Is anybody going to have a problem seeing Depp as the Mad Hatter?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goover
    I eat TR's for breakfast!
    • Jul 2008

Is anybody going to have a problem seeing Depp as the Mad Hatter?

I don't know about you, but from the previews, he still seems like his "Jack Sparrow" self.

The voice, and heck, even partly his looks still reminds me of Captain Jack.

I could be crazy for thinking this but really, It's going to take a long time before I start seeing him as a Mad Hatter in the film.

I mean he even says "You naughty".

Does that not scream Jack Sparrow all over it, around it, and through it?
  • Anders
    back to basics
    • Apr 2005

Re: Is anybody going to have a problem seeing Depp as the Mad Hatter?

his portrayal of the Mad Hatter in the trailer totally reminded me of Captain Jack, just his mannerisms and everything. I love Depp, but this is one time where I feel he will be too involved in the film for what his character should be, even if this isn't exactly a retelling of the traditional Alice in Wonderland story.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

• JFSebastian
      Storyteller
      • May 2008

Ugh I'm so tired of this Tim Burton/Johnny Depp pairing. Don't get me wrong, they've made some great movies together like Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, and Ed Wood, but now it's just constant and the quality is getting lower. In my opinion, Burton's remakes are fairly sub-par (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Planet of the Apes) and he now is no longer the original creative talent that he used to be. It seems his movies are so much more about the style and the visuals on-screen than the true substance, character, and emotion that once graced his films.

Depp is a great actor, don't get me wrong, but he needs to get far away from Tim Burton. Alice in Wonderland will be the 7th Tim Burton collaboration. Depp shouldn't be known as "Tim's Boy". I feel like Depp's taking all these overly-flamboyant, schticky roles to gain a bigger fanbase with teenage girls and isn't concerned about being apart of intelligent, artfully made films anymore. I mean, really, Alice in Wonderland is not all about the Mad Hatter, but the trailer for the new film would have you to believe so.

I don't know, I'm just tired of seeing Johnny Depp not challenge himself with roles anymore. I'm also sick of Tim Burton getting lazy and not making strong films like he has in the past.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
        враг народа
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JFSebastian View Post
        I mean, really, Alice in Wonderland is not all about the Mad Hatter, but the trailer for the new film would have you to believe so.
        The books are not, but this film takes places later.

Comment

• SusieP.
          Ravenclaw

• Jan 2005

I'm sure it will be just fine, but yes, the choice of Johnny Depp was just so...obvious. So that makes it a little disappointing. I'll still see it though.
          A signature should go here.

Comment

• TinkPink
            I used to live here.
            • Feb 2005

I'm excited. I haven't seen anything yet from Burton that isn't spectacular and that includes everything that he's done with Depp. I expect this will be fantastic.

And I think Depp as the Hatter looks oddly like Elijah Wood.
            �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

• AlohaStitch
              "Always On The Move..."
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by TinkPink View Post

And I think Depp as the Hatter looks oddly like Elijah Wood.
              You not the only one. (And I'm a HUGE Depp fan). Everytime I see pics of The Hatter... I see Elijah Wood. (So does a number of other people I know.. as we've all talked about it.)
              Originally posted by migo
              I poop with joy!
              Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• Stitchy
                Disappearing/Reappearing
                • Jun 2006

I'm a ginormous Depp fan, so of course...I'm biased. I am pretty anxious to see the movie, and I for one, am thrilled anytime there's a Burton/Depp pairing. They work great together. So, I will lean on the bright side, hope for the best, and reserve judgement till I actually see the movie

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                  How do you do?
                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                  • Jan 2005

Honestly? The movie intrigues me, but some of the character designs I don't like at all.
                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• twinmom
                    My cuties!
                    • Apr 2005

Comment

• lesmisfan
                      • Feb 2006

i love what his mad hatter looks like so far. the i never saw captain jack in there at all except maybe the accent but they are both from england so it works.

Comment

• DATman
                        would love some pie
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by JFSebastian View Post
                        Ugh I'm so tired of this Tim Burton/Johnny Depp pairing. Don't get me wrong, they've made some great movies together like Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, and Ed Wood, but now it's just constant and the quality is getting lower.
                        The last movie they filmed together was one of your favorites. How does that equal the quality getting lower?
                        KABLAM!

Comment

• Nancywitt
                          Faith, Trust & Pixie dust
                          • Mar 2006

I may be the only one who thinks Johnny's Mad Hatter is completely different then his Captain Sparrow. When I first saw the teaser trailer, I did not know that was Johnny in the voice-over. It did not sound a bit like Sparrow, and of course he doesn't look like him as well. The trailer was very short so I think we need to see the entire movie before judging too harshly. I for one can't wait and think the Depp/Burton team is fabulous. They have not dissapointed me yet.

Comment

• Stitchy
                            Disappearing/Reappearing
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by twinmom View Post
                            I saw this the other day! Had to tell hubby about it. Too funny.

Originally posted by Nancywitt View Post
                            I may be the only one who thinks Johnny's Mad Hatter is completely different then his Captain Sparrow. When I first saw the teaser trailer, I did not know that was Johnny in the voice-over. It did not sound a bit like Sparrow, and of course he doesn't look like him as well. The trailer was very short so I think we need to see the entire movie before judging too harshly. I for one can't wait and think the Depp/Burton team is fabulous. They have not dissapointed me yet.
                            I'm with you. I had NO idea that was Johnny on the voiceover. Sounded like nothing I had heard him do before. I am very much looking forward to this picture.

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                              Mrs. J. Depp
                              • Mar 2008

As a HUGE fan of Johnny Depp and also a newfound appreciator of Tim Burton, I think this film will be awesome and will deliver immensely. For those of you who think this is supposed to be based on the Disney version of Alice, throw away your expectations. I am thrilled to see this, Depp is the perfect Mad Hatter (I love all of his quirky roles), and Tim Burton is pretty darn brilliant. In no way do I see Jack Sparrow through the Hatter persona. Yes it is the same person and some of the mannerisms are going to be there naturally. He has already brought a more diverse character to the table than I would have thought.

Facebook me!
                              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• Rocker
                                I Don't Care
                                • Sep 2006

After seeing his look as the Mad Hatter, it might actually be kind of cool. The Mad Hatter is kind of flamboyant, so Depp I think might have made it right.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

• ashfordT
                                  I am McLovin.
                                  • Jul 2009

They've never done bad together, and every movie I've seen them work together in had never disappointed me. And if he's doing great as an actor with Burton, then there really isn't a reason for him to get a bigger challenge. And he isn't the only actor/actress Burton collaborates with constantly; Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman are also in a number of Burton's movies.

And Tim Burton probably isn't giving up his imagination, the movies he redid are movies that he probably loved his whole life, and Sweeney Todd is his favourite musical.

'Nuff said.
                                  Oh. That looks nice.
                                  -TikiRoomLiz

Comment

• SnorkletsMom
                                    I see mouse people
                                    • Mar 2008

I don't see any similarity in Depp's voice between films, any films. He always uses a slightly different tone and even his 'normal' speaking voice doesn't sound like the voices of his characters.
                                    This film isn't based on "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", but on the sequel book "Through the Looking Glass" It looks interesting and possibly a bit scary. I'm looking forward to it.
                                    And let's not blame either Depp or Burton for his large presence in the trailer...the studios cut trailers to entice people. They feature the most popular actor, using him essentially as bait. That in no way means the Mad Hatter is the star of the film or has the most screen time. It just means people really like Johnny Depp!

Comment

• sunnygirl
                                      rainy day girl
                                      • Apr 2005

I'm not holding high expectations for this film. I wonder when Tim Burton will be daring enough to make a film that doesn't feature Johnny Depp or his wife? I enjoy both Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, but I feel like Burton has overused them both. And I don't see a lot of Sparrow in the Mad Hatter, but I definitely get that Willie Wonka feel. Meh.
                                      Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pirate Lover 68
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Mar 2007

I don't think a director that uses similar cast members risks "over-using" any of them as long as they are talented actors. And since in this case we are talking about Depp and Bonham Carter, I think Burton is doing alright. The Coen bros use many of the same actors, Mamet frequently uses a stock number of actors, there are just some film makers that like using actors they know they can count on and enjoy working with.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X