This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Hobbit" - New Line get's the go-ahead to film

And Bilbo is . . . Tom Cruise? | Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net?

This better be somebody's idea of a VERY bad joke.

Of course, the article states that it's not very likely, but still, sent shivers down my spine.

Not only is Tom Cruise too old, even I don't think Peter Jackson is that stupid.

Other rumors have Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) playing Bilbo. That I can see.

Also, Entertainment Weekly is reporting this week that Peter Jackson is closer to stepping into the Directors chair for the two prequels.

Finally, an olive branch.

Of course, even if the lawsuit is settled tomorrow, there are still a few details to iron out before The Hobbit could get made. Like a script, for instance, which nobody has actually written. In the past, Jackson has suggested that he would make two films, with the second one filling in the story arc between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of Rings. Although Tolkien never wrote a novel bridging the eras, he did scatter clues in shorter pieces and epilogues that could form the basis of a screenplay. This is not unprecedented. Jackson, Walsh, and screenwriting partner Philippa Boyens enhanced the Rings love story between Mortensen's and Liv Tyler's characters with material from Tolkien's extensive appendixes.

Still, it's hard to imagine Jackson having time to direct one Hobbit movie, let alone two. He will soon begin shooting his adaptation of the best-selling novel The Lovely Bones in Pennsylvania. And after that, he's scheduled to make Tintin with Steven Spielberg. There's speculation that New Line might offer him a deal to executive-produce The Hobbit, letting him pick a proxy director and oversee the production. That might be enough to keep fans' hearts from breaking, but would it be enough for Jackson? Amazingly, after all he's been through — eight years making Rings and several more in court fighting over it — the Shire still holds him in its spell. In fact, Jackson may turn out to be the only person who never once lost hope in the movie. Even in 2003, when his relationship with New Line was quite bleak, Jackson was still giving editions of The Hobbit as gifts. ''Great book,'' he wrote in one copy. ''Wonder when the movie's coming out??''

Reporting by Missy Schwartz and Vanessa Juarez. Additional reporting by Nicole Sperling
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM.

Re: "The Hobbit" - Is Peter Jackson on board? And Tom Cruise???

I LOL'd big time at the subject when I got to Tom Cruise.

because he's kind of short, see...

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Yeah, if it was The Onion I'd be :lmao:

Comment

Does this mean Bilbo will be worshipping Xenu? :lol:

Comment

Good post. I'll vomit if Tom Cruise is involved.
          Originally posted by Aristocat
          I miss David.
          Originally posted by Ginarella
          All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

Comment

Eeewwww...sweet Xenu on a stick, no. No Tom Cruise, no no. Just because an actor is short, doesn't mean he's a good choice to play a hobbit.

Comment

There really are a lot of names floating around for who is being seriously considered. Just about all of the main actors have said, "thanks but no thanks" when they were talked to about their chances. James McAvoy has not yet...

That is who i put my money on. Not only would he be amazing, but he looks "hobbity" if you go by movie standards and not book.

McAvoy FTW

Comment

Shoot... I'd been hearing that Guillermo del Toro was going to direct, and Peter Jackson would just produce because his fight with New Line. I'd even heard from people close to Guillermo that this was the case.

And from a story point of view, don't forget that Bilbi was already around 50 when the Hobbit took place. Or was that Frodo?
                My Inspirations:
                Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
                AND
                Robert and Richard Sherman

Comment

I hate to be that guy, but the EW article quoted here is from 2007 -- notice the date on the cover image.

Peter Jackson is not going to direct the "Hobbit" films; Guillermo Del Toro is definitely the man behind the camera. He's even talking about it in this article that was published Monday: Guillermo Del Toro Talks 'Hobbit' Rumors

I think they should just cast Elijah Wood as Bilbo. Why not?
                  "I really do have love to give. I just don't know where to put it."

Comment

I'm not a Tom Cruise fan at all, HOWEVER the one movie that I love him in is Interview With the Vampire. When people first heard about his involvement in that film, there was a huge outcry of disgust and disbelief from everyone, including the author Anne Rice. There was no way anyone could picture Tom Cruise playing Lestat. Well he proved every critic wrong and won over even Anne Rice with his portrayal. He is deliciously evil and foppish and even pulled off being a long haired blond.

I still don't like Tom Cruise, but I believe he's capable of surprising people. I'd rather they use someone lesser known, but we'll see.

Comment

^^Because Frodo isn't a direct descendent of Bilbo, so they wouldn't necessarily look alike. The person to be cast as Bilbo needs to bear a resemblance to the Bilbo cast in LOTR. It only makes sense, as actors in LOTR are coming back to their roles in the Hobbit.
                      KABLAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                        Shoot... I'd been hearing that Guillermo del Toro was going to direct, and Peter Jackson would just produce because his fight with New Line. I'd even heard from people close to Guillermo that this was the case.

And from a story point of view, don't forget that Bilbi was already around 50 when the Hobbit took place. Or was that Frodo?
                        Both. I just started the LOTR again for the umpteenth time, and if Bilbo is 111 when the party is given, he'd have been in his 60's or so when he went off on his adventure. I'm thinking they need someone who looks closer to Ian Holm but younger to really get it right. I can't see either Tom Cruise or Daniel Radcliff at all. They seem way too young...even in hobbit years.

How much of a nerd am I that I'm thinking in Hobbit years? :blush:

Comment

Legal settlement clears way for 'Hobbit' movie (Reuters) - Yahoo! Movies

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Hollywood studio behind a film based on "The Hobbit" and trustees for author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate said on Tuesday they had settled a lawsuit that clears the way for what is expected to be a blockbuster movie based on the book.
                          "The Hobbit" is a 1937 book by Tolkien about a diminutive character named Bilbo Baggins who goes on a treasure-seeking adventure, and it sets the stage for Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, with its epic tale of magic and warfare.
                          The "Lord of the Rings" books were made into three films released by New Line Cinema between 2001 and 2003 that made about $2.9 billion at worldwide box offices, and similarly "The Hobbit" is widely expected to be a blockbuster hit.
                          But in February 2008, the trustees of the Tolkien's estate filed a lawsuit against New Line, a division of Time Warner Inc, seeking more than $150 million in profits from the "Rings" movies, it claimed it was owed.
                          The lawsuit also sought to block filming of "The Hobbit," which will now be made into two movies by Guillermo del Toro, the filmmaker behind "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy."

Comment

Re: "The Hobbit" - New Line get's the go-ahead to film

Tom Cruise.....I laugh. I'll cry if I find out that is true, but for now I'll just laugh.:lol:

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
                            "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
                            "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

Comment

Re: "The Hobbit" - New Line get's the go-ahead to film

Nice little interview with Del Toro that gives some insight into the process and what can be expected: Film features: Guillermo Del Toro On Making The Hobbit | TotalFilm.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X