Disney interests as an escape' from the mundane, legalistic world in which we live. Being reminded of the fact that there is yet another board position upon which I must vote is a BIG turn-off.
          Last edited by Circarama; 06-22-2009, 02:38 PM.
          MiceChat User #1037

Comment

• ALIASd
            Top Shelf!
            MiceChat News Team
            • Jun 2005

It's a mistake to lend the valuable, monetarily and perception-wise, Disneyana brand to an outside entity. It's really out of character for their legal to be so generous, especially with even the possibility of any negative shadow being brought back to their door.

D23 is a threat to the existing organization. For Disney to now throw them or anyone else a bone with even the appearance of adoption is odd considering D23 is only a few months old. Why favor a distant acquaintance over your own kid?

In D23 at it's core they have fianlly produced a club that creates the perception of an even greater loyalty than the next Disney fan due to a membership card. But it's their memebrship card, loyalty and perception of what Disney means. They should continue to protect and serve it.
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• Circarama
              Gumball Rally Godfather
              • Feb 2005

Apparently, Disney let go of the "Disneyana" name some time back...

The Disneyana Exchange Service

Welcome to Disneyana.com :: A Celebration of Magic!

Disneyana World

Welcome to DISNEYANA.NET

Disneyana

Disneyana
              MiceChat User #1037

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

^ Yikes. With that much use of Disneyana already out there, how is being another Disneyana going to help NFFC?

(And not to bash 'em, but I agree with Charlie's post above re the corporate-speak. They've had that tone since 'way back... it's the reason I kept putting off joining, and finally never did.)
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Aladdin
                  Prince Ali
                  • Jan 2005

I think a name change for the NFFC is a step in the right direction.

As for the new proposed name, there is also a "Disneyana" magazine out there, which I don't believe is associated directly with the Disney Company. So, as Charlie said, Disney may have lost out on trademarking the name "Disneyana". It would certainly be interesting know know more about that particular background.

Overall, the name change for NFFC would be good thing, people who are already associated with it, wouldn't be frightened or turned off by the name change. And the new proposed name would finally identify the group, with what the group is all about - that being Disney. Quite frankly, I could never understand why they would have started off a Disney fan club, without "Disney" somewhere in the name of the organization. National Fantasy Fan Club leaves is open to all sorts of interpretation as to what it could be - is it a fan club for all types of fantasy, including the likes of Harry Potter, Dungeons and Dragons Fan's, and all sorts of other realms? And only saying "National" limits the scope of the club too!

They might as well identify the clubs name with it's main focus, and open it up to worldwide fans of Disney. When I was a member, I never really did care for the name. And the big giant logo "NFFC" on shirts or buttons didn't mean much either. I think they would be increasing the marketability of the club, with the name change. Granted there are probably other changes they could be making, but it's a step in the right direction.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• DOOM BGI
                    Padawan
                    • May 2005

A name change for NFFC is long overdue. It never made sense to me, since it doesn't seem like they ever focused on any other "fantasy" genre but Disney. But, with the advent of Disney's own D23, I think it's too late for them anyway.

And I'm supposed to be a member of NFFC and I never even got any email.
                    --Jonathan

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X